Non FRFR rig - V10 Help!!!

Hey all- Downloaded the new V10, system reset etc and most of my patches are way to flubby. I am running Matrix GT1000 into a Diezel 212 with V30s. Before the update everything sounded really good after I backed off on the lows and highs on the global EQ. Now, no matter how much I back off on bass, depth, thunk, EQ, etc. I cant get most of them to tighten up. Even if I roll back to V9 on the global and take off Mimic on the preset. Everyone seems to be raving about V10 and I am wondering why it isn't working for me. Maybe most have an FRFR set up?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. I'm a relative noob when it comes to the technicalities of the Axe but Ive had an Axe Ultra for years and no the Axe II since it first came out. I usually can just tweek things a bit and get a good tone but now, no dice. Very frustrating because I used to love the Axe and now I can't stand it.

Hey kalt,

I'm running a similar setup to you, except I have a GT800 and an Avatar 2x12 with V30s. I also had issues with my previous v9 presets. So, I started some new ones from scratch, and... WOW. Made all the difference in the world.

Have you tried creating new presets yet? Also, which amp sims are you using, and/or type of tones are you going for? That might help us provide some specific amp tweaking suggestions.

Last night I created a Mark IIC+ preset that I feel NAILS Petrucci's Scenes From A Memory rhythm tone. Best part of it was... I just looked up what his amp settings were, including pics of the knobs and EQ sliders on his Mark IIC+, and BAM... the tone was almost SPOT ON. Did a few more minor tweaks, and I was in tonal bliss. :mrgreen

"Reinitialize the amp block " What does that mean and how is it done?
Thanks

Just select a different amp type, then go back to the one you had. It will set a bunch of parameters to default settings for the block as per V10, which now includes the master volume. You'll have to tweak it from there, but it's a much better starting point in a preset carried over from FW9.

Just select a different amp type, then go back to the one you had. It will set a bunch of parameters to default settings for the block as per V10, which now includes the master volume. You'll have to tweak it from there, but it's a much better starting point in a preset carried over from FW9.

Is that the most efficient way? Also, I may just be sleep deprived, but last night at the studio I swear I was doing that but the new amp block was defaulting with most "Pre" values set to noon, and most other values set to similar settings across all amp types.

Maybe I'm wrong. I've been having moments where I experience sonic bliss, and moments of frustration where nothing dials the same way anymore and I'm experiencing the shrillness and brittleness that others have talked about. Haven't quite figured out what's causing the difference yet. But I'm extremely optimistic about v10 - I can tell the goods are in there! I just have to figure it out!... and maybe relearn how I used to dial my old tube amps before the axe fx changed my life a few years ago... ;)

Hey kalt,

I'm running a similar setup to you, except I have a GT800 and an Avatar 2x12 with V30s. I also had issues with my previous v9 presets. So, I started some new ones from scratch, and... WOW. Made all the difference in the world.

Have you tried creating new presets yet? Also, which amp sims are you using, and/or type of tones are you going for? That might help us provide some specific amp tweaking suggestions.

Last night I created a Mark IIC+ preset that I feel NAILS Petrucci's Scenes From A Memory rhythm tone. Best part of it was... I just looked up what his amp settings were, including pics of the knobs and EQ sliders on his Mark IIC+, and BAM... the tone was almost SPOT ON. Did a few more minor tweaks, and I was in tonal bliss. :mrgreen

Post the preset! Having all kinds of trouble with the mesa models, which were always my go-to! (not to mention the real life tube amps I used to play back in the day.)

"Resetting" by switching amp defaults the advanced pages and EQ in the amp block, not the Pre and Power pages, except the master volume is now changed with v10. So any Bass Mid Treb settings will stay the same as you choose different amps.

Holding the Bypass button for a second completely resets the Amp block (only the X or Y you are looking at) so Bass Mid Treb will go back to 12 o clock etc.

*WARNING* The above reply is completely off-topic. Proceed with caution.

Reactions: J.C
Thank you

"Resetting" by switching amp defaults the advanced pages and EQ in the amp block, not the Pre and Power pages, except the master volume is now changed with v10. So any Bass Mid Treb settings will stay the same as you choose different amps.

Holding the Bypass button for a second completely resets the Amp block (only the X or Y you are looking at) so Bass Mid Treb will go back to 12 o clock etc.

For me it was easier to just start fram scratch and listen to every amp and finding new favorites.
Think i filled an entire page of potential candidates.
The sound in V10 is more raw then v9 they also respond better to eq and tweaking in my opinion.

Here's my preset, as promised. Please remember this was dialed in using a non-FRFR setup; a Matrix GT800FX into a Avatar Vintage OS 2x12 cab w/V30s. I did include a CAB block at the end of the chain for the FRFR folks, and set it to a stock IR that I thought came the closest to my cab, but it still isn't super close. I used my EBMM JPXI to create this tone, so you may need to increase/decrease Drive or Input Trim to suit your pickups. Instead of using specific settings for each EQ slider in the PEQ block, I "ear-balled" each one, using isolated riffs from Overture 1928. Thru my my rig, it sounds DAMN close. YMMV. I hope some of the settings in this preset will help others dial in their Mark IIC+ if they're having trouble.

