Newbie questions, Scenes Auto-Save, x/y pause

Nero

Inspired
Hi there, I've been a Fractal user for about 4 hours now, I just received my AX8 and luckily as a programmer i tend to dive in before i test anything, i went thru the manual a couple of times last week so it was pretty straight forward to get started.

I have a few questions for those of who are more familiar with these things :)

#1 [SOLVED] Scenes Auto-Save, Is there a way to disable that so that each scene is only saved when you hit the save button? In other words i wanna modifiy scene 1 however i want on the fly and then go to scene 2 and then when i come back to scene 1 i want it to be reset to the last time i saved it.

This would similate my previous set up using a Boss ES-8 switcher running a bunch of pedals, since there was no volume drop between presets i would just switch from preset 1 to preset 2 and turn loops on/off and then switch to another preset and everything would be back to normal. I know i could do this by just using presets but i'm hoping to avoid that volume drop.

[UPDATE] i found this under SETUP/MIDI/SCENE REVERT :)

#2 Volume drop between X/Y amp, I understand that each amp has to be reloaded and that brings in a volume gap, but even if i X/Y between teh same exact amp with the same exact settings there is still a gap, just curious if there's a way around this.

#3 Pedal inputs, i have a roland expression for wah on pedal 1, then i have a dual footswitch with momentary buttons, I thought maybe using a TRS you could assign a controller to the tip and another to the ring but it looks like when you set it up as a button instead of expression you only get to use the tip so 1 footswitch per pedal, is this right or am I missing something?

#4 Looper, does the looper always retain the same recording between scenes? is it supposed to store it with the preset or does it always reset itself? my only use for the looper is for tweaking my presets and for sound checks live

#5 is there a way to let the looper stay on between scenes?

#6 as in the above is there a way to set up a block so it stays ON until I turn it OFF or the other way around even after changing scenes?

I hope these aren't dumb questions, So far i'm loving this thing!!!

Last edited:
Hi there, I've been a Fractal user for about 4 hours now, I just received my AX8 and luckily as a programmer i tend to dive in before i test anything, i went thru the manual a couple of times last week so it was pretty straight forward to get started.

I have a few questions for those of who are more familiar with these things :)

Welcome to the party!

#1 [SOLVED] Scenes Auto-Save, Is there a way to disable that so that each scene is only saved when you hit the save button? In other words i wanna modifiy scene 1 however i want on the fly and then go to scene 2 and then when i come back to scene 1 i want it to be reset to the last time i saved it.

This would similate my previous set up using a Boss ES-8 switcher running a bunch of pedals, since there was no volume drop between presets i would just switch from preset 1 to preset 2 and turn loops on/off and then switch to another preset and everything would be back to normal. I know i could do this by just using presets but i'm hoping to avoid that volume drop.

[UPDATE] i found this under SETUP/MIDI/SCENE REVERT :)

Good job...

#2 Volume drop between X/Y amp, I understand that each amp has to be reloaded and that brings in a volume gap, but even if i X/Y between teh same exact amp with the same exact settings there is still a gap, just curious if there's a way around this.

As far as I have found, no. It is always loading an amp, even if it is the same one. There's the slight gap. One option is to use scene controllers if you just need an adjustment or two on the amp (master up a little, etc).

#3 Pedal inputs, i have a roland expression for wah on pedal 1, then i have a dual footswitch with momentary buttons, I thought maybe using a TRS you could assign a controller to the tip and another to the ring but it looks like when you set it up as a button instead of expression you only get to use the tip so 1 footswitch per pedal, is this right or am I missing something?

Not missing anything, the external switch circuit is tip/sleeve only so one per connection is all you get.

#4 Looper, does the looper always retain the same recording between scenes? is it supposed to store it with the preset or does it always reset itself? my only use for the looper is for tweaking my presets and for sound checks live

I'm not a looper expert, sorry, can't help here!

See # 4 :)

#6 as in the above is there a way to set up a block so it stays ON until I turn it OFF or the other way around even after changing scenes?

That's the function of scene revert you mentioned above. If you need it to revert in that instance, but not in this instance you're stuck... it is one or the other (revert or don't). Can't think of another way.

I hope these aren't dumb questions, So far i'm loving this thing!!!

Hope that helps a little!

no. the ax8 doesn't know if you'll be changing to the same amp or a different one, so X and Y "fully reload" which needs the audio gap.

a Pedal jack can use either 1 Expression Pedal or 1 Switch. if you are comparing to the MFC-101, it has specific Pedal and Switch jacks, where the Switch jacks are 2-in-1. all Pedal jacks on the AX8, FX8 or Axe-Fx II are 1 Pedal or 1 Switch.

Scenes only change block On/Off and XY status (and a few other small things), so the looper wouldn't lose the data between Scenes. further, it won't lose data between presets if both presets contain the Looper block AND more importantly, both Looper blocks are configured exactly the same (primarily the Mono/Stereo/etc. setting).

if you want the Looper to stay on among Scenes, just make sure the block in engaged/turned on in all Scenes.

this has been a wish item for a while and is not possible at this time. Scenes (and Presets) dictate what blocks are engaged; switches/blocks can't be set to "ignore saved state" at this time.

Back
Top Bottom