Not completly happy with 9.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
rocketmorton52 said:
If this shit keeps goin' on, Cliff won't know WHAT to do. He will freeze like a deer in the headlights,the updates will STOP.

I for one appreciate his dedication and hard work.

If a new update means I gotta tweak a few settings... so be it.
Before I had the AXE,I owned just about every other "box" out there and I had to tweak like a mad man just to get a usable sound.
Now I KNOW every sound IS in there...at least I'm not twekin' for nothing.

Peace,my fellow AXE FX brethren.

just my .02$

+1

so we are held hostage then? no questions for updates? a lot of progress and improvements have been added by people asking questions that otherwise would not happen. maybe some people arent touring pros that have had umpteen hundreds of amps, and dont know how to say what they are hearing.

rude is rude.. plain and simple. I think it would behoove a lot of people to stop and think when they answer someone... "would i say it this way if i were face to face", then write the response. it just really brings me down when i come here and see people getting flogged for asking a question or bringing up a point that could be valid. Now someone can respond by saying "well dont come here then" ugggh. :roll:

I think one of the greatest problems is that everyone has a different periphery, i.e. different guitars, different poweraps/cabs. After updating the axe will sound different, better or not, depending on the periphery. It would be great to have a measur we could compare the changed ampmodels from FW to FW. Does it require a too great deal of energy, if Cliff takes a standard Fender Strat / Les Paul, one of his favorite basic clean, crunch, distorted sounds and play a short example through an Fratomic, video recorded and direct recorded? So everyone could hear the difference to the former FW. What does it mean for a user who gets a worse result? Go on tweaking or think your periphery over.
A good idea or not?

dpeterson said:
so we are held hostage then? no questions for updates? a lot of progress and improvements have been added by people asking questions that otherwise would not happen. maybe some people arent touring pros that have had umpteen hundreds of amps, and dont know how to say what they are hearing.

With all due respect...

I agree with your point, that the community has inspired lots of great stuff that has ended up in the Axe-Fx. But 'held hostage' ??? Not at all. Step back and look at the big picture. There are dozens of updates, and we're free to stick with any version we choose.

'Held hostage'... is when you buy an expensive processor/amp/gizmo and get NO support, updates, or communication from the manufacturer, until you finally find out that the product has been abandoned.

I think we have an embarrassment of riches with the Axe-Fx. Personally, I've struggled mightily with lots of the updates and refinements. In the end, I've always ended up happier with my sound, and more knowledgeable about the box.

The forum is a great place to discuss and even voice criticisms about the Axe-Fx. But if the user-base starts pulling in too many different directions, it can only lead to the 'hermit-ization' of the developer. That will suck.

Nobody was rude in here...it was just a simple question!

I think it's not just a language problem, it's a problem how people talk to each other. In the US (from what I heard when I was working for the european partner of Clair Systems some years back) people would give you compliments if you do a good job, if your job was not that great, they simply saying nothing. If the job was worse than *******, they saying something negative.
In Europe, people tend to say nothing if the job was great, they saying something negative when the job was not that good.

So please keep that in mind, that we have to share our thoughts when ever something is not quite right in our eyes. It's not about bitching and hassle.....it's just because we share our thoughts in a polite and correct way.

bmi (and me either) have fun to use the unit and we're very thankfull for the endless and great support from fractal audio, we just not always talk about it (see the explaination above).

Peace, over and out!

Mr.PC

Philip said:
If Cliff was as awesome as he claims to be, he would release a patch that would allow me to dual-boot my Axe and run both firmware versions simultaneously. No, wait- virtual machine- let me boot 7.4 from within 9.03.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil

Not sure what started all the negativity, I assumed the comment was meant as sarcasm, not a cheap shot (maybe my assumption was wrong). At any rate, that's what's special about Cliff and the Axe Fx. You can choose whatever version (previous or current) that works for you. No big deal, right? ;)

i have the axe fx since about 2 years (i think it was the 2. batch from g66) and i like 9.03 - i think the axe is getting better and better and the update work from cliff is excellent - but that´s me :D

I personally feel the clean sounds are much improved with the latest updates - the OD sounds only needed some touch-ups, and it was worth the minor tweaking to get the great cleans.

I think its perfectly acceptable to be critical and flatly say you don't like something. And i do agree that at one point on this forum, or actually until the past year or so, a post with anything but praise what swallowed whole by flames.

