New user a few questions.

Hello,

Happy new user here..well of about a month now. I'm ready to go beyong the "Cranked Plexi" and "Cliffs Of Dover" patches although nothing else matters..except a clean patch here and there.

I want to quickly say that the FAQs and Wiki FAQs are horrible and have an EXCELLENT talent for stating the OBVIOUS. Please give us what's NOT in the manual. And the search option here turned up a bunch of.."my stomach hurts axe fx ruLZE" or "Confessions of a forum addict" wtf?

1. How do you reset EVERYTHING, the factory patches that I've changed, the effects..EVERYTHING! Not a little "global" this and that setting, or some effect parameter setting. I mean reset EVERYTHING from factory stock just like when you first turn it on. Why haven't I seen this at all please don't tell me the axe fx doesn't have that option. I've messed around and created a couple of patches and want to COMPLETELY erase them, the name, the settings, the effects etc etc. How do I do this?

2. What is the best or the better midi interfaces for connecting the axe fx to a pc with WINDOWS 7 x64 bit or at least the ones with the best drivers..again, searching thru the list of midi connections here turned up, "mAc rULZ" and other bs like that. I'm thinking of the MAudio Midisport 2x2 any experiences with Win7?

That's it, everything else was well documented. I appreciate the replies and THANKS in advance.

FretboardMuncher said:
Hello,
2. What is the best or the better midi interfaces for connecting the axe fx to a pc with WINDOWS 7 x64 bit or at least the ones with the best drivers..again, searching thru the list of midi connections here turned up, "mAc rULZ" and other bs like that. I'm thinking of the MAudio Midisport 2x2 any experiences with Win7?
I'm running my Midisport UNO on Win7 x64 Ultimate AMD Phenom triple-core, 8GB Ram machine - with latest MAudio drivers. I have NOT tried a firmware upgrade yet, but everything else works fine. I did set "midi buffer size" = 256, and "midi buffer delay" = 90ms (as recommended in the forum sticky for the UNO).
http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=434

Others have stated that the midisport 2x2 works fine also, tho' they have posted some feedback on Chan B working, but not A.

s0c9 said:
FretboardMuncher said:
Hello,
I'm running my Midisport UNO on Win7 x64 Ultimate AMD Phenom triple-core, 8GB Ram machine - with latest MAudio drivers. I have NOT tried a firmware upgrade yet, but everything else works fine. I did set "midi buffer size" = 256, and "midi buffer delay" = 90ms (as recommended in the forum sticky for the UNO).
http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=434

Others have stated that the midisport 2x2 works fine also, tho' they have posted some feedback on Chan B working, but not A.

Do you remember which drivers you used because I don't see any drivers for the Uno and Win7.

Off topic..how do you like the new triple cores? I'm behind the times with old i7 quad core. :mrgreen:

FretboardMuncher said:
fuzznut said:
There is no "reset" button on the Axe-fx. You have to load the original patch banks via a 'puter. Axe-edit will get you there. Here is where you can download the original preset banks:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=338&start=30

I was afraid of that. That's one serious flaw for such an advanced and great unit.

Thanks for the link man.

That's your idea of a serious flaw? Do you really need to do this often enough that it requires a function built into the Axe to make it more convenient? :?

DNW said:
FretboardMuncher said:
fuzznut said:
There is no "reset" button on the Axe-fx. You have to load the original patch banks via a 'puter. Axe-edit will get you there. Here is where you can download the original preset banks:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=338&start=30

I was afraid of that. That's one serious flaw for such an advanced and great unit.

Thanks for the link man.

That's your idea of a serious flaw? Do you really need to do this often enough that it requires a function built into the Axe to make it more convenient? :?

Number of times used is irrelevant here..do I need to do it now? Yes, do I have that option now? No, therefore serious flaw. Simple linear logic man and if you take into account all the modelers out in the market that give you that basic and important option, defenitely serious flaw. The other one is not having a usb connection but I can live with that.

FretboardMuncher said:
Do you remember which drivers you used because I don't see any drivers for the Uno and Win7.

Off topic..how do you like the new triple cores? I'm behind the times with old i7 quad core. :mrgreen:
Hmm, apparently I'm using MS native drivers... dated: 7/13/2009 v6.1.7600.16385
NOT MAudio's own.
Looks like Win7 decided that MS drivers are the "best choice" when I connected to the USB port.
Whooda figured ?

OT: Yes, like the triple-core. Win7 x64 has a larger "footprint" than XP64 (my prior OS), so I went with extra RAM, and my system appreciates that.

FretboardMuncher said:
Number of times used is irrelevant here..do I need to do it now? Yes, do I have that option now? No, therefore serious flaw. Simple linear logic man and if you take into account all the modelers out in the market that give you that basic and important option, defenitely serious flaw. The other one is not having a usb connection but I can live with that.

No, it really isn't a serious flaw, because it really isn't a critical function, nor is it something you really need to be able to do in a hurry. "Quick, I need to suddenly replace all my patches with the factory settings... oh, damn you Fractal Audioooooooo!!!!" :|

I used to own a GT-8 before I had my Axe. When I finally went to sell it I decided to figure out how to do a factory reset to wipe all my patches. This was the only time I'd ever used it, it took me forever to find where it explains how to do it in the manual for this one occasion, and I really don't see how it was any easier than replacing the patches via MIDI like in the Axe (a process most users are going to be fairly familiar with anyway).

For the unit to be able to do a "factory reset", that means the factory settings need to be stored somewhere internally so that the unit has settings to actually reset to. So somewhere in the unit, some kind of memory is being used just for the few occasions people might want to do a factory reset? Evidently Cliff decided that was a bit of a waste, and considering you need to be able to connect the Axe to a PC to get the most out of it anyway (updates, user IRs, etc), I would tend to agree with that.

s0c9 said:
FretboardMuncher said:

Hmm, apparently I'm using MS native drivers... dated: 7/13/2009 v6.1.7600.16385
NOT MAudio's own.
Looks like Win7 decided that MS drivers are the "best choice" when I connected to the USB port.
Whooda figured ?

OT: Yes, like the triple-core. Win7 x64 has a larger "footprint" than XP64 (my prior OS), so I went with extra RAM, and my system appreciates that.

Right on, thanks for the info..

My mistake, for some reason I thought you had 6 cores since they've been coming out now. Yes, the extra ram does help. I need all the ram I can get to play...monopoly and chess :roll:

DNW said:
FretboardMuncher said:

No, it really isn't a serious flaw, because it really isn't a critical function, nor is it something you really need to be able to do in a hurry. "Quick, I need to suddenly replace all my patches with the factory settings... oh, damn you Fractal Audioooooooo!!!!" :|

I used to own a GT-8 before I had my Axe. When I finally went to sell it I decided to figure out how to do a factory reset to wipe all my patches. This was the only time I'd ever used it, it took me forever to find where it explains how to do it in the manual for this one occasion, and I really don't see how it was any easier than replacing the patches via MIDI like in the Axe (a process most users are going to be fairly familiar with anyway).

For the unit to be able to do a "factory reset", that means the factory settings need to be stored somewhere internally so that the unit has settings to actually reset to. So somewhere in the unit, some kind of memory is being used just for the few occasions people might want to do a factory reset? Evidently Cliff decided that was a bit of a waste, and considering you need to be able to connect the Axe to a PC to get the most out of it anyway (updates, user IRs, etc), I would tend to agree with that.

I see.

I'd love to hook it up to my PC but the program is Beta and just by 15 yrs of pc use and after building many pcs, I know that beta really means, "try at your own risk". I also went to the Axe Edit board here and ran as fast as I could after the first 100 "My midi interface does not work" threads. I was going to try it this week but I'll just wait until they release a full program fully tested.. if they ever do. The axe has been out for what 3 yrs and yet no complete edit program? I'm not trying anything "Beta" on my pcs.

FretboardMuncher said:
DNW said:
FretboardMuncher said:

I see.

