NGPD - Parts is parts....

20221218_185958.jpg

Mostly done. Roughed in the setup to make it playable. Needs a strap, or a set of straploks so I can re-use my old '90s strap. Needs a Rutters '3/8 over' control plate. Reused the old Fender one from the red Tele that got replaced with a Rutters one last year-ish to get it rolling.

Plays and sounds nice already. Will be amazing when the last little adjustments are done and it gets its first set of Stringjoys....

Is that a Warmoth neck by chance with a compensated nut?

Is that a Warmoth neck by chance with a compensated nut?
Yes. SS frets, too. Nice modern C shape, very comfortable. :)

Interesting headstock... What tuners are those?
Ye olde 'snakehead' Tele headstock - the original prototype used this shape. I put the Steinberger 40:1 tuners that I had previously put on my red Tele, but which bumped the headstock hanger hook when the guitar was in the hanger, throwing the fat E out of tune every time. No issues with that on the snakehead.

That's what she said.
:D

Found a place online that does custom waterslide decals. Sent them my design. The white inside the outlines is supposed to be metallic silver in the decal, but I have no idea how I'd make that color happen in Gimp.... :D
Screen%20Shot%202022-12-19%20at%2012.11.50%20AM-cropped-outlined.png

Will see what their quote is for an 8"x13" sheet full of them. :)

Found a place online that does custom waterslide decals. Sent them my design. The white inside the outlines is supposed to be metallic silver in the decal, but I have no idea how I'd make that color happen in Gimp.... :D
Screen%20Shot%202022-12-19%20at%2012.11.50%20AM-cropped-outlined.png

Will see what their quote is for an 8"x13" sheet full of them. :)
Just make a pdf of your idea and print it on decal paper it will cost less than $5 and that's probably what they will do anyway. You will end up with 20+on a sheet then cut one out and clear coat it lightly before you apply it.

Yours is pretty, too. Which Split-Rails are those? I have the HO one in my VZ Tele, paired with a Lawrence L202TN.

Gotta love thinlines. My first 'keeper' Tele is a Gecko Thinline....
They're Fralin Split Rail with the 9.5" radius. That's a decent cheap Chinese body with a WD neck.

Last edited:
Just make a pdf of your idea and print it on decal paper it will cost less than $5 and that's probably what they will do anyway. You will end up with 20+on a sheet then cut one out and clear coat it lightly before you apply it.
I don't own a printer. Haven't since the awful Canon inkjet I ditched in the late '90s. The place I requested a quote from uses "Thermal Resin ALPS" for theirs. Would love to have got Guitar Fetish to do them, since they use a print shop which does the old 'lithography' method, " with the right inks and the right glue", but they don't do custom designs.

Had a quick go at this with Photoshop......is this what you had in mind? Could have another go if not! lol
View attachment 112900
Thanks!

I chopped up a copy of the decal design used as an etching mask for this, in Gimp:
20220915_222042.jpg

I don't own a printer. Haven't since the awful Canon inkjet I ditched in the late '90s. The place I requested a quote from uses "Thermal Resin ALPS" for theirs. Would love to have got Guitar Fetish to do them, since they use a print shop which does the old 'lithography' method, " with the right inks and the right glue", but they don't do custom designs.

Thanks!

I chopped up a copy of the decal design used as an etching mask for this, in Gimp:
20220915_222042.jpg
You would need a decent laser printer and no metallic colours to do what I suggested.

Here we go......View attachment 112926

Just fyi....I had to separate the circle from the lightning bolt in order to center it between the tuners.

It would be much easier to get centered if the base of the lightning bolt was symmetrical.

I was planning to rotate it slightly to get the ball centered with the lightning bolt going up the middle on a bit of an angle. :)

The ball and lightning bolt is one wing of a pair. On the scoop, it was intentionally left with the number skewed, because racecar. Mirroring that here.

20221219_140143.jpg

It'll figure itself out once I have an actual decal to play with....

Last edited:
Spent the majority of the evening plunking around with Rory. Raised the action just a smidgen on several strings to nix a couple bits of buzz that cropped up here and there, then reduced the relief a bit, readjusted intonation, and it's incredibly nice to play now. String action is great. Sound is amazing.

Sorta half considering the possibility of a vintage-output Fralin Split Rail bridge and Lawrence L202TN pair to eliminate hum, but will sit on this current Dawgtown 5/2 config through the re-string with Stringjoys after the guitar is fully settled in and I've had time to ponder it. The Dawgtown 5/2 pickups sound amazing, but they are true singles, so there's hum. They are quiet enough to let my noise gate close, though - if I roll away from the mouse a bit and turn to face it, rather than the Spacestation. I guess mouse noise enters from the side of the coils easier than from the tops....

Looks great, nice when it all works as you expect and the acoustic tone is good because that's the one thing you can never be 100% with until it is finished.

Back
Top Bottom