NL12 Neolight ( 17lb ) are in stock ready for shipping

See, now this is an interesting offering. I wonder how that would sound with a Magnum44 little amplifier. That would make for a very portable solution, easy to handle and take anywhere.

but I wonder what "extended range" to quote M@ means as opposed to FRFR. How will my acoustic patches sound through that? And how does that add up when the specs say -20KHz?

I've played through two of these cabs in a stereo config...

very surprising..
they sound bigger than 1x12 cabs..
they are not FRFR [so cab sims are off]
extended range means that they produce more low end and more high top than a conventional cab
at first you'll think they are very very bright.. but this is part of the extended range thing..
it's actually a good thing.. you can't add what is not there, but you can remove what is there via EQ..
this means more tonal choice..
so these cabs can bring out things that even some of the FRFR cabs cannot..
when you dial your presets into them you can get some superb tones...

lifting them takes some getting used to... cos they weigh next to nothing..
it's like lifting an empty box when you think there's something in it..

although they are small, they are surprisingly loud... very clear..

and.... I popped a 7-string through them down tuned a whole step [7th string = low A]
and they cope.. no sweat...

Reactions: LVC
These are beautiful cleans -- are the cab sims off?

Also do you need to make any adjustments to the amp? I heard some folks say that they change the something -- I think the Resonance setting in the amps to match the cab?

If so is there a suggested setting?

This video sold me -- beautiful cleans!

yes, they are not FRFR

Also do you need to make any adjustments to the amp? I heard some folks say that they change the something -- I think the Resonance setting in the amps to match the cab?

just EQ to taste..

Is the Gt1000 too much of a beast for these cabs? Or will it handle the power of the GT1000 at gig volumes (R&B band - small pubs)

This quote (taken for the product page)
Admin M@ wrote on the Fractal Audio forum

“Just my own personal opinion here…, take this opinion at face value but I thought those new Matrix speakers were awesome, especially given what one person called the high ‘weight-to-performance’ ratio. They are not FRFR, but more like extended range guitar cabs. I thought Tom Quayle sounded great when we dialed in his presets with cab sims ON through these. Ditto Derryl Gabel....”

that's a question for Matrix...
I can't recall what amp they were being driven by [cos there was a rack full of them]

This quote (taken for the product page)
Admin M@ wrote on the Fractal Audio forum

“Just my own personal opinion here…, take this opinion at face value but I thought those new Matrix speakers were awesome, especially given what one person called the high ‘weight-to-performance’ ratio. They are not FRFR, but more like extended range guitar cabs. I thought Tom Quayle sounded great when we dialed in his presets with cab sims ON through these. Ditto Derryl Gabel....”

ahh I see....
when I tried them I had the cab sims off..
if they sound great with the sims on too then cool.. just do whatever sounds best...
there are no hard and fast rules... just do what you think works best..
I run my VG-99 through my Marshall 4x12's with the cab sims on cos it sounds smoother to me..
but with the Axe, I have the cab sims off cos the tone loses focus..

with these cabs, my presets sounded better with the sims off..
but this is my presets.. someone else's may behave differently..

the main thing here though is that these lil' cabs are very surprising..
and a pair of them in stereo sounded absolutely fabulous..

Sounds great clarky.
I don't want to use cab sims, save CPU power.

I'll buy either these or port city OS 2x12 with g12m-65 or scumbacks m75
Haven't really decided, go oldschool or newschool =)

if it's the 2x12 you're after...
the Matrix is absolutely incredible

I've played through a pair of these [stereo - one each side] and was absolutely blown away...
you have to keep looking over your shoulder to remind yourself that they are 2x12 and not 4x12..
cos they sound huge...

I thought both 1x12 and 2x12 was going to be released <today>
I miss a cab, don't know if I can't wait any longer

Hello sir :)

That's me playing in the video. I can confirm that cab sims were definitely off when this was recorded. Didn't need to make any adjustments to the amp, and in fact, I usually use that clean preset direct to the PA most of the time, so all I did was switch off cab sims and it sounded great! These are great sounding cabs.

Thanks for the compliments on the tone as well :)

Last edited:
How far away is the release of the 2x12, soon or really soon =) ?

Hi there.
If you are already on the 1x12 and 2x12 mailing list you will be receiving the information before anyone else on the release date for the 2x12.

My best regards
Matt

Back
Top Bottom