New to Fractal, got an FM3 on the way, first question...

Jeggz

Inspired
Hello Fractal noob here, quick question, are the Output 1/2 knobs on the top of the FM3 for quick volume adjustment on stage, or are they “signal controls” for the Power Amp?

Thanks

I’m looking to use the FM as my fly rig, with a Ritter pedalboard Power amp, the Ritter has no controls, just on/off, so the FM has to control everything.

I’m looking to use the FM as my fly rig, with a Ritter pedalboard Power amp, the Ritter has no controls, just on/off, so the FM has to control everything.
yup. so the Output knobs would do both things you mentioned.

Hello Fractal noob here, quick question, are the Output 1/2 knobs on the top of the FM3 for quick volume adjustment on stage, or are they “signal controls” for the Power Amp?

Thanks
They're for adjustment of the output volume only. They have no effect on the power amp modeling or any other aspect of the sound.

They're for adjustment of the output volume only. They have no effect on the power amp modeling or any other aspect of the sound.
That’s fine, just need them to adjust stage volume, without going through pages, I’m a set it and forget it type of guy.
I probably won’t use 60% of what the FM is capable of, I just want a light and simple rig .
I use one sound all night, I don’t use IR’s or cab sims, and I’ll probably only use a delay and a verb after the Amp model.

That’s fine, just need them to adjust stage volume, without going through pages, I’m a set it and forget it type of guy.
I probably won’t use 60% of what the FM is capable of, I just want a light and simple rig .
I use one sound all night, I don’t use IR’s or cab sims, and I’ll probably only use a delay and a verb after the Amp model.
You'll be well served by the FM3.

I know!

I dipped my toe in the “Modeling pool” in April with a Bias Head, it was good, but the Fractal is obviously a different ball of wax.

If I use Output 1 to the power amp, I need an xlr to 1/4 instrument or xlr to trs?

Last edited:
Out 1 is XLR so yeah. TRS I think you only need if you’re switching things, which a power amp isn’t doing anyway.

Last edited:
If you’re going into a power amp, why wouldn’t you just use output 2?
Because the Ritter PowerAmp has no volume control, it’s full blast all the time, so I gotta use Output 1 because it’s an output volume, where Output 2 is more for signal power ( Output 2 is unity gain full clockwise).
Or so I’m understanding.

Because the Ritter PowerAmp has no volume control, it’s full blast all the time, so I gotta use Output 1 because it’s an output volume, where Output 2 is more for signal power ( Output 2 is unity gain full clockwise).
Or so I’m understanding.
You can use an expression pedal to control volume BTW. Fractal makes excellent expression pedals.

For instance:

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ev-2-expression-volume-pedal/

Or so I’m understanding.
Nah. They both have level controls, and you can use either one. And also, unity gain is plenty of signal for the amp.

I wanna keep things as compact as possible.

I probably won’t even keep my pedalboard on the floor, I’ll put it on top of the 4x12 cab and turn the tuner on/off with my hand.

Or so I’m understanding.
Recent firmware changed the behavior of Output 2. Now, when Out2 is set up to echo Out1, it gives the same signal strength as Out1.

Nah. They both have level controls, and you can use either one. And also, unity gain is plenty of signal for the amp.
Yeah but if I have Out2 set to full unity gain, I’ll have no way to adjust volume on the fly. Unless I’m missing something.

Recent firmware changed the behavior of Output 2. Now, when Out2 is set up to echo Out1, it gives the same signal strength as Out1.
So with the new firmware, if I set Out1 to +4db, then Out2 will also be +4db no matter where the knob is set?

Back
Top Bottom