Noisy switches on new crop of advanced foot controllers?

Sebastian said:
@ Ossandust

Hi Xavier, nice to have you here :)

I read on a german forum you are / Gordius is working on a new controller, besides the LG products.
Any news on that?
My next big investment will probably be a new footcontroller, with either "Fractal Audio" or "Gordius" on it ;)
Greets,

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,
every now and then there's a Gordius user drawing my attention to this forum. Didn't participate actively since the swap from setbb forum to the own hosted forum.

New Gordius controller? That's news for me... ;)
Here's the actual situation for the Gordius project :
- started as a real hobby project (hardware extension of the FCB UnO firmware hobby project)
- turned into something that took every minute of my free time for quite some time, from the moment I announced an actual product till I had something "in the field" which covered the broad range of needs of the (very) small but (very) diverse Gordius user base. Only recently, I came to the point that I believe the product covers everything it could possibly cover.
- now is the time to start documenting what's inside that box, the current cripple online documentation is no good for that. I believe only actual users have a clue about what's inside.
- only after that I will start thinking about next generation of products. Lots of new things on my list, these mainly come from discussions with other musicians, and these discussions probably cause the kind of rumors you are referring to. But I will take everything at my own pace, which will be more relaxed than the past 2 years.
- One thing for sure: I will not announce anything before I know an actual shipping date of real products. I can tell you already there will be nothing new for the next 6 to 9 months - except for smaller firmware extensions of the current products.

I just joined the forum a few hours ago, and immediately I feel like hijacking this forum for non-fractal discussions. Sorry, really not my intention, just answering a concrete question. Feel free to join the Gordius Yahoo forum for further discussions, Sebastian.

Greetz,
Xavier

Well, threads get hijacked all the time, but this is the foot controller forum :lol: :p

I can split it off to a new thread if you wish.

ossandust said:
New Gordius controller? That's news for me... ;)
Here's the actual situation for the Gordius project :
- started as a real hobby project (hardware extension of the FCB UnO firmware hobby project)
[...]
- only after that I will start thinking about next generation of products. Lots of new things on my list, these mainly come from discussions with other musicians, and these discussions probably cause the kind of rumors you are referring to. But I will take everything at my own pace, which will be more relaxed than the past 2 years.
- One thing for sure: I will not announce anything before I know an actual shipping date of real products. I can tell you already there will be nothing new for the next 6 to 9 months - except for smaller firmware extensions of the current products.

Hi again,

thanks for the answer and sorry for misleading you to hijack the thread :D
but I think it's ok as this thread is not focused on FAS but on "new crop of adv. foot controllers" and Gordius is among them for sure; I also remember reading that the switches used in the LG products are noiseless, which is what the OP is asking for.
Regarding new Gordius products, you're right, it was a musician who told about a email conversation he had with you about several things and he mentioned you'd think about future developments, steering away from the FCB1010 as nobody knows how long it will be produced by Behringer.
Thanks for sharing info on that and I'll ask further questions at the yahoo board; - good chances I already signed up months ago.
Best regards,

Sebastian

javajunkie said:
Well, threads get hijacked all the time, but this is the foot controller forum :lol: :p

I can split it off to a new thread if you wish.

No, I think Xavier is right, for further Gordius discussion, there's a yahoo board just for that reason :)

Speaking of the FCB1010: its switches make no noise whatsoever. In my situation playing in a low-volume church setting this is crucial. At times just tapping my foot on the floor is too much noise. My previous Vetta's FBV switches were very loud and disturbing already...

Sebastian said:
I also remember reading that the switches used in the LG products are noiseless, which is what the OP is asking for.
Yes, to get on topic again :
I'm glad to hear most users are satisfied with the "silence" of the LG switches - at least that was the reason for me to choose for that type, after evaluating the Carling switches. But on the other hand, I personally don't dare to call those LG metal switches noiseless, when people ask me. It's a fact that they are very responsive, I mostly use the unit as a desktop controller and this way I can indeed use the switches completely noiseless. But for taptempo "foot stomping", you tend to hit harder in order to have accurate timing, and then you definitely hear the clicks. I agree with what others here suggested: having a separate "external" switch for taptempo. I think the plastic type switches, which have a small contact switch underneath, are the only ones which can safely be called noiseless.

By the way, talking about noisy switches, I once attended a gig here in Belgium (double bass player looping) where the looper clicks were really disturbing in the quite concert hall. You can even hear it on the same guy's CD (great bass player by the way, but that's getting OT again ;) ) http://www.chrismentens.be/ -> discography -> drivin' -> Bass Intro

Back
Top Bottom