Nothing like a real Plexi

I should add my Boss Stereo Chorus and Super Overdrive in front of the Bandit, all taking the signal from my Ibanez strat copy and fiddley fingers. I think it would be a really bad idea to try and reproduce those tones on the Axe. They died a well deserved death in the 80's...

My first "amp of sorts" was my dad's old reel-to-reel recorder/player. It had what was likely a little 4"-5" speaker and this awesome "green glowing eye" for lack of a better term, on the surface near the input. The top 120 degrees or so (of a circle) was open when no signal was attached, then the two sides would swing up to meet at the top, when there was too much signal. It was the weirdest thing, but at least I had a couple of watts of tube power from my $25 Teisco guitar from K-Mart. Haha. How things have changed!

Last edited:
Peavey's had a bad era for amps... they started sounding decent... heck the rockmaster preamp sounded pretty good if i remember correctly.
Had a Rockmaster preamp. It appears there also was a head with the same name. I loved that preamp through a Mesa 50/50. Traded it in for a M/B Studio Preamp that I couldn't get a good sound out of. Traded that back in for a new Rockmaster preamp. However that second one wasn't as sweet as the first...

Cliff, like luke and some others, I would really love to have the option of doing various input jumpering on the Plexi. I am especially interested in the technique that Eric Johnson uses for his lead tone, where he has a Y-split between the top inputs I and II. Any chance these options could be added?

Cliff, like luke and some others, I would really love to have the option of doing various input jumpering on the Plexi. I am especially interested in the technique that Eric Johnson uses for his lead tone, where he has a Y-split between the top inputs I and II. Any chance these options could be added?

Im pretty sure Cliff posted a while ago somewhere that jumpering wasnt doable.
Idk if mimic changes this.
Would be great to have, running normal and treble together now isnt quite right.

Im pretty sure Cliff posted a while ago somewhere that jumpering wasnt doable.
Idk if mimic changes this.
Would be great to have, running normal and treble together now isnt quite right.

We've been trying to get a jumpered Plexi for years. Aint gonna happen.

Why wouldn't it be possible? How is it different from modeling anything else about an amp? Even if it required separate models, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Hell, the Eleven Rack does it.

Couldn't you just blend between Treble and Normal Plexi AMP blocks to achieve a similar effect?

Why wouldn't it be possible? How is it different from modeling anything else about an amp? Even if it required separate models, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Hell, the Eleven Rack does it.

Just because 11R does it, does not mean that their way of doing it is a great version.(Like the Axe stuff)
I'm not sure but even if the model of a jumpered Plexi was created and Mimiced it would require a unique GUI. I think that could be a big problem. What would the extra master volume be used for in all the other models?
Maybe the Drive knob on the Axe could be Volume 1 on the Plexi model and the Master knob on the Axe could be Volume 2 on the Plexi. This would maybe mean that there is no way to change the master trim, for Volume 1,
since I believe there is going to be a master trim in FW 10.

But please take all this with a huge grain of salt, since I actually have no idea of what I'm really talking about. I have no clue about the inside of the Axe or its code.

Regards Jeser

When jumpered, the 1st stages of the plexi preamp run in parallel. Those two signal paths are then mixed with the volume pots into the stage driving the tone stack. It's almost like running two preamps in parallel ... or maybe more correctly 1.5 preamps. :geek

Circuit-wise that is very different from the usual series cascading of preamp stages stage1->stage2->etc. My guess is that this feature is Axe III territory because of the unorthodox circuit topology.

BTW, I don't believe for a second that the Eleven Rack really has those parallel signal paths in their plexi model. They probably just tweaked a normal circuit model to approximate the sound the best they could and called it a day. Apologies to Avid if I'm wrong :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom