NGD - DGT

I'm using String Swing hangers with the Diamondlife slat system. I like the String Swing hangers much better than the Diamondlife hangers that I was using. As far as strength, I would think the Stringswing would be stronger but the Diamondlife works just fine.
It's good to know that both work in the same rails. Thanks for the tip!

The ones I have are very nicely reinforced. I think there were different options for those.

I'll check out the String Swing hangers next time I need more.

Edit:

Yeah, check the DLG "Pro" hangers... I have no fear of those from a strength perspective

First, nice guitar!

Second, I also have the diamond life gear hanger system. I have the all aluminum ones and the pro hangers. They used to let you order them in a multitude of different colors (mine are white), looks like they are now just offering silver/black.

I did not know about the ability to order rubber caps, just sent them an email and am ordering them for mine. They also gave me two different options for replacing the metal bar, going with the strap one, since I find the bar style fairly awkward to use.

Rubber Options.jpg

First, nice guitar!

Second, I also have the diamond life gear hanger system. I have the all aluminum ones and the pro hangers. They used to let you order them in a multitude of different colors (mine are white), looks like they are now just offering silver/black.

I did not know about the ability to order rubber caps, just sent them an email and am ordering them for mine. They also gave me two different options for replacing the metal bar, going with the strap one, since I find the bar style fairly awkward to use.

View attachment 135982
I just contacted them and they asked me to provide my order number. No cost...

Interestingly, they didn't have the rubber bar before, only the straps which I opted to leave off.

Those caps also look different but could just be the angle.

If anybody is interested in a bit of a comparison here, I am once again a few beers in (my wife is away at a conference, so I guess this is what I do with myself when left alone), and comparing the DGT to all my guitars.

About the only situation I wouldn't prefer the DGT in, generally, is something super high gain. But I thought I would record a couple Zeppelin and Sabbath/Hendrix-y things with a few guitars:

• The DGT
  • My Les Paul (Slash model with overwound Burstbucker 2s)
  • An Ultra Luxe Tele with vintage noiseless pickups (far superior, in my opinion, to the normal noiseless pickups)
  • And my Custom 24 Piezo
The comparison isn't totally fair, just to warn you. The Tele and Custom 24 both need new strings. The Tele currently has 10s on it, but it's screaming for 11s.

If I had to rank them, I'd probably rank them in the order listed above as far as general fun and sound, but the Tele and the LP swap depending on the day. The C24 is really only great at the saturated distortion sound.

If you're bored and want to put your ears through torture, here's the Soundcloud link. I tried to play something similar on each guitar. Bridge pickups, volume and tone at 10, except for the Tele, where I rolled the tone back, because I value your ears. Everything through the 59 Superlead, because I'm basic and it sounds great. No effects. York Audio MV30 cab with SM7 and N22 mics.

First, nice guitar!

View attachment 135982

I just contacted them and they asked me to provide my order number. No cost...

Interestingly, they didn't have the rubber bar before, only the straps which I opted to leave off.

Those caps also look different but could just be the angle.
Just thought to add that an order placed this past Sunday arrived in CT about 1 PM today, 3 days later. DLDirect said they'd include the rubber end caps rather than the metal ones (the images expanded above display the lower of the two as what arrived today).

Surprisingly, the metal trim slat ends are already attached. Apparently, the hangers themselves install by angling them up and down into the slat groove, then by tightening the hanger screw onto the MDF board gently.

Happy to say all parts arrived safely, securely packaged in a large cardboard concrete form tube, adequate installation instructions, with less than 4 days shipment time. Screws included are 10 x #8 x 2-½ coarse thread construction screws, and 4 drywall toggle bolt screws (for securing to drywall where studs are not available). Instructions suggest how 6 construction screws and 2 toggle bolts will attach to 3 studs.

Will allow my subcontractor brother leeway to discern whether we can reach 4 studs or not with 48" of DL slat. Looks good, but will let my brother decide what will hold better.

IIRC, Leon Todd (@2112) has been seen using his with Ragdoll and in many of his videos. I think the DGT can hang pretty well in that genre too.
Totally, but the trem adds a lot of built-in low-mids reverb while palm muting. If I could find a hard tail DGT for this scenario, I’d buy it immediately, because this neck and sound are everything I’ve spent my life looking for in a guitar. Virtually perfect. I just want more!

Totally, but the trem adds a lot of built-in low-mids reverb while palm muting. If I could find a hard tail DGT for this scenario, I’d buy it immediately, because this neck and sound are everything I’ve spent my life looking for in a guitar. Virtually perfect. I just want more!

I was looking at a Wood Library DGT (which thankfully someone bought). Your comment isn’t helping my willpower. 😁

I was looking at a Wood Library DGT (which thankfully someone bought). Your comment isn’t helping my willpower. 😁
YMMV, obviously. For me, I've never owned a guitar that I bonded with so quickly. My wife could hear how much better I sound with this guitar than every other one I own, and she commented on it before I asked. This one, for whatever reason, just matches the way my fingers sound. I can't come up with any other explanation.

I know that a DGT with a hardtail basically doesn't exist, but I like having a hardtail option for some things as above. I'm tempted to get another 50s Les Paul or a McCarty 594 and order the next DGT pickup set that comes up on Reverb or something, because I want it that bad. (I've spent about a dozen hours this week looking for pickups that sound like the DGTs. It's rough.)

YMMV, obviously. For me, I've never owned a guitar that I bonded with so quickly. My wife could hear how much better I sound with this guitar than every other one I own, and she commented on it before I asked. This one, for whatever reason, just matches the way my fingers sound. I can't come up with any other explanation.

I know that a DGT with a hardtail basically doesn't exist, but I like having a hardtail option for some things as above. I'm tempted to get another 50s Les Paul or a McCarty 594 and order the next DGT pickup set that comes up on Reverb or something, because I want it that bad. (I've spent about a dozen hours this week looking for pickups that sound like the DGTs. It's rough.)

Get another DGT and block the trem?

@Joe Bfstplk I don't totally understand how trem blocking works: are the springs still in there? Is the cavity filled with wood to prevent the sort-of built-in reverb tank effect?

I know it's a dumb question, and after more than 20 years of playing, I should know the answer to this, but ¯\(ツ)

@Joe Bfstplk I don't totally understand how trem blocking works: are the springs still in there? Is the cavity filled with wood to prevent the sort-of built-in reverb tank effect?

I know it's a dumb question, and after more than 20 years of playing, I should know the answer to this, but ¯\(ツ)

Basically, you put in a wood wedge/block to prevent the trem from moving. Might need two for a PRS, given the floating trem. Additionally you could put a foam piece in over the springs to damp them from ringing....

100% reversible - simply take out the wood and foam pieces....

@nathan_393 if its only spring ring bothering you, put pvc on the springs and its gone. A free mod if you or someone you know has some around. Alterively you can wedge some foam in the center of the springs.

Also there’s a few dgt hardtails out there, they come up used now and again. Brians had a nice one a few years back..

@nathan_393 if its only spring ring bothering you, put pvc on the springs and its gone. A free mod if you or someone you know has some around. Alterively you can wedge some foam in the center of the springs.

Also there’s a few dgt hardtails out there, they come up used now and again. Brians had a nice one a few years back..
It’s not bothering me; I love it, but it’s not great in every application. So it’s definitely an “I want both” situation.

OK, sorry for overloading this thread, but I just thought up the obvious solution:

This DGT is amazing. I'm concerned it's just the honeymoon period, but I genuinely feel like this is what I wish a Telecaster, Strat, and LP sounded like. Pure magic.

"Get another one" is good advice, but I just spent a whole heap on this, so, uh... I'm going to trade in my SE Custom 24, which never gets played, for the SE DGT. If they're similar in tone/vibe, that's perfect, and I can bring it out of the house without worrying about somebody stealing it. And assuming they're in the same ball park, I could always buy a second SE for pretty cheap and block the trem on that one without worrying about tampering with a $6K CAD guitar.

I know that a DGT with a hardtail basically doesn't exist
I’ve seen them, but they are probably custom orders. The tremolo on a standard one could be blocked to disable it with two wooden wedges. I’ve heard that Clapton does that on his Strats.

The good thing is blocking isn’t necessarily a permanent change and it doesn’t damage the guitar.

OK, sorry for overloading this thread, but I just thought up the obvious solution:

This DGT is amazing. I'm concerned it's just the honeymoon period, but I genuinely feel like this is what I wish a Telecaster, Strat, and LP sounded like. Pure magic.

"Get another one" is good advice, but I just spent a whole heap on this, so, uh... I'm going to trade in my SE Custom 24, which never gets played, for the SE DGT. If they're similar in tone/vibe, that's perfect, and I can bring it out of the house without worrying about somebody stealing it. And assuming they're in the same ball park, I could always buy a second SE for pretty cheap and block the trem on that one without worrying about tampering with a $6K CAD guitar.
tamper!

Also if you’re like me the SE will get sold (with something else) and a second core will arrive. Buy once cry once!

Signed, blocking a trem isnt a mod ;)

Back
Top Bottom