New Suhr has "dead" notes :(

I found this over on TGP: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-how-can-you-tell-and-what-causes-it.1228544/

Lines up with what you are experiencing.

I think the amount of weight/mass you add to the headstock is key. The wall is a huge mass that can affect the necks vibration. A clip on tuner.... not so much.

I am not suggesting you do this, but rather thinking out loud. I suspect adding a piece of Tungsten to the headstock would probably add enough mass to have some effect (tungsten is some heavy ass material). Would probably also add enough weight to make the guitar top heavy and prone to nose dives.

Having played a guitar with titanium parts, I can tell you that Titanium nuts, saddles, and sustain blocks all have significant impact on the resonance of a guitar. They fundamentally alter the interplay between the strings and the neck/body of the guitar (They add considerable passive sustain too). The strings feel more energetic with titanium parts. Perhaps a Titanium nut or sustain block upgrade could could be your way out if this?

I realize @Piing said that a brass sustain block did not help. I have used steel, brass, copper, tungsten, zinc alloy, and titanium sustain blocks. I have used brass, steel, stock, zinc alloy, and titanium nuts for my OFRs. Titanium is different. IME all metals beside Titanium are like a filter, they are highly biased to specific frequencies. They are eager to absorb vibrations, particularly those in specific resonance frequencies.

In my experience, Titanium is less eager to absorb sympathetic vibrations and does so with less frequency bias.

I wish there were "scientific evidence" of this kind of stuff, like freq plots or blind tests of different metal parts in the same guitar or something like that. My personal experience with this kind of parts has not thrown out big differences among the available options (nor that I have experimented a lot anyway, so that's just, well, personal :) ), and I think it is quite difficult to rule out effects like differences among guitars, wood, psychoacoustics, etc.

John Suhr himself even mentions vibrato in his post. To what extent a proper playing technique can neglect or render unnoticeable the influence of those materials?

I hope he can help bringing this dead note back to life!

John Suhr himself even mentions vibrato in his post. To what extent a proper playing technique can neglect or render unnoticeable the influence of those materials?

I hope he can help bringing this dead note back to life!
Yeah... Vibrato doesn't help for me at all. Even heavy vibrato with the Floyd Rose...

Yeah... Vibrato doesn't help for me at all. Even heavy vibrato with the Floyd Rose...

I was actually speaking more about the influence of materials and big trem blocks. Sorry if that derailed your thread a bit.

Maybe vibrato can help with some slightly dead spots, but it seems yours is a trully severe case.

The tech said it's safe and sound but waiting for the COVID-19 lockdown to end so that John Suhr can actually come in and work on it.

Pretty cool that the man himself is involved at that level...

From what I’ve heard, John is very involved with pretty much everything that goes on with his company. I’ve been told that it’s not uncommon to catch him doing fretwork on guitars after hours. I’m glad to hear that they’re taking care of you with this issue. 👍🏻

I had a mahogany/maple body, mahogany neck Modern. I think I got it from Eddies. It was a special run of Plus’s for them. Thought this would be an awesome combination on a Modern. And yes, G string around 9th fret would die almost instantly. I tried to figure out what what was going on as I have heard of guitars with dead notes but can’t say I’ve ever experienced it with any decent guitars I’ve owned. Tried messing with pick-up height, checked all adjustments, I just couldn’t fix it. I sent it to Suhr a couple weeks after I got it for a finish crack in the neck joint and a bad volume pot. I don’t think I said anything about the dead spot cause maybe it’s my imagination and they would probably just say it sounds fine to them. I ended up selling it a few months after getting it back. I have since bought a Custom Standard and Standard Pro. I’ve had these a few years and they are keepers. Great playing/sounding guitars.

I had a mahogany/maple body, mahogany neck Modern. I think I got it from Eddies. It was a special run of Plus’s for them. Thought this would be an awesome combination on a Modern. And yes, G string around 9th fret would die almost instantly. I tried to figure out what what was going on as I have heard of guitars with dead notes but can’t say I’ve ever experienced it with any decent guitars I’ve owned. Tried messing with pick-up height, checked all adjustments, I just couldn’t fix it. I sent it to Suhr a couple weeks after I got it for a finish crack in the neck joint and a bad volume pot. I don’t think I said anything about the dead spot cause maybe it’s my imagination and they would probably just say it sounds fine to them. I ended up selling it a few months after getting it back. I have since bought a Custom Standard and Standard Pro. I’ve had these a few years and they are keepers. Great playing/sounding guitars.
That sucks... But glad you found some good ones. ;)

I cannot read 145 responses lol. It's storming it's ass off out here near Chicago so I'm monitoring my basement to prevent any water seepage lol. What's the general consensus on the dead G ?

I’ve heard something like this occurring before from a friend that owned one from the company. He said it’s hit or miss with them... hopefully you get it all sorted out

I’ve heard something like this occurring before from a friend that owned one from the company. He said it’s hit or miss with them... hopefully you get it all sorted out
I was just curious because I am thinking about getting a modern custom later this year

Assuming that issues with neck straightness and fret leveling have been ruled out, the issue arises when you get just the right (or wrong in this case) combination of body mass and neck mass. It can vary in severity from slightly less sustain than other notes to nearly no sustain at all. It does seem that people report this issue with 24 fret bolt on guitars more than on others, but it is possible on nearly any guitar from any brand at any price point. Shorter scale length guitars are less likely to exhibit this issue. It is entirely possible that a guitar you currently own has a few slightly deadened notes and you've never noticed it.

If you're really bothered by the idea of a dead note on your guitar then the best way to avoid that is to play test the instrument before you buy. That's not a possibility on a custom order, but Suhr customer service is very good and they stand behind their products, so I wouldn't stress about that too much.

Sad to read that, I just got (two weeks) a suhr modern and have restrung to 9-46, had to readjust the bridge (gotoh 510) but then seems fine, I will check again anyway!

Sorry to hear that. Just ask for a new guitar I'm sure they will provide you a new one.. My Suhr Modern is flawless, The best guitar I have ever played..

Sorry to hear that. Just ask for a new guitar I'm sure they will provide you a new one.. My Suhr Modern is flawless, The best guitar I have ever played..
I doubt they will... But I would be open to it.

They've had it for months - additional delays due to COVID-19.

I can confirm this on my modern plus also, at first thought it was F and F# on G string (those were dying faster than why other note) but I had mi clip tuner on headstock, when I removed it it changed to f# and G.
Don't know how much of a trouble it will be since I'm from Mexico. The extreme South part and to have it checked by Suhr it would mean have it travel across all my country and it would be pita it something happened to it while traveling to the factory in USA.

Before buying my Suhr I has an S2 PRS with a Wolftone on A. I was obsessed with it at first but after looking a lot on internet I found a post saying this kind of things happens in high end instrument due to more resonant woods... Or something like that.
Hope everything ends well for you :D

I can confirm this on my modern plus also, at first thought it was F and F# on G string (those were dying faster than why other note) but I had mi clip tuner on headstock, when I removed it it changed to f# and G.
Don't know how much of a trouble it will be since I'm from Mexico. The extreme South part and to have it checked by Suhr it would mean have it travel across all my country and it would be pita it something happened to it while traveling to the factory in USA.

Before buying my Suhr I has an S2 PRS with a Wolftone on A. I was obsessed with it at first but after looking a lot on internet I found a post saying this kind of things happens in high end instrument due to more resonant woods... Or something like that.
Hope everything ends well for you :D
They paid for return shipping, so no cost there, at least. ;)

Back
Top Bottom