No More pick and string noise being picked up by iPhone mic

Mark Day

FAS Artist-in-Residence
Fractal Audio Systems
I picked up this Tascam iXJ2 iOS Audio Interface for my iPhone 6. I can now do quick demos including editing and titles. With the iXJ2 I can run my Axe-Fx direct into my iPhone without the internal mic picking up string and pick noise and in stereo!

I boosted the audio level too much in the iMovie app, creating some clipping, so I decided I should fix that. I brought the levels back down in iMovie.
Here is the second edit take of the video I posted earlier.

Last edited:
Tempting... it would make video editing so much easier then recording to protools or garageband and then matching the video and audio in iMovie. But I'd be slightly concerned with ANY audio degradation from the A/D converters in that little box. Since the whole point is tonal demos, sound really matters.

...Maybe you could take some time to make a guitar demo first with the Tascam iXJ2 and then the same demo recording direct into your mac. I'd like to hear if there is any audio difference.

Tempting... it would make video editing so much easier then recording to protools or garageband and then matching the video and audio in iMovie. But I'd be slightly concerned with ANY audio degradation from the A/D converters in that little box. Since the whole point is tonal demos, sound really matters.

...Maybe you could take some time to make a guitar demo first with the Tascam iXJ2 and then the same demo recording direct into your mac. I'd like to hear if there is any audio difference.

There would absolutely be a difference in sound quality I would think. The point is to be able to do quick videos and not rely on the iPhone's mic. It's a pet peeve of mine to hear the picking sounds over the intended source in a guitar demo.
This is a easy to use solution. Sometimes I just want to do something quick and not have to wait until I get home.

I wonder if they have something similar for android. I could see this being useful for someone wanting to demo something like new

I see they have iRig now for android. I wonder if using the output plugged into the XLR of the iRig would allow you to use the iRig as the mic and still use the video to do stuff with android? I'll have to check into this!

Gonna get one tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

I dislike video editing. No, make that: I hate video editing.
This will help make it easier and faster.

I'm pretty psyched. I just bought one of these from Musician's Friend for $19.00. The other ads had this device for sale at $80.00!

Back
Top Bottom