Nickelback on the III

Fully agreed. Chad can write a catchy song and I dig a few of those songs, love the production on their albums and faulting anyone for being that successful is generally an eye roll-inducing thing for me. I drop this video when I see them getting bashed in the metal circles because I think it’s a great neutralizer-

That is a great vid that I thought Devin was super honest even saying he thought Nickelback was crap and only wrote radio hits for $$$$ , it was cool to see his opinion after sitting down with him then

A long time ago, before or after Leader of Men came out (I think) somewhere in that time frame - it was in December of 2000 - we opened for Nickelback in Flint, MI supporting them and Dust for Life. We got in trouble for eating their shrimp. But - I mean - it was OUT and there was no sign that said "hey, this is Nickelback's shrimp so if you're a peon band - don't eat it!" hahah...I'm pretty sure I remember Chad being especially vocal about it. We didn't intentionally say "we don't want them to have shrimp".

Years later at Pine Knob in Detroit - the other guitar player through a glass of beer in my direction (we were about 10 rows back from the stage) - which I caught and DIDN'T spill right before it hit my wife in the head and got a little "nice catch" acknowledgement from him. I still wonder though - was this attempted payback for the shrimp incident of 2000? One will never know.

So, if anyone from Nickelback is out here - Kevorkian (the band) formerly apologizes for eating your shrimp, and thanks for the beer. :)

Also, huge fan of them, their sound, and their live show!

A long time ago, before or after Leader of Men came out (I think) somewhere in that time frame - it was in December of 2000 - we opened for Nickelback in Flint, MI supporting them and Dust for Life. We got in trouble for eating their shrimp. But - I mean - it was OUT and there was no sign that said "hey, this is Nickelback's shrimp so if you're a peon band - don't eat it!" hahah...I'm pretty sure I remember Chad being especially vocal about it. We didn't intentionally say "we don't want them to have shrimp".

Years later at Pine Knob in Detroit - the other guitar player through a glass of beer in my direction (we were about 10 rows back from the stage) - which I caught and DIDN'T spill right before it hit my wife in the head and got a little "nice catch" acknowledgement from him. I still wonder though - was this attempted payback for the shrimp incident of 2000? One will never know.

So, if anyone from Nickelback is out here - Kevorkian (the band) formerly apologizes for eating your shrimp, and thanks for the beer. :)

Also, huge fan of them, their sound, and their live show!

Kevorkian? 😂

it’s easy to hate someone when their famous… but as usual it’s the non famous that spread the hate! I respect who was good enough to arrive! Whether I like it or not! People are just full of envy! A bath of humility would help!
Rockin always!!

Meanwhile 90% of this forum plays in cover bands, which many of use see as where creativity and originality go to die 🤷‍♂️😅
You can be creative in a cover band, as long as you set the expectation that you’re not going to sound like the CD (or Spotify these days?) We often totally change songs and play them however we feel like. Usually chilling a heavier song, or getting heavy with a normally chill song. Having said that, there are certain songs one dare not mess with!

If we’ve granted Nickelback absolution, then is there hope for Creed? :)
I suppose Creed suffered from the same overexposure backlash that Nickelback did. I wasn't into them in the '90's, but I've been learning some Creed songs this past week and I was surprised at how interesting some of them are.

If you look at Mark Tremonti's studio videos, there's no Fractal gear in sight :).

Unfortunately, Nickleback (a very good hard rock band) is suffering a similar situation that Winger dealt with in the late 80s. Beavis and Butthead had Stewart wear the Winger shirt and the "sheeple" fell in line. Reb Beach is a beast. Rod Morgenstein on Drums??? Kip is a great songwriter as well. Sad that people are so easy to manipulate. You can dislike both these bands but to say they suck just shows your own insecurities IMO.

Their songs may be formulaic, the riffs pseudo-metal, but I don't think anyone here would turn down their song catalog. Chad has figured out the formula and has written hit after hit after hit. I'm not a huge fan, but I appreciate the craft, the writing and the production.

I suppose Creed suffered from the same overexposure backlash that Nickelback did. I wasn't into them in the '90's, but I've been learning some Creed songs this past week and I was surprised at how interesting some of them are.

If you look at Mark Tremonti's studio videos, there's no Fractal gear in sight :).
I love Tremonti’s early Recto tone
To me that is the classic recto crunch
The tone he gets in higher

Reactions: JTI
Yeah, it’s like when people get in Blabbermouth comment sections and say things like “Why does Corey Taylor have to comment on everything?”

Uh….he gets interviewed and Blabbermouth chooses a portion of the interview to make it a headline. Corey Taylor isn‘t texting Blabbermouth saying “Hey! I have an opinion on this, please post it for me!” but people for some reason don’t understand that.

Yeah, no. Corey Taylor just can't stop himself from running his mouth. He has political opinions from breakfast onward and a track record of firing skilled workers from tours for not being sycophants for his garbage takes. Fuck that guy. Mick is cool though.

I think the hate they get is unjust and more of a "hey everyone hates them so i guess i better also". i never got that, whatever someone likes or dislikes should never have an influence and it never has on me. Ive been a fan of there's since The State.

Funny story a few years ago at work Photograph comes on and one of the Techs mockingly goes "Rich likes Nickelback" so i was like yes i do why is that funny, He had no viable argument so he walked away.

And yes they put on a hell of a live show
There's no valid reason for hate. It all started years ago with a comedian joking about the excessive airplay of their first radio hit. The "hate" went viral from there. I always ask my friends who believe this for a good reason and I've never heard the same story twice. Just all made up shit.

Back
Top Bottom