I think however you are entitled to the flames however if you come up with something like "i dont like the default values which i know i can change to suit me, but... i just dont feel like it". Thats not critical, thats just whining and lazy.

If it were something like say... "Hey cliff , how about user assignable global defaults?", that actually makes sense. Thats actually HELPFULL. But otherwise, you've got to realize that cliff can't make you custom firmware. What you like for defaults may sound like crap for another , and bug them just as much.

Cliff has found the best compromise, by giving us TWEAKABLE parameters ( which i'd love to see even more of), and if you simply won't make use of them, then you have as others have stated, serious "entitlement" issues.
~mx~

marvinx said:
"i dont like the default values which i know i can change to suit me, but... i just dont feel like it". Thats not critical, thats just whining and lazy.

No it's not....because you don't understand the point! I never get the same sound (actually it's far far far away from the default values) again which I had on 7.04 with 9.02. Believe me, I tried many hours......and I know the advanced parameters pretty quite well!

http://www.pacocasanovas.ch/Pacolation.mp3 (made with 7.04)

I guess this says it all: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... ostcount=4

So how I can reproduce the tone nicely without getting back to 7.04? You tell me....
I'm quite near, but I can't reproduce those nice feedback breakover effects......
marvinx said:
by giving us TWEAKABLE parameters

I tried..... ;) Not once, not twice....I tried multiple times.....so what I can't get there unless I go back to 7.04.

Be honest, I'm not a great player, call myself a hobby-musician, so don't take it too serious....it's just me! :lol: :oops:

I'm not angry.....it's just a simple fact that the basic tone engine (you call it defaults) changed dramatically, which can makes it really hard to keep a great sound that great or improve it with the new feature set. You can build it up from the scratch again. Not so funny for everyone, unless you like to tweak your gear more than you may like to play your instrument :lol:

It's all good here..... ;) But please make a difference between "whining an lazy" or those folks who actually tried it! I guess you can count "bmi" in here too.....

EDIT: listen to the lead sound here (it's the same patch with 9.02, sounds great to my ears too...but I can't reach the soft and smooth tone I had on 7.04) http://www.pacocasanovas.ch/hipkick.mp3

Radley said:
I personally feel the clean sounds are much improved with the latest updates - the OD sounds only needed some touch-ups, and it was worth the minor tweaking to get the great cleans.

Indeed.

OD and Higain sounds got some more high end but it's not the end of the world,
you may either play it that way or cut them off by using several tools at your disposal.
I also haven't realized what "ducky" sound is and it would be nice to have an example of it.

And what people tend to forgive somehow is that is all about playing, period.
You like 6.02? It gives you the mood and makes you enjoying playing? Go for it!!

There are guitars made in 60s and those made in 2010, which one will YOU play?
Doesn't matter as long as it works for YOU, end of story.
Newer doesn't have to be better, it might be better for someone but not for everyone,
we are talking about setup, different tastes, different playing etc etc.

And keep the positive vibe going. :D

Scott Peterson said:
In all the years I've been on the Internet and in all my conversations with other guitarists, I've never heard terms like 'ducky' tones.

Hey Scott! A 'Hi' from a TGP'er! :mrgreen:

Although I've owned the Axe for only a little over 3 weeks, I must say I'm blown away how close the Uber model sounds when compared to the real uber. Its actually better! I have 9.03 and I like my high-gain sounds bright! I have no complaints about its sounds.

That said, coming back to his problem, I've heard the 'ducky' sounds. I think he means when it makes a 'quack' sound, sort of like a wah pedal in the very high frequency registers when you just turn the pedal on. I've read in many a posts where people suggest going about creating a patch the way you would setup a rig in the real world...OD pedal into an amp, etc. While that works for many amps, for many it doesn't. I was doing the same. First block would always be a OD pedal, then an amp. And then I would get those "quacky sounds". My best guess is, there is a clipping happening somewhere.

To the OP...One of the pedals has too much gain or treble and you have to reduce it. Start re-creating your patch with all the defaults. Dont forget about setting the noise gate back to the default. Turn off the 'treble bright'.

I am actually glad bmi posted what he did. While I don't always agree with the tone of his posts (which may be a European/French culture issue, like Mr.PC mentioned, or a language translation thing), I didn't find anything offensive in him articulating his opinion.