Attachments

• TH Mark IIC+ SFAM.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 20
Incredibly anxious to give this a whirl. Overture 1928 has got some great tones - I'll be using my Petrucci BFR and running it through a matrix gt1000fx, so pretty similar set up (I'll rely on your approximation in the cab block). Anyway, many thanks! Hopefully this helps, as I just got back from another fruitless session of a few hours at the studio. Never had this hard a time dialling out the flub, and it's starting to get pretty demoralizing to not be able to figure out what's wrong.

Anyway, thanks! I'll check it out and report back!

Actually, very helpful. Thank you.
How are the new videos coming?

Incredibly anxious to give this a whirl. Overture 1928 has got some great tones - I'll be using my Petrucci BFR and running it through a matrix gt1000fx, so pretty similar set up (I'll rely on your approximation in the cab block). Anyway, many thanks! Hopefully this helps, as I just got back from another fruitless session of a few hours at the studio. Never had this hard a time dialling out the flub, and it's starting to get pretty demoralizing to not be able to figure out what's wrong.

Anyway, thanks! I'll check it out and report back!

Thanks, please let me know how it sounds thru your rig. Are you using a real guitar cab, or FRFR? If it's a real cab, please be sure to either hook your Matrix up to Output 2, or if you're using Output 1, turn off the Cab Sims in the Global Settings, otherwise the cab block will jack up the tone.

Robboman, thanks
Garyrogue

Thanks, please let me know how it sounds thru your rig. Are you using a real guitar cab, or FRFR? If it's a real cab, please be sure to either hook your Matrix up to Output 2, or if you're using Output 1, turn off the Cab Sims in the Global Settings, otherwise the cab block will jack up the tone.

I'll be running the Matrix into my old atomic reactor wedges. Hoping to get to the studio in a few hours to try this, but when I'm not working family duty calls (as you know).

Chris - which EQ in the amp blocks should reset? The GEQ at the output? I've been switching the amps to try to reset parameters and I think the advanced tab params are resetting, but none of the EQ params.

Chris - which EQ in the amp blocks should reset? The GEQ at the output? I've been switching the amps to try to reset parameters and I think the advanced tab params are resetting, but none of the EQ params.

The graphic in the amp block should reset to flat when you select a different amp, but only since v10. Otherwise you can press Enter and the graphic will reset manually.

Here's my preset, as promised. Please remember this was dialed in using a non-FRFR setup; a Matrix GT800FX into a Avatar Vintage OS 2x12 cab w/V30s. I did include a CAB block at the end of the chain for the FRFR folks, and set it to a stock IR that I thought came the closest to my cab, but it still isn't super close. I used my EBMM JPXI to create this tone, so you may need to increase/decrease Drive or Input Trim to suit your pickups. Instead of using specific settings for each EQ slider in the PEQ block, I "ear-balled" each one, using isolated riffs from Overture 1928. Thru my my rig, it sounds DAMN close. YMMV. I hope some of the settings in this preset will help others dial in their Mark IIC+ if they're having trouble.

Just tried this into my Matrix GT1000 and Zillla 2x12 (V30/G12h mix). REALLY great tone. Its got less mids around the 800hz than most of my patches and more top and bottom end - mine are thicker with less hair around the top - but still VERY nice. Ive saved it as a reference :)

If I can figure out how to save patches to my PC in V10 - Ill upload a couple of mine, a CAE and a Fryette patch. Similar gain levels but different EQs - both have less of that top end hair so may be of use.

Last edited:
Try these.

If you need more gain, just hit the X/Y as they have a lower and a higher gain state, with the lower gain being on the Y selection (which it should go to default).

Any feedback on those patches is welcome, as always. Constantly striving for better/more.

Attachments

• CAE.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
  • FRYETTE GAIN.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just tried this into my Matrix GT1000 and Zillla 2x12 (V30/G12h mix). REALLY great tone. Its got less mids around the 800hz than most of my patches and more top and bottom end - mine are thicker with less hair around the top - but still VERY nice. Ive saved it as a reference :)

If I can figure out how to save patches to my PC in V10 - Ill upload a couple of mine, a CAE and a Fryette patch. Similar gain levels but different EQs - both have less of that top end hair so may be of use.

Thanks Paul! I agree... the tone is a little light on the mids and a bit too bright for my tastes. In fact, before I dialed this in to match Petrucci's SFAM tone, I had created my own Mark IIC+ preset, and when I compare the two mine is less bright with more mids, but very close in every other way. I've always really dug Petrucci's rhythm playing and tones, so this didn't surprise me too much. :mrgreen

Thanks for posting your presets, gonna give 'em a go tonight!

Back
Top Bottom