No Sound In Sonar Platinum

Lee2216

Inspired
I just received my Axe 2 XL today. Man this thing sounds awesome! I have output 1 L & R hooked up to my powered Mackie monitors. Sounds great! My Itunes works fine and I can play Youtube audio fine as well. I'm currently working on a solo piece in Sonar Platinum and my guitar tracks were done using Bias Amp and I used Addictive Drums for the drums. Sonar recognizes the Axe so there is no problem there. I have all my ins and outs from each track set to the Axe but I'm not getting any sound. I've read the manual about the usb capabilities and I've turned quite a few knobs in the I/O menu on the Axe but to no avail I can't get any sound in Sonar. I know some guys on here use Sonar so hopefully they could help.

Regards,
Lee

when you go to select your inputs on your track you have the options of AxeFX left and right or something like that... I go directly into my apogee converters myself so I don't use usb.....so you have the AxeFX selected as your audio source?

Yeah I have the Axe selected as my audio source in Sonar. I can hear the Axe fine when I play but my problem is I'm not getting any signal in Sonar nor am I able to play the tracks I've already recorded. My goal is to be able to have the option to record the Axe or record using Bias Amp. I understand I have to use the dry signal in the Axe to use Bias Amp but I'm at a loss as how to switch to a dry signal. I'll have to do some more research. Hopefully I can find more info in the forums here.

I use Sonar Platinum and typically use my Mackie Onyz 1220i as the audio interface. So I would plug my Axe-FX audio outputs into the Mackie and everything was great.
Then I decided to record directly from my Axe-FX to Sonar via USB and had to change the sampling rate from 44100 to 48000 Hz
Then I found i got no sound from the tracks I previously recorded through the Mackie.
Is that the same problem you've got?

Yeah Tony that's the same problem I'm having. Before I got my Axe I was using an Audiobox 22 VSL to record but I've been having terrible latency issues. I'm only able to run 512 with the Audiobox which gives me a 11.6 msec which you would think wouldn't be that bad but it is. So, I decided to plug my Axe audio outputs into the Audiobox but I'm still having latency issues. I want to use the Axe as my interface so I'm currently hooked up via USB. Did switching the sampling rate from 44.1 to 48 solve your issue?

Hi Lee
If I remember correctly, just switching the sampling rate did not solve the problem. I think I ended up creating a new blank project (after setting the audio driver to the Axe-FX and making sure to set it to 48000 Hz and 24 bit depth) and then imported the old audio track files into the new project tracks. When they're imported they get converted to the new audio format automatically.
This is a bit of a pain especially if you got a lot of projects with a lot of tracks. I guess you lose all the automation as well.
I'll take a look at it again to refresh my menory and see if there's an easier way.

I looked in the online manual for Sonar and apparently I have to export/import each track into a new project set to 48000 Hz as you suggested. Good thing I've only got one project with only 12 tracks since I've gotten Sonar Platinum so this shouldn't be that big of a problem. Glad to know this info only one project in. I want to finish this project using Bias Amp. Would you happen to know where and how to switch to input 2 or 3 within the Axe so I can use the dry signal? Or is this something I would set in Sonar? Thanks for the info Tony.

I looked in the online manual for Sonar and apparently I have to export/import each track into a new project set to 48000 Hz as you suggested. Good thing I've only got one project with only 12 tracks since I've gotten Sonar Platinum so this shouldn't be that big of a problem. Glad to know this info only one project in. I want to finish this project using Bias Amp. Would you happen to know where and how to switch to input 2 or 3 within the Axe so I can use the dry signal? Or is this something I would set in Sonar? Thanks for the info Tony.

Here's an easier way! Today I was actually working on a Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 Bundle from 15 years ago from an old band I was in. It was recorded in 44.1K 16bit. I opened it in SONAR Platinum and then used the Voxengo r8brain app to convert all the files in the project's Audio folder to 48K 24bit by using the Batch button. Make sure SONAR is closed when you convert all the files.

See the link below for more info:
Is there a way to convert sample rates in Sonar X2 or X3 Projects?

@GotMetalBoy - thanks for that info. It looks like it's not free so if I've got a lot of projects to convert that looks like the best way to go.

@Lee2216 - Here's a link to info in the Axe-FX Wiki which also has a link to a youtube video about reamping:

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reamping

Voxengo r8brain is free. It says it's free in the upper left of the page. I just downloaded and installed it and tested it out again and it worked for free with no popups or warnings that it's a demo or that it will expire. It only works for Windows OS.

Here's the link: http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

Thanks GotMetalBoy. I ended up on a page for r8brain PRO and that's not free. I used your link and downloaded the free "standard" version and run a batch conversion. I'll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom