NGD - DGT

Wedged between trem block and body, in this case, on both sides. I suppose, after wedging in the blocks, you could remove the springs, but most just block the trem block and go....
I've probably been doing this wrong, but ...

I've always just placed a single wood block between the trem block and the body on the springs side. Then, tightened the springs a bit to keep the block in place.

I've probably been doing this wrong, but ...

I've always just placed a single wood block between the trem block and the body on the springs side. Then, tightened the springs a bit to keep the block in place.
That will work in most cases, but a second block wedged in on the other side of the teem block will prevent pulling up on floating trems like the PRS one. It's kinda belt-and-suspenders, but it will increase trem block to body contact, which is usually a good thing....

That will work in most cases, but a second block wedged in on the other side of the teem block will prevent pulling up on floating trems like the PRS one. It's kinda belt-and-suspenders, but it will increase trem block to body contact, which is usually a good thing....
That makes sense. I've always tightened the springs enough to prevent that pull up. Yup, the lazy way.

All of my electrics have floating bridges. On one, I just "decked" the bridge to temporarily "block" it to make changing between tunings quicker (E standard and DADAAD in this case).

Congrats on the new guitar. I played the DGT and liked it (just couldn't afford it). I felt that the neck profile is slightly less chunky than the PRS 'pattern vintage' found on the McCarty 594(?). BTW you have a nice guitar family.
those of you who have played both a DGT and McCarty 594, would you say the neck profiles are pretty close? I love my 594 neck and wonder which PRS model would be the closest in feel. My local shop has some DGT SE's I should just try out next time I'm there to get a sense of neck profile

I have played both, very recently, and the necks are not comparable to me. The 594 neck is way, way chunkier, with much fuller shoulders.

594 is an asymmetrical carve IIRC where I think the DGT is symmetrical so even if the max thickness was identical they would feel different under the thumb/webbing. I'm lucky in that I like my necks like I like my women. From thin and flat to thick and curved, I can interface with them all.

This is the sure test. When the wife makes an unsolicited remark that she hears a noticeable positive difference then you know you got something special.😉
Actually though! They don't have these over-developed dog ears we all pretend we have, and they're not listening the same way. When they walk in and say something, you know you've got it. (Same goes for people at church, which is how I know my Tele is good even though I sort of hate it.)

When I picked up my Les Paul and played it after in my A/B comparison for her request, she spoke to it directly and said "well, you tried."

One thing I say about my favourite local beer is that it tastes how I expect beer to taste. My DGT just sounds how I expect a guitar to sound. It's perfect for me. (I also know a lot of people don't like my favourite beer, so different strokes for different folks.)

This is the sure test. When the wife makes an unsolicited remark that she hears a noticeable positive difference then you know you got something special.😉
Actually though! They don't have these over-developed dog ears we all pretend we have, and they're not listening the same way. When they walk in and say something, you know you've got it. (Same goes for people at church, which is how I know my Tele is good even though I sort of hate it.)

When I picked up my Les Paul and played it after in my A/B comparison for her request, she spoke to it directly and said "well, you tried."

One thing I say about my favourite local beer is that it tastes how I expect beer to taste. My DGT just sounds how I expect a guitar to sound. It's perfect for me. (I also know a lot of people don't like my favourite beer, so different strokes for different folks.)
I could be completely misinterpreting your reply so please excuse me if I am. But I want to make sure that my comment about the wife was taken as serious and not as sarcasm. My experience has been the same. Every so often my wife will recognize a difference that stands out enough for her to make a comment. Most the time the noise I make I imagine becomes background to her. So if something perks her ears then that means something. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify it.

As an aside, I got to meet Dave Grissom a couple times at the PRS Factory Experience that they use to have until Covid. Here’s a song of his and a bit of jam I recorded one year. He’s a really mellow cool guy.

I could be completely misinterpreting your reply so please excuse me if I am. But I want to make sure that my comment about the wife was taken as serious and not as sarcasm. My experience has been the same.
My bad; I totally thought you were being sarcastic. It’s not the way you said it; it’s an inferiority complex on my part. But I appreciate you and we’re on the same the page! Cheers.

As for @Budda, my friend, a new number one doesn’t necessitate the sale of a previous number one ;) but I will try to find you the dark burst of your dreams, because I owe you one.

I could be completely misinterpreting your reply so please excuse me if I am. But I want to make sure that my comment about the wife was taken as serious and not as sarcasm. My experience has been the same. Every so often my wife will recognize a difference that stands out enough for her to make a comment. Most the time the noise I make I imagine becomes background to her. So if something perks her ears then that means something. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify it.

As an aside, I got to meet Dave Grissom a couple times at the PRS Factory Experience that they use to have until Covid. Here’s a song of his and a bit of jam I recorded one year. He’s a really mellow cool guy.

I love that video, but this one so much better represents the sound of the DGT. Wait for it…

My bad; I totally thought you were being sarcastic. It’s not the way you said it; it’s an inferiority complex on my part. But I appreciate you and we’re on the same the page! Cheers.
It’s cool!. I sort of thought it was misunderstood. Then when I read what I wrote and the “winky eye” at the end I realized it could easily have been taken wrong. No harm and no reason for feeling inferior. Cheers.

I love that video, but this one so much better represents the sound of the DGT. Wait for it…

That was excellent and a proper jam on the main stage.

There’s a back story to that year I posted. Not sure if I remember completely, but I recall that Dave was due to get there the night before and his plane got messed up and he didn’t get there until early afternoon on Saturday. He did a clinic and was saying how jet lagged and tired he was. I believe that was the year they introduced the David Grissom Amp. By the time the clinic was finished the main stage was getting set up for the nights main attractions. So they did a quick song and jam on one of the side stages. I also think he had to immediately turn around and get back to Texas.

I wish the video quality was a bit better on mine. I kept getting bumped or people in the way and when I zoomed in and got bumped it made the camera really shake or go all over the place. I managed and was glad the sound was pretty decent.

Back
Top Bottom