New Modern Double Cut from Gibson

mr_fender

Axe-Master
Interesting new design from Gibson.
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Modern-Double-Cut-Standard.aspx
MDCSPSL11099_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

24 frets, better heel design for high fret access, reinforced neck volute to help avoid headstock breaks, tummy cut on the back. Seems like some solid improvements. Nice blend of classic and modern design. Pricy, but good to see Gibson offering something new.

i think i could get used to the body shape and even grow to like it BUT the headstock needs to change too. They just don't work together.

Thoughts in no particular order...
1 - A guitar they should have made 30-40 years ago when superstrats and frankensteins started roaming the landscape
2 - Absurdly overpriced
3 - Yeah, the headstock doesn't fit and attempt a a modern guitar
4 - I'll never forgive them for what the did to the Steinberger brand
5 - The Epiphone version will be just as good for half the money
6 - Probably weighs 12 pounds
7- Agree that it's very Wolfgang-ish, bordering on copyright infringement/war at least. But with a better headstock. And an even more absurd price. It's even more Gibson and that Gibson.
5108100858_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

EVH® WOLFGANG® CUSTOM DELUXE USA
Model: 5108100858 Series: Wolfgang® USA Custom $5,333.32 *MSRP

i like it a lot, agreed price too high, but I feel that way about most Gibsons. Maybe a good Reverb purchase in 6 months or so...

Keep in mind, it's a limited run custom shop model, not a regular production model. Custom shop prices are always crazy high.

Meh. I'll gladly stick w/ my PRS's... even if I could find one of these on Reverb for half the price ;-)

$4000 for a guitar?! :eek::confused:

Is it made out of solid gold or something?
It's made by a corporate committee that can't seem to understand how it's not still 1957 in the world of guitars. They don't get why their overpriced logs aren't flying out of the stores anymore. So they talked to some hip young new generation guitar players (no one under 65, probably) and came up with this daring design.

EVH owes more to Gibson than people think.

DSM3OGBF1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx
And Kramer promptly sued over that headstock I'm sure. Hence we never really saw it in the wild, and further evidence that Gibson had their last original idea long, long ago. They are the guitar version of Hollywood trying to get something going with Spiderman again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and ....

Last edited:
And Kramer promptly sued over that headstock I'm sure. Hence we never saw it in the wild, and further evidence that Gibson had their last original idea long, long ago. They are the guitar version of Hollywood trying to get something going with Spiderman again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and ....

Two things are wrong with that. That's an Explorer headstock (1958?), and Gibson owns Kramer.

Back
Top Bottom