Not getting tone match

gibvictory

Inspired
Using the Quick Tone Matching tutorial in the sticky. Tone matching my Triaxis. Created a preset like the video: FXL in one row and Amp and Tone Match block in another row. For the Amp I picked USA pre green which is LD 2 green on Triaxis. Output 2 left of AXF2 is connected to the Triaxis input. Output from Triaxis to input 2 left of AXF2. I have also tried record out on Triaxis to input 2 of AXF2. Reference source is input 2. Pressed X and recorded tone. Pressed Y and matched. The origional tone is pretty dirty as intended. The matched tone in the AXF2 is clean. Also tried guitar into Triaxis with output into AXF2 input 2 with the same result. Other videos show Tone Matching with usb although I watched them to see if I missed anything. Any Suggestions?

You don't need to tone match your Triaxis. The model is MIMIC'd so it's already been done for you.

Having trouble dialing it in. Used the settings on the Triaxis as a guide. Amp modeling and cab sim off in global. Still very new to the AXE. Thought I'd try a tone match. Using a 20/20 power amp and 1-12 v30 cab. Was hoping to use it for a Friday night gig. I'll take the pressure off myself and use old rig. Still very excited to have the Axe.

When PowerAmpSim = Off, Presence become a Shelf-Filter. Set it to Noon, this should match the real deal.

I read that and tried it. It helped a little but I fooled around with too many things. Now that I'm not possessed to be gig ready Friday night I will reset everything and start over. Only saved a few things. Mabye I'll download the new firmware and go from there. Thanks for the comments.

axe fx models presence noon is 10.0 in real triaxis, remember that.

I would like to have the triaxis presence MIMIC'd 0.0-10.0 like in real triaxis. It's too bright, compared to other Mesa Mark models, 5.0 presence is too much in triaxis and in axe fx you can't go below that :(

The origional tone is pretty dirty as intended. The matched tone in the AXF2 is clean.

Tone Matching doesn't set Amp block parameters for you, TMA creates a match EQ to use with the Amp block. For best results dial in the Amp block as close as possible before matching. In another thread you indicated you wanted to match the Triaxis' recording out (IIRC you're currently sending the recording out to FOH and want to send a similar tone from the Axe to FOH). Comparing the Amp block to the Triaxis recording out won't be easy so try putting a Cab block after the Amp block and use the 4x12 Cali cab when dialing in the Amp block. Also, as Cliff noted, the Triaxis model has been MIMIC'd so the Axe settings should be close to your Triaxis (there are a few Triaxis versions and component variance makes each Triaxis a little different so the settings on the model and your Triaxis may be a little different).

Getting the Amp block tone close to the Triaxis helps but getting the gain right is critical; in real amps, and in the Axe, gain settings affect distortion and also tone and feel (different gain settings hit the tubes with different input voltages which change the tubes performance affecting tone and feel). The best way to dial in the Amp block's gain is to set it the same as your Triaxis and play your guitar and see how they match up - tweak the Axe if needed. Now roll back your guitar volume until the Triaxis starts to clean up, if the Axe model cleans up like the Triaxis then your ready to go, if not then tweak the drive settings on the Axe until it cleans up like your Triaxis.

Now disable the Cab block and do the Tone Match.

BTW were you getting changes in the TMA graph with your prior TMA attempts?

I almost didn't see this. I've been A/Bing between my triaxis and the usa pre green and that seems to be working right now. I just thought a tone match would be a quick and easy short cut. There is a bit more to it. Not only could there be differences between Triaxis' but I have Sylvania tubes that I like and that changes things a bit. I will try your approach. Thank you.
Yes I was getting changes and what seemed to be identical graphs for both X and Y. I didn't put a cab block in because I played both the Triaxis preset and the Axe tone match through my guitar amp and cabinet. The tone match didn't come close. That was two days before a gig and I just surrendered and used my regular rig. Got another gig this weekend. Mabye I'll be ready. Not going FRFR right now with the AXE so I was looking to increase the chances of getting a FOH tone my soundman would be comfortable with. Could always make it better after.

The easiest solution for now might be to not use tone match. Instead, after the amp block split to 2 rows and put a Cab block and FX Loop on one row. The Loop will send the cab row to Output 2 and send that to FOH. Send Output 1 to your power amp and cab.

Thanks again. That's exactly what I intend to set it up. Got several patches that should get me through the gig on Friday. Just have to find a cab block that will work for FOH.

Thanks again. That's exactly how I intend to set it up. Got several patches that should get me through the gig on Friday. Just have to find a cab block that will work for FOH.

Back
Top Bottom