NGD! - EVH

I'm pretty confident with my hand tool /drill skilz. My main concern is getting clean cut mostly if i placed on lower horn for the top surface. Now I did just go out in backyard after work today and did practiced a bit more on a rough piece of 2x4. I placed tape. pilot hole. even with the 'subpar' forstner bit I got I got a much cleaner cut (not shown in pic). Also tried out the stepped bit I got to place a toggle switch in. In this mockup its a larger switch 1/2" but i'd likely go with mini switch. I did a mockup also of the wiring and voila!
View attachment 144748View attachment 144749
Looks better than my touch screen typing skillzes, though that is not a terribly high bar.... :D

I don't know why I was so anxious. Drilling all done. Soldering will be another day.

Attachments

• tesi.jpg
    tesi.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 62
  • tesi1.jpg
    tesi1.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 51
  • tesi2.jpg
    tesi2.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 53
  • tesi3.jpg
    tesi3.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 48
  • tesi4.jpg
    tesi4.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 46
  • tsi6.jpg
    tsi6.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 48
  • tesi5.jpg
    tesi5.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 47
  • tesi7.jpg
    tesi7.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 51
  • tesi8.jpg
    tesi8.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 64
planning my next stage for the connections this weekend. I'm thinking of placing the battery here. i had a ernie ball cable velcro strap i'm thinking of repurposing. drive a small screw to secure the strap to inside of pickguard cavity there. then just velcro the battery snug. I didn't want to install a battery spring holder or anything like that.

Attachments

• EVH battery.jpg
    EVH battery.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 27
planning my next stage for the connections this weekend. I'm thinking of placing the battery here. i had a ernie ball cable velcro strap i'm thinking of repurposing. drive a small screw to secure the strap to inside of pickguard cavity there. then just velcro the battery snug. I didn't want to install a battery spring holder or anything like that.
Nice job! What was that which looked like a mini drill press clamped to your table? Will you be covering the hole on the back of the kill switch with anything or leaving it open?

Nice job! What was that which looked like a mini drill press clamped to your table? Will you be covering the hole on the back of the kill switch with anything or leaving it open?
Thanks! oh that's just a clamp i got specifically for this project. I needed one anyhow. I also made a little simple rig with 1x2" wood and put neoprene on both sides to protect guitar and also so i could put guitar face down without removing hardware. A U shaped rig leaving middle space to accommodate the trem/pickups etc.
Are you going to make a backplate? Well done BTW.
Thanks Andy! I'm glad I practiced a mockup. Was much better prepared and also sourced a higher grade 5/8" forstner bit which cut clean. yeah backplate. I picked up a standard Gibson switchplate cover that I'll use for now. I actually thought about using a reflector in homage to Eddie but couldn't source a round one with screw holes. If i find one, I'd like that.

Thanks! oh that's just a clamp i got specifically for this project. I needed one anyhow. I also made a little simple rig with 1x2" wood and put neoprene on both sides to protect guitar and also so i could put guitar face down without removing hardware. A U shaped rig leaving middle space to accommodate the trem/pickups etc.

Thanks Andy! I'm glad I practiced a mockup. Was much better prepared and also sourced a higher grade 5/8" forstner bit which cut clean. yeah backplate. I picked up a standard Gibson switchplate cover that I'll use for now. I actually thought about using a reflector in homage to Eddie but couldn't source a round one with screw holes. If i find one, I'd like that.
The reflector is a great idea.

The reflector is a great idea.
I havent spent loads of time searching but last week spent about an hour scouring online. Found these on amazon ...but if only they came round. I'll keep looking. Lots of round ones out there but all have a center mounting screw stem. The other option that I'm not as fond of is getting a round one and just using an adhesive. I mean it's not like i'd be accessing the cavity much at all but still...

Attachments

• reflectors.jpg
    reflectors.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
yeah i thought about drilling one. they are cheap so i could order a few and experiment. If possible I'd want to countersink into the material

Might tackle the soldering today. Getting things ready. Question for you guys. What temp do you like to work with? In the past I've had my iron set at 700F/375C but I may take it down a tad ...It's also going to be nice doing a front loaded guitar for a change.
evh solder.jpg

just getting wires sorted out and fished through. I cut off the quick connects from the tesi in favor of soldering direct on the terminals. Otherwise it doesnt all fit properly in the cavity without making some hard bends on those quick connects. Also, I nearly forgot I needed to thread through the collar/nut and washer underneath before i solder these wires! good thing I caught myself. THose small steps that you can easily overlook...

Attachments

• tesi wiring.jpg
    tesi wiring.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom