New to Fractal, got an FM3 on the way, first question...

From what I’m understanding ( barely ) , Out 1 just covers overall volume, no tone changes, Out 2 , will change your tone depending where the knob is set, basically, Out2 is so you don’t clip your power amp, then use the power amps volume control to set how loud you are.

I think.

From what I’m understanding ( barely ) , Out 1 just covers overall volume, no tone changes, Out 2 , will change your tone depending where the knob is set, basically, Out2 is so you don’t clip your power amp, then use the power amps volume control to set how loud you are.

I think.
Out 1 covers overall volume -- for Output 1.

Out 2 covers overall volume -- for Output 2

Neither Out1 nor Out2 will change your tone. They only change volume.

I think.
If Out1 didn’t change the tone, it would be completely useless. And both outputs have a level control.

but whatever, you can do it anyway you want.

Maybe I’m misinterpreting the manual.

The way it reads, it makes them seem “different” from one another.

At least to me.

At least to me.
A recent firmware update changed the way Out2 behaves, as I described above. This change may not have made it into the manual yet.

Last edited:
Yeah but if I have Out2 set to full unity gain, I’ll have no way to adjust volume on the fly. Unless I’m missing something.
"unity gain" doesn't always mean "all the way up" and unity gain doesn't mean "correct" either. it's a specific level meaning what goes in is the same volume that comes out.

if you want to be able to turn up and down, don't set the knob all the way up, regardless of what "unity gain" is.

At least to me.
A recent firmware update changed the way Out2 behaves, as I described above. This change may not have made it into the manual yet.
regardless of this, it never changed tone. they are "Output Levels" not tone controls. never were.

If Out1 didn’t change the tone, it would be completely useless.
this may have been clearer if you said

If Out1 did change the tone, it would be completely useless.

saying "if it didn't" may be confusing because there's no "if" - it doesn't change tone. if it DID, then it would be useless.

"unity gain" doesn't always mean "all the way up" and unity gain doesn't mean "correct" either. it's a specific level meaning what goes in is the same volume that comes out.

if you want to be able to turn up and down, don't set the knob all the way up, regardless of what "unity gain" is.

regardless of this, it never changed tone. they are "Output Levels" not tone controls. never were.

saying "if it didn't" may be confusing because there's no "if" - it doesn't change tone. if it DID, then it would be useless.
Then I’ll use Output 2

I was in no great hurry to look for (buy) a custom length right angle xlr to right angle mono 1/4.

You must be right. I just wrote it, what do I know?
Please read what you wrote as if you don't know what you meant already.

Thanks @chris - that is exactly what I was referring to.

If any output of the FM3 did NOT change the tone, it would be useless. It’s an amp modeler. Come on guys.

You can move out 2 as a block ...and it has analog control of the final level
Super for driving back line separate from the foh feed(s)

Back
Top Bottom