Noise while plugged into some outlets but not others. Compact Solutions?

Sounds like that light (or the switch) is the main suspect. I would work around that before making purchases.
That being said, Furman has the solutions you need - for a price. Furman SS-6 powerstrip is what I carry to help mitigate some of this. Kinda like Level 1 filtering.

If you can't work around the light/switch issue you may want to have an electrician check your circuits. I've had similar but varied issues in homes.
Ex.1: Horrible buzz in half the circuits = Air conditioner component (resistor) was failing and allowing noise into the mains. Resolved by repairing the Air conditioner.
Ex.2: Anything digital would reboot for no reason = Room was an addition and substandard aluminum wiring was causing voltage dips. Resolved by running extension cords into the original structure.

Google
'XLR ground filter'
The stage and the console are apparently using different grounding points. The XLR filters can help a lot. I usually end up using a combo: XLR filter+AC ground lift at the stage. Usually minimizes, or eliminates the hum.
Rex and Nor make excellent points. If the hum goes away when the guitar is unplugged (or guitar volume lowered), it's not an AC problem--that noise is coming through the pickups. And most ground-loop hum can be eliminated with transformers and ground lifts.

I've found there ARE rare occasions when neither of these is the explanation, however. Where there's a constant hum/buzz, unrelated to the instrument connected, which isn't eliminated by a transformer and ground lift. I've encountered this only a few times ever, and I've never solved it in those cases, so... ;-)

I have this issue at home. It isn't the light, the computer, the monitor or anything plugged in, but I get bad EMI on humbuckers and single coils.. I've boiled it down to my house having shitty wiring and there's nothing I can do to fix that besides getting a pro, audiophile-level, AC filter or buying a new house.

Shielding your guitars and pickups sometimes works, but... Sometimes not. the housing market needs to label houses as musician friendly/not-friendly IMHO.

I have this issue at home. It isn't the light, the computer, the monitor or anything plugged in, but I get bad EMI on humbuckers and single coils.. I've boiled it down to my house having shitty wiring and there's nothing I can do to fix that besides getting a pro, audiophile-level, AC filter or buying a new house.

Shielding your guitars and pickups sometimes works, but... Sometimes not. the housing market needs to label houses as musician friendly/not-friendly IMHO.
EMI isn't typically from your house wiring... There's something generating the noise - you just haven't found it ;)

There have been a few "noise" threads here with tips on hunting it down. The source may even be from a neighboring house or something else outside your house.

EMI isn't typically from your house wiring... There's something generating the noise - you just haven't found it ;)

There have been a few "noise" threads here with tips on hunting it down. The source may even be from a neighboring house or something else outside your house.
Probably the train track not far from me, but that used to go away completely when I faced east.. Now it is just constant. :(

Just an update...as some speculated, the Furman AC215 (and presumably bigger Furmans with the same tech) did not solve the issue.

Unscrew the bulb, but keep the light switch on. If the noise goes away, you've found the problem.
It's definitely the lights and/or the fixture it's in. The fixture is pretty old if I remember right. There are 5 lights in there are the noisiest ones are marked CF13EL spiral shaped ones.

I was hoping to find a universal solution because we can't always control the environment we are in. Practices spaces & live venues being prime examples.

It's definitely the lights and/or the fixture it's in. The fixture is pretty old if I remember right. There are 5 lights in there are the noisiest ones are marked CF13EL spiral shaped ones.
Bingo. Those are cold cathode fluorescent bulbs. They're notorious for causing trouble.

I was hoping to find a universal solution because we can't always control the environment we are in. Practices spaces & live venues being prime examples.
As long as you're playing an electric guitar, you will be susceptible to fluorescent bulbs. Stay as far away from them as possible. Humbuckers are your best bet here. Active pickups are even less susceptible.

Other than that, all you can do is make sure your guitar is well shielded (control cavities, cavity covers, and pickup cavities. Depending on the guitar, you may have to run ground wires to the pickup cavity shielding, and solder them to the guitar's main ground point (usually a volume pot).

The higher-end Furmans do a great job, and resolve most anything. But no one spends 5k to do $150 gigs, lol.
You will find the AC215 a big help on the more buzzy stages. And you will be the least buzzy cat on that stage.

The higher-end Furmans do a great job, and resolve most anything. But no one spends 5k to do $150 gigs, lol.
You will find the AC215 a big help on the more buzzy stages. And you will be the least buzzy cat on that stage.
Least Buzzy Cat, love it hahaha

I have A similar problem when I switch to overdrive or compressor at certain venues! The hi frequency noise is almost unbearable. It
occurs at one venue with a small stage and when we have to run through generator power. I always use a good Furman conditioner, and I have even brought along my $$$ Furman voltage regulator to try and remedy the problem with no luck. Yes I can gate it out but it takes away from the sound I like. I will try balanced output cables and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom