Non tube-like sound

nellings6

Inspired
Hello there, I dont really know how to word this question right but I'll give it a shot. On my Ultra, I've had my tone for a while now and tried o replicate it on the II by tweaking the settings to as close as I could on the Ultra. The problem is with any tone I dial in, the input sound of the guitar is always faint and has a dim sound, mostly the higher strings. The output is set at 12o'clock and should be well loud enough. Even after going into the I/O and upping the Instr In percentage, there is still no tube like sound. So far even my Ultra seems to sound better, which I ind pretty strange. Any advice on how to make the sound sparkle a little bit more and have a warmer tone? Its just very faint all of the time and makes things like hammer ons almost impossible to hear.
Hope this makes sense

Last edited:
Im running the II into my M-Audio BX8a monitors by using the output 1 via cables into the back of them. I have the interface connected to my Mac via USB. In the I/O My InSTR IN is at 52.2% anything more than that would start clipping.

My Audio in I/O has:
Main Input Source - Anlog (In 1)
Input 1 Left Select - Front
Both inputs at Left Only
Output 1 at Stereo
0 dB boost
Normal Phase
Copy Out1 to Out 2 - Off
SPDIF
SB/DIGI Out Source - Output 1

Hmmm.... 52.2% seems a little low for INSTR in level..
Mine - and I have active electronics on my guitar - is around 73% to "tickle the red".
If you are getting clipping at that level, check that you have AMP SIMS turned on in GLOBAL settings....

Yes, I have mine almost all the way up for my lp and strat.But really that should not effect the tone that much just the SNR unless it is really low.

Try going to the global settings and increasing the amp gain. Also turn up the instr in until it tickles the red or if at 100% whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Yup, my sims are on. Even when I have it all the way maxed though, I get some clipping but also just the overall level of volume coming out should be a lot higher than it is. Maybe I need to turn my monitors up from the back and leave the output knob at half? Its just strange because on my Ultra, plugged into the same monitors, I have a ton more volume with maybe a quarter knob of output, and also gives me a loud real sound.

Cliff has stated that the volume taper on the output levels has changed in the 1.05 firmware.
I had to pretty much double (go from 9 am to 1pm) on II to get the same output levels as with earlier firmware.

NOTE - they are NOT the same levels as the Ultra !!!!

Interesting you guys say you have the input that high. INSTR IN is at 49.8 on my II and it's tickling the red with my PRS (EMG 81/85) and both of my EBMMs (CL/LF and D-Sonic/Custom Neck).

Cliff has stated that the volume taper on the output levels has changed in the 1.05 firmware.
I had to pretty much double (go from 9 am to 1pm) on II to get the same output levels as with earlier firmware.

NOTE - they are NOT the same levels as the Ultra !!!!

Ahh okay, this makes more sense now then. I went back into the I/O and boosted the Instr up more and finally got some things situated. One thing that also helped a lot was lowering the Threshold in the automatic chain gate.

Interesting you guys say you have the input that high. INSTR IN is at 49.8 on my II and it's tickling the red with my PRS (EMG 81/85) and both of my EBMMs (CL/LF and D-Sonic/Custom Neck).

Well with the EMGs being active pups, you wont need as much of the percentage since they're so hot already.

Input level is totally pickup based.. the EMG's are known to be "hot" pups, whereas others are not. Many Fender's can't tickle the red even at 100% !

Input level is totally pickup based.. the EMG's are known to be "hot" pups, whereas others are not. Many Fender's can't tickle the red even at 100% !

My PRS with passive SH-4 Duncan is tickling the reds at 48,2%!!! Why are the differenzes in our AxeII units???

Bullstein,
It could be your pickup to string spacing is very small... I have a guess that the output of a magnetic pickut (HB more so) are non-linear with distance...

My guitars (SC or HB) are all fairly far from the strings (even playing at the 15th).. run my input on the II at 75+ and barely can get red (ES339 and JS1200 are the hottest)...

Bullstein,
It could be your pickup to string spacing is very small... I have a guess that the output of a magnetic pickut (HB more so) are non-linear with distance...

My guitars (SC or HB) are all fairly far from the strings (even playing at the 15th).. run my input on the II at 75+ and barely can get red (ES339 and JS1200 are the hottest)...

Thanks 1wheel, I'll check my pu to string spacing later!

FWIW - there's nothing wrong with having the input level set to 48.2%, 75% or 98% !!!
You set it to get the best S/N ratio from your guitar into the Axe.
Pickup type, output levels and distance from strings will all factor in to what that ending value will be.

So no need, to adjust pickup height because you have a 48% INSTR In level.

FWIW - there's nothing wrong with having the input level set to 48.2%, 75% or 98% !!!
You set it to get the best S/N ratio from your guitar into the Axe.
Pickup type, output levels and distance from strings will all factor in to what that ending value will be.

So no need, to adjust pickup height because you have a 48% INSTR In level.

So for a gig ( a live performance) would you set the input level against the hottest (highest output) guitar you would be using?

Back
Top Bottom