NO SOUND WITH USB CONNECTION

rouxdoc

I have seen this problem discussed in other places but the answers are inconsistent. I am trying to use my axII via usb to a new I Mac (OS X Lion 10.7.3). THere is no sound at all. I am able to tune the guitar with the ax edit so there is a signal getting to the computer. I would like to edit the patches and monitor them real time like in Scott's video. I downloaded the mac driver and have searched the forum. Even on u-tube others are connected this way. Sorry if this is simple but I could use the help.

Mac
presonus firestudio mobile with studio one recording package
Mackie powered monitors
ax II 3.02 ( need to upgrade but was trying to get this going first.)

Thanks

AxeEdit uses sysex data streaming from the AxeFXII for the tuner so there is no audio involved in making that work.

So there is no audio data coming over the usb? I need to connect the ax to the presonus audio interface? The usb connection is only for updates and back up. I understood it was midi over usb. THe manual shows a simple usb connection for recording as well. Am I missing something?

Thanks but I have done that. No change. I can get sound through the axe and reference monitors in garage band but not in axe edit.

Axe edit isn't to make sound. it works through GarageBand because that audio program is processing the data coming over USB. When I do that though, there is latency and I can't play well.

I would suggest either plugging your axe analog outputs into your presonus to minimize cable rerouting, or plug your speakers into the axe outputs, select the axe as your interface in GarageBand or whatever program and listen to your computer playback through the axe as well.

For what it's worth, I've preferred the recordings I've done using analog outs of the axe vs its USB.

As said above Axe Edit is not for sound. Someone said a few weeks ago that an update will be made to remove the audio meters from the GUI.

So whats the recommended way to listen to the changes made to patches on the fly.

Do I need to usb out of the axe to the computer then also use the line level outputs on the axe to the presonus audio interface.

Im looking for the easiest way since I travel with the rig twice a week.

I thought that everyting was carried over the usb to the computer then it could be monitored without other connections.

thanks

Audio can be sent to the computer and monitored with no other connections. What application are you trying to send it to? You have to send it to an app that can process digital audio and convert it to something that your ears can hear. Do you have a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)? Pro Tools, Garage Band, Logic, etc...

Depending on which app you chose and the specs of your computer you may or may not be able to live the latency.

So whats the recommended way to listen to the changes made to patches on the fly.

Do I need to usb out of the axe to the computer then also use the line level outputs on the axe to the presonus audio interface.

Im looking for the easiest way since I travel with the rig twice a week.

I thought that everyting was carried over the usb to the computer then it could be monitored without other connections.

thanks

Do it to your computer speakers FIRST. Make sure it's selected as the input device, and use your computer speakers. If you don't get sound, then reinstall the driver. If you do get sound, pull out the manual to your interface to figure out what it's missing.

The mac was pretty much plug and play for me... Something is missing.

Ron

I can get audio through the nearfields in garage band. When I open axe edit I have no sound. The midi output is firewire to the presonus and that has been working fine. The input is set to the axeII.
My goals are

1 monitor real time changes to patches
2 record directly to studio artist ( similar to pro tools)
Preforably all over usb.
Thanks again

I can get audio through the nearfields in garage band. When I open axe edit I have no sound. The midi output is firewire to the presonus and that has been working fine. The input is set to the axeII.
My goals are

1 monitor real time changes to patches
2 record directly to studio artist ( similar to pro tools)
Preforably all over usb.
Thanks again

@rouxdo c- I think you are missing the point here...

#1 - the Fractal USB drivers support both Audio AND MIDI data.
#2 - AxeEdit does NOT support (or stream) Audio, only MIDI. It's basically a [software based] MIDI controller.
#3 - You can monitor changes in presets (real time changed in AxeEdit) in ONE of the following basic ways (there's probably more):
  • - create an aggregate device in your Mac. In your DAW assign input as Axe-FX II USB and output as the Presonus.
  • - plug headphones into the Axe Headphone jack
  • - Connect OUT1 of the Axe to your Mackie monitors
Hope this helps...

Does anyone know if the presonus studio one DAW suppports usb midi insterments. I get it to work with the outputs plugged into the audio inerface but not over USB. The latancy is horrible plugged int the AI.

Does anyone know if the presonus studio one DAW suppports usb midi insterments. I get it to work with the outputs plugged into the audio inerface but not over USB. The latancy is horrible plugged int the AI.

Did you select the Axe Fx as your audio interface in Studio One?

I'm using StudioOne and it works great on a PC. Even if I don't use zero latency monitoring it's extremely low. Only time it becomes an issue is when I re-amp and at that point it's just a matter of using delay compensation on the wet destination track. And thats a product of the entire signal chain coming into play and every DAW will run into that issue.

Back
Top Bottom