Non FRFR rig - V10 Help!!!

Thomas - I also found the tone to be great. I tweaked it a little to my liking, which really did not take much.

I found it interesting the cab choice - I don't know that I had ever tried that 2x12. I had always used the 4x12 v30 (including when I used to actually play through my old mesa amps). Strangely, swapping in that cab made the sound incredibly boomy, even though some boom did not seem justified based on all the other amp settings. Putting in some lo-cut in the cab block at about 120 seemed to leave the core of the tone in tact while getting rid of the boom.

In any case, I'm starting to believe more and more that my real issue truly is the cab... experimenting with some new amps, new cabs and new combinations which will likely cross brand lines and maybe even the lines of conventional wisdom.

Anyway, thanks again, great tone! I'm saving it for sure. Paulmapp8306, thanks for also uploading yours. I'll give those a go as well as soon as I get a chance.

Thomas - I also found the tone to be great. I tweaked it a little to my liking, which really did not take much.

I found it interesting the cab choice - I don't know that I had ever tried that 2x12. I had always used the 4x12 v30 (including when I used to actually play through my old mesa amps). Strangely, swapping in that cab made the sound incredibly boomy, even though some boom did not seem justified based on all the other amp settings. Putting in some lo-cut in the cab block at about 120 seemed to leave the core of the tone in tact while getting rid of the boom.

In any case, I'm starting to believe more and more that my real issue truly is the cab... experimenting with some new amps, new cabs and new combinations which will likely cross brand lines and maybe even the lines of conventional wisdom.

Anyway, thanks again, great tone! I'm saving it for sure. Paulmapp8306, thanks for also uploading yours. I'll give those a go as well as soon as I get a chance.

Cool, glad you liked it!

The CAB block IR I chose was the 4x12 30W (Ultra). Did it not show up that way in the preset?

Also... if I read and understand correctly, you're using Atomic Reactor wedges for your FRFR. That may be the problem right there... I've not had first hand experience with them, but I understand from others that they can be somewhat "woof-y". Also, those Reactors were designed back when modeling wasn't as good as it is now, so they were purposely designed to make up for shortcomings in the modeling (READ: not exactly FLAT).

Now that the modeling has gotten so much better, especially with V10, those Reactors probably aren't the best FRFR solution these days. You may want to look into the Atomic CLR, the XiTone Wedge, or one of the Matrix offerings (Q12 or CFR12).

Do you happen to have a real guitar cab with V30s in it? If so, hook it up to your GT1000FX and see what you think of the tone. Be sure to use Output 2, or turn off Cab Sims in the Global Settings. That would be a quick way to know for sure if it's your FRFR monitoring solution that's causing you the problems.

That's a really good call, and a culprit I was considering... I have been using the Matrix GT1000FX and running the wedges passive. I had thought that some of the not-so-flat comments on the older Atomic Reactor series was more a function of the amp, although in hindsight it would make most sense that neither were perfectly flat. I'm on the list for the CLR and have been considering biting the bullet on the Q12. The part I'm having a hard time swallowing is what I then do with my Reactor wedges. Having paid full price for a stereo pair, it's a good chunk of change to transform into paper weights.

And now that you mention it, I believe it was the 4x12 30W. Although I think when I discovered the cab was making the biggest difference in the trouble I was having, I dialled in some success with a 2x12 I had never really liked before. Anyway, once I hone in on a personalized version I'll reupload the patch and see what you think.

Back
Top Bottom