I'd love to hook it up to my PC but the program is Beta and just by 15 yrs of pc use and after building many pcs, I know that beta really means, "try at your own risk". I also went to the Axe Edit board here and ran as fast as I could after the first 100 "My midi interface does not work" threads. I was going to try it this week but I'll just wait until they release a full program fully tested.. if they ever do. The axe has been out for what 3 yrs and yet no complete edit program? I'm not trying anything "Beta" on my pcs.

You don't need to use the editor to reload the banks or load firmware for that matter. You can use boones sendsx or midiox to load the factory banks in. Neither of those programs are beta. The instructions are on the WIKI.

FretboardMuncher said:
I see.

As JJ said, you can use other programs instead if you don't want to try the Axe-Edit Beta.

I've not tried any myself though. I used to use the original non-FAS editor (only for firmware updates really), and now use the beta. I haven't had any problems with it as such, but it did take me a bit to figure out just WTF was going on when trying to load in user cabs. I've always been a front panel tweaker too, but naving recently played around with Axe-Edit for a bit of patch editing, I think it is really pretty good on that side of things.

P.S. I'll take your rather concise, "I see," as meaning, "FFS, why is he still going on about this?! :?"
:lol: Apologies... I do tend to get carried away sometimes. :mrgreen:

FretboardMuncher said:
I'd love to hook it up to my PC but the program is Beta and just by 15 yrs of pc use and after building many pcs, I know that beta really means, "try at your own risk". I also went to the Axe Edit board here and ran as fast as I could after the first 100 "My midi interface does not work" threads.

True about the Beta, “try at your own risk” but you pointed out allot of users saying there, (midi interface does not work). If the midi interface does not work (at all) can’t blame the Axe editor. But for the rest of those people. In most of those cases it’s just people not familiar enough with midi and it’s something in the setup itself.
Have the editor on two of my machines and it runs just fine, use it for the firmware upgrades and of course editing. Even past versions ran fine.
The interfaces I have are a Midisport 2x2 for my laptop and a PreSonus Firebox for my workstation.

I use the editor too.. but then I'm an IT guy.
Beta in this case means that it's not officially supported, but there is an official bug list and it has its own forum section.
Works fine for me on Win7 x64 Ultimate using an MAudio Midisport UNO (MS Drivers, not theirs).
Changed midi delay from 60 to 90ms..

The editor is relatively intuitive and user-friendly. Takes a little getting used to, but no more so than any other piece of software. It's stable on my PC. Way more so than some "released" software.
Down side is that it's Java. Makes it platform portable [Mac OS/X], but some things do not work fast and it can use more memory and system resources than an equivalent C++ program. I can live with that tho'.

s0c9 said:
Down side is that it's Java. Makes it platform portable [Mac OS/X], but some things do not work fast and it can use more memory and system resources than an equivalent C++ program. I can live with that tho'.

Tsk, It's not JAVA. It's C++. It uses JUCE for it's widget library and MIDI/audio cross platform support (yes in C++).

Unless you are talking about LARS editor.

AlbertA said:
Tsk, It's not JAVA. It's C++. It uses JUCE for it's widget library and MIDI/audio cross platform support (yes in C++).
I stand appropriately corrected. :oops: :oops:
C++ is actually good news, and no, I was not talking about LARS Editor.

Strange, Axe-Edit has been working great for me
on both Mac and PC and I'm all that a man can be but not an IT guy,
Lord has had mercy on me for once! :lol:

AlbertA said:
s0c9 said:

I too thought the editor was Java based...I thought I'd seen someone point out the lack of MIDI support in Java as a reason for the way the editor was designed. But apparently I misunderstood, maybe that's the reason it was not made in Java?

torkolort said:
I too thought the editor was Java based...I thought I'd seen someone point out the lack of MIDI support in Java as a reason for the way the editor was designed. But apparently I misunderstood, maybe that's the reason it was not made in Java?
I feel a little better now that I'm "not alone" !!
Perhaps LARS editor was in java and yes, java support for midi IS limited and that might have been the deciding factor in going to C++.

Back
Top Bottom