NGD: Gibson 2013 Les Paul Standard Plus Translucent Amber

Thomas-Hawk

Power User
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my giddy-ness. :lol

Was just delivered today, so the only pics I have so far are the ones from Sweetwater. It's REALLY cold in KC today, so I'm still letting it warm up to room temp in its case, but I did pluck around a bit on it (just couldn't help myself), and the neck and setup felt great!

128730613-front-large.jpg

128730613-body-large.jpg

OMG guys... I think I have found "THE ONE". I pulled the strings off that it came with, conditioned the fret board with F-ONE Oil (that stuff is great!), put a fresh set of 10s on it, checked neck relief, and pickup height, both of which were spot-on, set the intonation, which was actually way off, got the nut and bridge saddles good and lubed up with Nut Sauce, and... WOW. This thing is amazing. Nice, low action, no fret buzz, and the tones I'm getting from this thing are what I've always dreamed of. I have never played, or much less owned a guitar like this before. I have two LP Studios, and they are no where close to being on the same level as this thing. I also own two EBMM guitars (a JPXI and an Albert Lee HH), and while they are good, they are not THIS good. The only negative so far is that the volume pots are a bit stiff. From what I've gathered from a Google search, this seems to be a common thing, and the pots should start to loosen up with use.

I know this may all come off as hyperbole, exaggeration, etc. But I really feel like I've finally found the guitar that is the perfect match for me. Boy, it sure is a great feeling.

OMG guys... I think I have found "THE ONE". I pulled the strings off that it came with, conditioned the fret board with F-ONE Oil (that stuff is great!), put a fresh set of 10s on it, checked neck relief, and pickup height, both of which were spot-on, set the intonation, which was actually way off, got the nut and bridge saddles good and lubed up with Nut Sauce, and... WOW. This thing is amazing. Nice, low action, no fret buzz, and the tones I'm getting from this thing are what I've always dreamed of. I have never played, or much less owned a guitar like this before. I have two LP Studios, and they are no where close to being on the same level as this thing. I also own two EBMM guitars (a JPXI and an Albert Lee HH), and while they are good, they are not THIS good. The only negative so far is that the volume pots are a bit stiff. From what I've gathered from a Google search, this seems to be a common thing, and the pots should start to loosen up with use.

I know this may all come off as hyperbole, exaggeration, etc. But I really feel like I've finally found the guitar that is the perfect match for me. Boy, it sure is a great feeling.

Very nice!! FYI, I used this stuff from Stew-Mac on all my guitars pots, including my 2002 LP Std. It works really well to clean scratchy pots, but lubes them up nicely. Careful on how much you use, because I found that over spraying can make the pot too fast.

STEWMAC.COM : DeoxIT Pot & Switch Cleaner

Congrats on your new fiddle... I tried to find a Paul for the longest time and could never find one that would play for me. The first PRS SC I picked up did it and never looked for a paul again. As soon as I can I will try again looking for Paul still want one they just always seen to be hit and miss.

Funny you say that, as I had the same issue with a number of PRS git-fiddles I tried. None felt right to me.

I've heard and read all about the Gibson quality issues lately, but they're either exaggerated, or I just got a really good one! :mrgreen

OMG guys... I think I have found "THE ONE". .....
........I know this may all come off as hyperbole, exaggeration, etc. But I really feel like I've finally found the guitar that is the perfect match for me. Boy, it sure is a great feeling.

Congrats man. I got my 1st Les Paul a couple months back, musta tried at least a hundred out over the last 25 years and never really found one that fit or played well enough to justify the price. However, I traded an 2007 Ibanez Prestige RG2550 for a 2002 Les Paul Standard Desert Burst. I was surprised when I tried it out, it had hardly been played and was the one. Anyways, just saying, I know that feeling you are talking about, it's an awesome thing. :)

Congrats on the beauty. I have a similar story - I hadn't really played LPs before - always stuck to Strats and other guitars with the Fender-scale necks. But upon trying an LP, I found that the classic rock tone was just there. I think it's the combination of the mahogany body/maple top with the fixed bridge. Even unplugged, it's acoustically loud. But whatever it is, the tone is just so strong and immediate, I've really been digging it. I also have an EBMM - a JP6 - and I love that also, but there's definitely a difference in the tone - the LP just has that solid tone covered. As far as the fit and finish, the neck is great - it's a 60's style, so it's a little thinner and it plays great for me. The only cosmetic issue is that the neck binding isn't 100% perfect as it should be on an LP, but it's a very minor issue. Enjoy!

I know this may all come off as hyperbole, exaggeration, etc. But I really feel like I've finally found the guitar that is the perfect match for me. Boy, it sure is a great feeling.[/QUOTE]

My wife used to listen to me when i made such statements, now she just laughs!

I know exactly what you mean when a guitar just fits. "Home", is the best word I can come up with to describe that knowing/ feeling. I have a early 70's strat body (finish stripped/ bare Alder) with a 78 neck that has to be the ugliest guitar ever but... it's home. It plays and sounds phenomenally and so that's when I decided (for myself) that aesthetics are a minor detail to me... but there is always time to stop and smell the roses to check out a killer looking guitar. You have a nice home there Thomas and would love to come over for dinner some time. :eagerness: :razz At times I miss my Les Paul. :(

Back
Top Bottom