I am glad he posted it because I found the tones I love with firmware 6.xx and have not tried to upgrade since 7.xx and even reverted back to 6.xx from 7.xx to get my tones back. Sometimes when mentioning this, I get members trying to tell me I should upgrade to 9.xx because it is so much better with less tweaking. However, since I love my tones, I find no reason to do so. I do want to get another Axe-Fx at some point to try all the great new tones without messing with my gigging rig, but I can't justify the expense right now. bmi's post validated my concerns and I am glad this thread exists with all of the helpful input.

Like the master said:

FractalAudio said:
The overwhelming majority of people prefer 9.03. If you don't, then use 6.02 or whatever makes YOU happy.

And I agree.

marvinx said:
I think its perfectly acceptable to be critical and flatly say you don't like something. And i do agree that at one point on this forum, or actually until the past year or so, a post with anything but praise what swallowed whole by flames.

I think however you are entitled to the flames however if you come up with something like "i dont like the default values which i know i can change to suit me, but... i just dont feel like it". Thats not critical, thats just whining and lazy.

If it were something like say... "Hey cliff , how about user assignable global defaults?", that actually makes sense. Thats actually HELPFULL. But otherwise, you've got to realize that cliff can't make you custom firmware. What you like for defaults may sound like crap for another , and bug them just as much.

Cliff has found the best compromise, by giving us TWEAKABLE parameters ( which i'd love to see even more of), and if you simply won't make use of them, then you have as others have stated, serious "entitlement" issues.
~mx~

IMO
The default parameters for each amp type should sound very much like the real-world amp being modelled.
Up until 9.0 this was, for the most part true, in my experience.
After 9.02 it is to a large degree, IMO, not true.
If that's whining then I'm guilty as charged.

But your idea for user definable Amp Type defaults is a good one.
I don't think we'll ever see it implemented mind you, but it's a good idea.

joegold said:
IMO
The default parameters for each amp type should sound very much like the real-world amp being modelled.
Up until 9.0 this was, for the most part true, in my experience.
After 9.02 it is to a large degree, IMO, not true.
If that's whining then I'm guilty as charged.

But your idea for user definable Amp Type defaults is a good one.
I don't think we'll ever see it implemented mind you, but it's a good idea.

IMO, after 9.02 they are much more like the real-world amp. This was verified both by measurement and listening tests. The poll results would indicate that the vast majority of users concur with this assessment.

FractalAudio said:
IMO, after 9.02 they are much more like the real-world amp. This was verified both by measurement and listening tests. The poll results would indicate that the vast majority of users concur with this assessment.

I completely agree. The very first thing I did was compare the uber model with my Rev Blue Uberschall and it sounds exactly the same. actually much better. the real uber has way too much bass and gives me a headache. with the axe's uber, I have the option of inserting a PEQ to get all the bass and sizzle I want or remove it when my head starts hurting. :lol:

I went back to 8.x myself, no problem. I like the tone of CAE 3+ LD in 8.x, it has more sustain and the pick "chirp" is more pronounced. Works great for shred. I'd love to know how to replicate this on 9.x, but barring that, 8.x is fine too. Cliff's first advice was correct - no one forces you to upgrade. If 6.x works for you, use 6.x.

What an amazing unit. In a world where people make fortunes taking the easy road and selling crap in a fancy wrapper, to have true artists tirelessly reach for ridiculously lofty goals, and allow customers into that process of discovery is humbling and deserves the utmost in respect. Beyond commerce, beyond anything, it's a piece of digital, organic, evolving art.

I personally look forward to firmware 25.3 that makes up for our shitty playing then affirms us with little holographic projections of people we want validation from, telling us we're awesome.

...I choose my dad, in user slot 1013.

for some reason i prefer the 6.XX firmware too
i liked the reverb better than now and the amp sounded very good at this time
i tried use my JTM45 sim to do this sound again with early firmware without success
http://rbul1.free.fr/JB.mp3
(you can hear the "old" reverb !)
maybe cliff is right i could reach this sound with newer firmware but didn't found the key.
as a fan of van halen, i also find the "brown" amp was better in older firmware.
so i think i will go back and stay in 6.XX :cool:
the only "bad" thing is that i lose some of the new feature (BB preamp, new amp, etc)

but that's an interesting thing : new firmware doesn't mean - better - firmware for everyone

BTW the hability to select/load firwmare that we like in great :cool:

BTW it would be interesting to create a poll to know if people follow the firmware that cliff bring or if lot of people "stays" in some "specific" firmware because they like their sound and don't want to touch anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom