NGD! - EVH

I have rosin core 60/40 22 gauge i'll use for most of my work here. I have 2 ground wires that I'm thinking to just place on the big common ground point here on the pot. Im thinking just tin the wires and reheat up the solder on the pot ...should be fine yes?EVH pot.jpg

Well i think I got it...ran into a snag with the white wire on middle lug as the original wire was wrapped around quite thick. I snipped it off. but could not for the life of me remove part of the wire and finally managed an opening after desoldering as much as i could there and putting in the white wire (pickup) and white (tesi). Not my cleanest work but it'll do. I hate small things with big fingers and even my needle nose pliers were to beefy. but a prelim test just now and it seems to be all working...EVH wired up.jpg

Well i think I got it...ran into a snag with the white wire on middle lug as the original wire was wrapped around quite thick. I snipped it off. but could not for the life of me remove part of the wire and finally managed an opening after desoldering as much as i could there and putting in the white wire (pickup) and white (tesi). Not my cleanest work but it'll do. I hate small things with big fingers and even my needle nose pliers were to beefy. but a prelim test just now and it seems to be all working...View attachment 144926
You are wiring up the neck pickup also, right? I’m interested to know what you think of the sound when you are done.

You are wiring up the neck pickup also, right? I’m interested to know what you think of the sound when you are done.
Actually I left the neck pickup for now. perhaps I'll do that down the road though. This was ambitious enough for me to tackle today ha.

final touches. Screwed in a velcro strap to hold the battery. Installed switch plate cover for back cavity. I really appreciate the tips/support on this journey of my DIY /NGD. I so nearly pussed out on placing in lower horn but I knew I'd always regret not doing it...I'll have to properly test out now of course and see how it all works/sounds. Hopefully all connections are solid. There's something so satisfying about switching that toggle for the light. Small things that make us happy.

Attachments

• evh final2.jpg
    evh final2.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 31
  • evh final1.jpg
    evh final1.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 30
  • evh final.jpg
    evh final.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 30
I went back to fiddling with the D-tuna today. to my understanding the USA Wolfgangs have the tension plate finger/leg (whatever its called) under the LOW E removed. I read that online anyhow. I took needle nose plier and bent the low one to relieve some tension when the Dtuna is engaged. I did a minor adjustment and I am getting better results. Less tuning shifting when engaging/disengaging the cork. Also worked in some 3 in 1 oil into the fine tuner screws. Not as stiff now.
EVH tension plate.jpg

I went back to fiddling with the D-tuna today. to my understanding the USA Wolfgangs have the tension plate finger/leg (whatever its called) under the LOW E removed. I read that online anyhow. I took needle nose plier and bent the low one to relieve some tension when the Dtuna is engaged. I did a minor adjustment and I am getting better results. Less tuning shifting when engaging/disengaging the cork. Also worked in some 3 in 1 oil into the fine tuner screws. Not as stiff now.
View attachment 145089
Yes Ed had the spring cut off under the Dtuna but it causes its own problems. When you dive to slack the Dtuna can rotate or just move and then when you release the bar the E/D comes back different.
IMG_1178.jpeg
IMG_1171.jpeg
I don’t think it’s a good idea. This is Ed’s.

Yes Ed had the spring cut off under the Dtuna but it causes its own problems. When you dive to slack the Dtuna can rotate or just move and then when you release the bar the E/D comes back different.

I don’t think it’s a good idea. This is Ed’s.
Interesting. Today I've been playing fair bit and dropping in and out of D with ease now. I think the small amount I bent the low E spring seems to have really helped. I'm watching as I push in the D-tuna and its no longer lifting. Action in/out is very smooth now. I may now readjust my trem springs to loosen the bridge a bit. It's a bit stiff when I tightened in attempt to hold bridge down closer to body when engaging Dtuna. Micro adjustments to find that balance.
Hey @Chewie5150

Looking great!

RE the kill switch cover on the back, perhaps you could use the EVH Frankenstrat Reflector Kit.

https://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/GG/EVHREF

Plenty of outlets have these, including EVH Gear. I put these on the back of mine and it came out really well ...
Cool! thx for the link. I may just do that

Last edited:
One final thing I'm thinking about doing is to treat the back of the neck to make it smoother/slick. I get its a replica and supposed to have that very worn aged feel but I don't care about that in favor of better playability. So any tips @Andy Eagle or others as to improving this? light sand with certain type of wax or perhaps a way to get that EBMM gunstock oil smoothness feel? aside from SS frets, that would make this guitar near perfect

When you need to clean it use a bit of lemon oil on a cloth. To get it super smooth and keep it like that use 1200 paper . It will burr up at first but get more consistent with repeated sanding. After a few times you will hardly ever need to touch it.

Gave the neck a sanding with 1200 grit sandpaper today. Much smoother! I like how it looks. Added my own relic to it. Feels right for the guitar. Also, had to add pics of my little furry buddy whom I've had an ongoing relationship with. Was workin away and heard his chirps

Attachments

• EVHneck.jpg
    EVHneck.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 32
  • EVHneck1.jpg
    EVHneck1.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Petey.jpg
    Petey.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Petey1.jpg
    Petey1.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 32
What a difference it makes. Again, this guitar is just pure fun. It rocks and feels great. I actually used to have a 2013/2014 striped Red/white/black series. It was decent but this Frankie feels like the right EVH homage in my collection. It ain't goin nowhere. 95% of the time I''m playing this with my Plexi 50W 6CA7 preset. Just don't find much reason to deviate from this amp lately

Back
Top Bottom