Noisy (Very!) Output 1 Front Panel Knob

vaultnaemsae

Inspired
I just got my hands on a used Ultra here in Korea. They're kinda rare (here) so I grabbed it regardless of a small problem and am very happy with the unit's abilities.
From the get-go the 'Output 1 Front Panel Knob' has been noisy as hell when adjusted.
Manual says no parts are user servicable (don't they all!) so I'm a bit scared to go digging inside.
Searching here it has been said that units can be a bit noisy but this doesn't seem right for such a high grade piece of equipment.
Any forum members got any ideas for a quick self fix or would it be a service centre job?

What do you mean noisy? like scratchy? When I got my Ultra I was pissed because the input one made a registrable noise on its channel. Turns out that is by design. Some kind of unbuffered input or something.

could very well be it's just some dust/dirt. (did the previous owner smoke?)
turn the knob repeatedly all the way up and all the way down, the noise should diminish and disappear after a while.

Yeah, it's a horrid staticy scratchy sound. Previous owner had it in a basement studio where he chain smoked. I'll try suggested method :)

I have had the same problem but on the input 1 knob, so I sent an emil to tech support in europe this is the reply I got.

Hi Carl,

the noise when you are using the Input 1 knob is normal.

Cliff Chase wanted the best circuit tonewise for the front input, there's his "special sauce" with an analog circuit for the best possible tonal results. There is this noise when you are adjusting the Input-level that is true. He could made that noise go away with a different circuit, but it would not sound so good, so - as being the tone-perfectionist he is - he decided to live with this little noise because normally you would not adjust the knobs on the front panel while playing, you adjust it only once for the best results and then you can leave these knobs in their position.

All units do this.

Best,

Jochen
G66-support

I hope this is helpful.

Carl

Last edited:
I was going to suggest spraying some pot cleaner in there.
But they are behind the entire front panel circuit board, looks like a tough job to get at them :(

Ok. Expanding on the noise issue a little.

Now it's worse than before.

Tried said tweak method. No success.

I was talking to a local guitar/amp technician and he told me that the reason why the noise exists is because axe-fx doesn't use a regular pot but a 'bias' (does that mean unbuffered something or other) for a better signal...whatever that means. Is this BS?

I'm finding it very temperamental. Sometimes even if the out's set at 12o'clock there's no signal, then if I gently flick it the output signal reappears! And if I turn Mr. Output 1 it sounds bad. And my inputs controls don't respond that way.

Is it just me or is it service time?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.570384,126.989472

Anybody know of somewhere I can get my Ultra serviced in South Korea? The output 1 knob is royally f#%ed..and it's not a generic part...

I'm finding it very temperamental. Sometimes even if the out's set at 12o'clock there's no signal, then if I gently flick it the output signal reappears! And if I turn Mr. Output 1 it sounds bad. And my inputs controls don't respond that way.

Is it just me or is it service time?
It's definitely not behaving as it should. Try emailing Fractal support, and see what they suggest.

Back
Top Bottom