Noise Gate

Agreed, but this thread suggests noise gate improvements would not address the "noise behind play'd notes" issue - my point is that I think noise gate improvements would address this issue as discussed in the other thread (though as you've pointed out, maybe not perfectly). Maybe it's just a matter of how such proposed improvements would be packaged - in the gate, in an EQ option...wherever (imo the a new gate option makes the most sense since the issue at hand is related to noise reduction).
Perhaps my point is largely semantic, but those aren't truly "noise gate" improvements, right? A traditional noise gate is either open or closed, and when it's open, it lets everything through.

Per the man himself:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/weird-high-frequency-hiss.161463/post-1934363

"Guitars make noise. Amplifiers amplify that noise. A noise gate will remove that noise WHEN YOU ARE NOT PLAYING." (Caps are Cliff's)

Last edited:
In theory, noise that's exactly predictable can be cancelled or maybe filtered out, but I doubt that's a real world situation.

If it varies over time, what principles would you think a gate/filter/denoiser would use to distinguish noise from music? "Sounds I don't like" doesn't seem reasonable.
If things were always easily understandable, there won’t be a leader in each domain .
I don’t know what he does to do that, but the result is mad. I am ultra sensitive ear wise, and I feel it in a second when your tone is sucked after 30 years of daily playing . For the rest I won’t count points . Some guys may be happy some others not. They are 10 guys in the other tread or in the net that confirm what I feel so …

Perhaps my point is largely semantic, but those aren't truly "noise gate" improvements, right? A traditional noise gate is either open or closed, and when it's open, it lets everything through.

Per the man himself:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/weird-high-frequency-hiss.161463/post-1934363

"Guitars make noise. Amplifiers amplify that noise. A noise gate will remove that noise WHEN YOU ARE NOT PLAYING." (Caps are Cliff's)
Yes in the 80’s and 90’s it was like that . And since, some guys came with an improvement in this domain and now can buy themselves a nice car.

Former ISP Decimator Prorack G and current FM3 user here.

It seems to me that one crucial point is missing from the discussion that is especially important regarding the noise gate trouble video by the user My name is mud in the other thread and that is low-pass filtering. From the description of the Prorack G:
"The Decimator ProRackG has dual processing channels incorporating both low-level downward expansion and dynamically controlled low-pass filtering..."
So afaikt what is happening is that the low-pass filters (probably one in each stage) of the Decimator have cutoff frequencies that are dynamically adapted to the signal going into the analysis stage of the Decimator, which is the pure guitar signal.

I don't know if the "intelligent' mode of the Fractal Noise gate has something similar going on.

Yes in the 80’s and 90’s it was like that . And since, some guys came with an improvement in this domain and now can buy themselves a nice car.
I guess this is kind of my point - ISP doesn't call the Decimator a Gate. Waves doesn't call X-Hum a Gate. Ozone doesn't call RX De-Hum a Gate. I think we are using imprecise language to express the primary concern at hand, which is noise you can hear while playing.

Maybe:

1) The definition of a "gate" has evolved since the 90s to include functionality beyond opening/closing, which Mud suggests above, and grumpy old-timers like myself should just get with the times, or
2) There is value to using "gates" for things that open and close, and use something like "noise reduction" or whatever for things that attempt to remove buzz from the guitar tone.

Former ISP Decimator Prorack G and current FM3 user here.

It seems to me that one crucial point is missing from the discussion that is especially important regarding the noise gate trouble video by the user My name is mud in the other thread and that is low-pass filtering. From the description of the Prorack G:
"The Decimator ProRackG has dual processing channels incorporating both low-level downward expansion and dynamically controlled low-pass filtering..."
So afaikt what is happening is that the low-pass filters (probably one in each stage) of the Decimator have cutoff frequencies that are dynamically adapted to the signal going into the analysis stage of the Decimator, which is the pure guitar signal.

I don't know if the "intelligent' mode of the Fractal Noise gate has something similar going on.
The Intelligent mode in the Input Block Noise gate does dynamic lowpass filtering AND dynamic line noise filtering. For the latter to work properly you MUST set the Line Frequency to match the frequency in your country (i.e., 60 Hz for USA, 50 Hz for EU, etc.).

Last edited:
The Intelligent mode in the Input Block Noise gate does dynamic lowpass filtering AND dynamic line noise filtering. For the latter to work properly you MUST set the Line Frequency to match the frequency in your country (i.e., 60 Hz for USA, 50 Hz for EU, etc.).
Yes i use it but it creates strange artefacts

Last edited by a moderator:
@FractalAudio here it is. (preset in attached link )
I'm in 50hz as I'm in europe

intelligent input gate doesnt filter the noise while playing, when it is set to have no noise between notes or chords.
when I pump up the 2 first settings of the gate, weird tones are coming . Video Is private as ever when it concerns troubles, I dont want to do bad commercials about the axe.
This guitar is an usa strat with di marzio humbuckers in small format, this guitar is one of the less noisy I own . And it is also copper taped

Attachments

• intelligent input gate test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
I would have been very surprised if there hadn't been any dynamic filtering going on.There is a reason I don't have the Decimator anymore, I'm perfectly happy with the FM3 :)

@FractalAudio here it is. (preset in attached link )
I'm in 50hz as I'm in europe

intelligent input gate doesnt filter the noise while playing, when it is set to have no noise between notes or chords.
when I pump up the 2 first settings of the gate, weird tones are coming . Video Is private as ever when it concerns troubles, I dont want to do bad commercials about the axe.
This guitar is an usa strat with di marzio humbuckers in small format, this guitar is one of the less noisy I own . And it is also copper taped

I don't have time to look into this now but it sounds like your ratio is set too high. Play around with the threshold and ratio and see if that helps. I'll take a look at the gate at some point but I have too many more pressing things right now.

I don't have time to look into this now but it sounds like your ratio is set too high. Play around with the threshold and ratio and see if that helps. I'll take a look at the gate at some point but I have too many more pressing things right now.
Thank you very much . At first in the video, my ratio and threshold are not set high at all but the noise is running with these settings. I think I have tried them all. Or I have noise running, or I have synth artifacts coming. If you can do an input gate as efficient as the one of the kemper with one knob, I'll cook you the best pasta you've ever eaten ahahahah . Joking but yes, thanks for your time .

Last edited:
I'd like to start a petition that when/if the noise gate issue eventually sorted out, @My name is mud has to post a cover of My Name is Mud. I can help on some instruments , if need be.

His hill to die on was the Rectos (much appreciated), now it's the noise gate. And mine is making him cover that song.

I ve done it 9 years ago, probably I play it better now 😁

oooooou yeaaaaaaah, we can wait, but promise this will be no later than in fw 21.12 🙈😂

Back
Top Bottom