New Modern Double Cut from Gibson

Two things are wrong with that. That's an Explorer headstock (1958?), and Gibson owns Kramer.

Explorer headstocks point to the ground. Kramer points up. I didn't know they bought Kramer but I'm not surprised. Whoop dee doo.

Anyhooo... back to the story. Gibson buys companies like Kramer, like Steinberger, like Valley Arts, and dismembers them. They do this in the hopes of injecting new blood and new ideas into their sphere. But here's what really happens....

They buy the brands and the intellectual property up and try to absorb competition. After the acquisition they fire pretty much everyone in a position that is redundant and whomever they don't fire quits within a year because it just isn't the same working for Big Guitar as its was in the <100 employee company. It's a familiar script.

Explorer headstocks point to the ground. Kramer points up. I didn't know they bought Kramer but I'm not surprised. Whoop dee doo.
Not that I care one way or another, but Kramer headstocks went both directions... The originals as far as I remember looked very similar to the Explorer.

Explorer headstocks point to the ground.

Not all of 'em... :)

nwwDMHC.png

I'm cool with it overall, except they should have painted the headstock to match the body.

To me the price is what it is. They can set it at whatever they want, and let the market decide if it wins of flops. For $2000 or less, I might consider it. For $4000 I would rather get a sick, insane, 100% custom guitar from Kiesel.

Yes - a little bulky. But comfortable for me. The neck is spectacular - extremely low action, no buzz, very fast. I put some Seymour Duncan's in it for a bit higher output (back when I was using tube amps) but still have the stock Tim Shaw PAFs. Absolutely badass.

Back
Top Bottom