Is there a way to convert sample rates in Sonar X2 or X3 Projects?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I recently bought a new Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB sound card and can finally successfully reamp using SPDIF, so I wanted to try and reamp some of my older recording projects but they are all in 44.1K 16bit, so they won't work with the Axe-Fx II. I read through the Sonar manuals but couldn't find a way to convert projects to different sample rates. I found something online but it said you have to convert all the files using a 3rd party app, then start a new project and then import all the converted files. The problem with this is that I'll lose all the automation, FX, settings... etc.

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this? I figured I'd start a thread hear and not cakewalk's forum bc people hear have probably run into this situation with their Axe-Fx II when reamping.

I'm planning to write a tutorial on how to reamp with SPDIF and also wanted to include how to resolve issues with pre-recorded projects that aren't in the correct sample rate.

*** FOUND THE ANSWER ***
Thanks to Brundlefly from the Cakewalk Forum:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2934357
http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

Quote from Brundlefly:
Unfortunately the SONAR-only procedure has some big shortcomings: It doesn't address bringing the audio back into the original project with the new sample rate, preserving all the non-destructive processing and other project content and settings. And SONAR renames the files on export in a way that can make that difficult to re-import everything manually. Plus it forces you to bounce down multi-clip and multi-lane tracks to single-clip tracks.

This is where a 3rd-party sample-conversion application like the free Voxengo R8Brain comes in handy. R8Brain has a batch mode that will create re-sampled copies of all the audio files in place with the original names and add a prefix/suffix to the original files (or delete them if you so choose). Then when you re-open the original project (or a copy of it) with those re-sampled files in the audio folder, SONAR will automatically set the project rate to match the audio it finds, and you're done.

Though it does involve using a 3rd-party conversion app, it's by far the fastest and least complicated way of converting a project's sample rate and/or bit depth without altering the project otherwise.

Last edited:
I too have encountered this issue... I'm currently in Sonar X3. What about directly converting the file in the project folder and see what happens. Make a backup of course before you attempt anything.

I too have encountered this issue... I'm currently in Sonar X3. What about directly converting the file in the project folder and see what happens. Make a backup of course before you attempt anything.

I was thinking the same thing and was going to try converting the files with Sony Sound Forge but then the hot water pipe under my kitchen sink broke and just my luck, the water leaked below into the basement and right into my electrical box! I had to spend my weekend cleaning up water and replacing pipe fittings bc the contractor that remodeled my kitchen used the wrong pipe fittings! Hopefully I'll have time this week to test this but if anyone out there has an answer please share.

I found the answer & updated my original post :)

Thanks to Brundlefly from the Cakewalk Forum:
Is there a way to convert sample rates in Sonar X2 or X3 Projects? | Cakewalk Forums
Sample rate converter tool software - Voxengo r8brain - Voxengo

Quote from Brundlefly:
Unfortunately the SONAR-only procedure has some big shortcomings: It doesn't address bringing the audio back into the original project with the new sample rate, preserving all the non-destructive processing and other project content and settings. And SONAR renames the files on export in a way that can make that difficult to re-import everything manually. Plus it forces you to bounce down multi-clip and multi-lane tracks to single-clip tracks.

This is where a 3rd-party sample-conversion application like the free Voxengo R8Brain comes in handy. R8Brain has a batch mode that will create re-sampled copies of all the audio files in place with the original names and add a prefix/suffix to the original files (or delete them if you so choose). Then when you re-open the original project (or a copy of it) with those re-sampled files in the audio folder, SONAR will automatically set the project rate to match the audio it finds, and you're done.

Though it does involve using a 3rd-party conversion app, it's by far the fastest and least complicated way of converting a project's sample rate and/or bit depth without altering the project otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom