Newb question for the gigging types - Power conditioners?

jsl2h

Inspired
I have my first upcoming gig with my axe fx II next month and I'm wondering what route I should go as far as power conditioners. I keep seeing that Furman's don't actually make your gear impervious to voltage spikes as they say they will. Right now I only use my Axe at home with one of those Furman power strips in case the mother of all thunderstorms comes along while I'm playing... it was $15 so I figured it was worth it. But for a gigging situation, what could I buy within the $200 range that would guarantee my rig isn't gonna blow up? I cannot afford another axe fx, so I think the investment is necessary but I don't want to buy a glorified surge protector/power strip. I've heard a "voltage regulator" is the way to go. Are there any particular products that those of you who gig can verify has saved/protected their gear over the years? Thanks so much!

Well I am by no means an expert in this arena but everyone I know out there uses a furman in their rack. The one that I got was about $130. I suppose you go on Google and type "furman power conditioner vs." and see what comes up.

I use a Monster Power Pro 2500. I see this one in a lot of pro touring rigs. It's supposed to give you great protection, as well as eliminate unwanted noises. Have not had a surge come through that I know of while playing, but it did get rid of noise I had while using my Furman. Check it out, it has different types of inputs for different types of equipment. Look up the manual and read it, that and some reviews sold me on it. Joe

I keep seeing that Furman's don't actually make your gear impervious to voltage spikes as they say they will.

Furmans are an industry standard for a reason. I also own a Monster for my home theater rig.

Are there other options? Certainly; and different players have different needs.

I'm happy with the Furman PLC DMC+ (and I live where power outages are very common (PNW)). Not only will it stop spikes, it also looks a line voltage variations and will shut down if outside of parameters (brownouts are the worst). (This unit will also monitor current draw as well as voltage.) And it's not just a suicidal diode that is in your $15 power strip.

If you need to deal with more electrical supply problems (e.g. international, questionable venues, etc.) and you don't mind the weight, a big iron conditioner might be the right tool for you. Others like to carry around batteries like a UPS. Again, YMMV.

Nothing is going to stop your gear from blowing up if you get a lighting strike or massive power surge.
Many venues have crappy power, too many outlets per circuit and often run ice machines, refrigerators and other "noisy" devices on the same circuits they supply to the stage.. Not much you can do about that tho'..
A decent surge protector will do as much good as a $200 conditioner.
The most common problem I have encountered is brown-outs (low-voltage) at venues.. most "digital" devices have problems with that.

I've used APC (American Power Conversion) gear for decades (as well as other brands) and it literally can take a direct hit from lightning and your connected equipment won't blow up. Here's a link to a model that has battery backup. It's geared toward computers but will be equally effective protecting your FAS gear. Browse their web site for a model you like.
http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...V-1U-Rackmount-Tower/P-SC450RM1U#BVRRWidgetID

Tripplite.com also has some good gear. And of course ...

FURMAN is the 800lb gorilla in this space. They have many models but this one is popular: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CLWY4--_0ssCFZQbgQodTbEH4g

I've used APC (American Power Conversion) gear for decades (as well as other brands) and it literally can take a direct hit from lightning and your connected equipment won't blow up. Here's a link to a model that has battery backup. It's geared toward computers but will be equally effective protecting your FAS gear. Browse their web site for a model you like.
http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...V-1U-Rackmount-Tower/P-SC450RM1U#BVRRWidgetID

Tripplite.com also has some good gear. And of course ...

FURMAN is the 800lb gorilla in this space. They have many models but this one is popular: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CLWY4--_0ssCFZQbgQodTbEH4g

Ahh yes! I totally forgot about APC. Tons of businesses trust them for surge protection and voltage regulation. I suppose that would be a good option, as long as you don't mind carrying around a lead brick around with you... ;)

I have my first upcoming gig with my axe fx II next month and I'm wondering what route I should go as far as power conditioners. I keep seeing that Furman's don't actually make your gear impervious to voltage spikes as they say they will. Right now I only use my Axe at home with one of those Furman power strips in case the mother of all thunderstorms comes along while I'm playing... it was $15 so I figured it was worth it. But for a gigging situation, what could I buy within the $200 range that would guarantee my rig isn't gonna blow up? I cannot afford another axe fx, so I think the investment is necessary but I don't want to buy a glorified surge protector/power strip. I've heard a "voltage regulator" is the way to go. Are there any particular products that those of you who gig can verify has saved/protected their gear over the years? Thanks so much!
Nothing can prevent damage from a direct short or surge from a direct strike during a thundestorm, the power racks are more about convience than anything else. That said power regulators are worth what they cost concerning ground loops, emi rejection, line noise. The Furman AR1215 regulator was $450 20 years ago. There are cheaper models but you get what you pay for and the new ones seem a bit flimsy to me. Despite what our goverment says inflation is evident every where you look when it comes to the things you want and need to buy! The Furman P 2400 It I want to buy for my studio to symetrically balance the electrical supply run about $2400 ea, and I need about four of them. And that is the cheaper model!

Back
Top Bottom