Bug? Noise after idle Axe.

endgroove

Inspired
After my Axe 2 has been idle for around an hour I get this lovely noise:

Axe: 3.0.4
MFC: 1.04
No guitar connected
Guitar cord IS connected
Mission Pedal on expression input 2 (heel down)
Shiver lead patch
USB is NOT connected.

Patch attached.
View attachment Shiver Lead.syx

The sound starts out relatively low, and gets progressively louder.
I can reproduce this every single time, by just leaving the Axe idle for around 2 hours.
Noise disappears instantly if I change a patch (front panel or MFC) or touch the Mission pedal.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound good.

It reminds me of when you have 2 or more audio devices talking via digital I/O and they lose sample rate sync.

Definitely seems like time to contact Fractal support.

Wait.. guitar cable is connected to the Axe input but is unconnected at the guitar side? Does it go away with the cable disconnected? Or with a guitar plugged in at the other end?

Perhaps it's a poorly shielded cable acting like an antenna?

Wait.. guitar cable is connected to the Axe input but is unconnected at the guitar side? Does it go away with the cable disconnected? Or with a guitar plugged in at the other end?

Yeah, that's what I thought at first too, but the noise will not stop if the cable is properly grounded (i.e. plugged in). It will also completely stop if as - I said above - I change the program on the Axe, or move the expression pedal, which in my mind means that it has nothing to do with the cable. I only mentioned it to give a complete picture of how my rig was being used at the time that the noise occurred.

This will happen any time I leave the Axe Idle. If someone would confirm that this occurs on their machine it would be much appreciated. The program I used is attached above. I'm going to try a different variations on this theme tomorrow to see if I can get it to do it under different circumstances.

It reminds me of when you have 2 or more audio devices talking via digital I/O and they lose sample rate sync.

I can do that on purpose with my rig, and a mismatch of sample rate sync actually sounds nothing like that. Moreover, there's nothing for my Axe to lose sync with since it will make the noise independently of any other device.

Anybody want to let their Axe be idle for 2 hours?

I just did it again and recorded it from the point that I left the rig alone, and it was two hours from the point I left the Axe idle to when the noise started which is consistent with the last 4 times it occurred.

Patch I used, and description of circumstances in the OP.

I agree with you. I mention the cable as a possible source of a ground hum that may get introduced to the A/D conversion. The sync noise was just to point out the digital artifacts.

My thinking was that sounded like a ground loop that is getting the digital noise transposed up by octaves, like a feedback loop in a sense.

Sorry, but obviously I'm not being a great deal of help.

Anybody want to let their Axe be idle for 2 hours?

I just did it again and recorded it from the point that I left the rig alone, and it was two hours from the point I left the Axe idle to when the noise started which is consistent with the last 4 times it occurred.

Patch I used, and description of circumstances in the OP.

Yes, I leave it idol for several hours (or more) all the time. I'm not experiencing what you are at this time. I haven't tried it with the preset.

I'm going to guess it is something in the patch. Try this , when it starts making the noise start bypassing the effects one at a time. I would start with delay and reverb. Try and find which effect is doing it (if it is an effect). What does your expression pedal control in that patch?

I'll load the patch and see what happens today.

I'm not near my gear so I can't try the OP preset out right now, but when I left my Standard on for extended period on a patch with compressor active, it will start to thump and make noise after a while. It only seems to happen on clean patches and that happens to be where I use compressors. Not sure if this is related at all but just thought I'd throw it out there. It hasn't happened yet with the II but possibly because I've trained myself to not leave it on a patch with compressor active.

Yes, I leave it idol for several hours (or more) all the time. I'm not experiencing what you are at this time. I haven't tried it with the preset.

I'm going to guess it is something in the patch. Try this , when it starts making the noise start bypassing the effects one at a time. I would start with delay and reverb. Try and find which effect is doing it (if it is an effect). What does your expression pedal control in that patch?

I'll load the patch and see what happens today.
With Sean on this one... Since last Friday (Dec 16) my Axe has been on for TWO 48-hr stretches!! I was up late and forgot to turn it off - both times.

I'm thinking this issue is preset related and not an Axe bug.
Does it only happen with that preset or with others as well?
If only the one posted then....?

While it is probably preset related, it is still a bug. I'm guessing the noise gate is on and it's a subnormal number thing causing a buildup in error. I would also guess that if you were playing during that period it probably wouldn't happen.

This sounds kinda cool... I'm sure Ben Burt would put it in a Star Wars film as some underlying background ambience in a ship.

Cliff, yes my guess is that if I were playing it wouldn't start. However, playing in and of itself will not resolve it once it starts.

Although as I said, touching the Mission or changing patches resolves it instantly.

I actually upgraded my axe last night and fell asleep in the process... the axe remained for 4 hours turned on... thankfully my room was freezing so no problems with that.... didnt get that noise... that would of woke me up... and it was connected to audio.

Cool. It's a relief that the bug appears to be inherent within the patch, and not a global thing.

If anybody wants to download the patch in the original post, load her up, and let it stand idle for a couple of hours, it would be much appreciated to get your feedback.

Cliff is there a noise-gate in the factory Shiver-lead patch? I didn't add a noise gate to the patch. Thanks.

The noise gate is at the input to the patch and is on unless you turned it off. Go to Layout-Input/Gte to see the settings; you turn it off by setting the threshold to the minimum value.

Back
Top Bottom