new line6 pod hd500 ? anyone hear about this

Hmm...I thought the demos on the Line 6 site sounded pretty good. It's not going to replace my Axe-FX but it will most likely replace my X3 that I have for a backup and jams.

I think the 11R folks at Digidesign/Avid should be concerned. I already thought the X3 was a worthy competitor to the 11R (better at many things in fact). So far the HD seems like a sweet upgrade. The M9/M13 already has much better sounding effects than the 11R. When you add improved amp modeling, more flexible routing, dual amps, and a nice pedalboard into the package it's pretty easy to see the 11R getting squeezed out.

I was quite a bit more excited about this product BEFORE the press release. I like the M13, and I had high hopes for this product line, but considering the limited processing power vs. the Axe-FX I don't think it's going to live up to what I was hoping for. I think the end result will end up being a lot like the M13: a cool concept that packs a lot of power in a small platform that is a marked step up from the rest of the L6 line, but that will ultimately fall quite a bit short of what I can do with the Axe-FX.

I was originally planning on picking up the HD, but now I don't think I will.

If you look at the list of newly modeled amps in that release, it's pretty apparent that they are keeping a close eye on the Axe-FX boards. I see a lot of the amps that people have been begging for in the Axe-FX on the list.

Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

D

For its price range i think it will be a great product..sure its never going to compete with the ax but not everyone can afford the ax and for those wanting something better than line 6 current range but cant afford an ax then its a marked improvement, and i wish them all the best..at the end of the day fellow guitarist are going to be using this and i hope they get the best tone possible for the budget they have!!

bmi said:
What means badass souding? Sounds great or not?
When talking about something being "badass" it will usually mean awesome or great...

When talking about someone being "badass" it will usually mean he or she is awesome or great...

When talking about someone being "a badass" it will usually mean he or she is tough guy or a tough girl...

MoJiggity said:
bmi said:

English euphemisms are pretty silly lots of times
But such fun!
You have about 5 times as many words in your dictionary as us Dutch. Words like mindboggling, flabbergasted and such.

Words that probably would not apply to the HD, though... I'm spoiled. But it would be nice to have something more portable to drag to rehearsals and for backup.

Those early sound demos aren't too badass and it sound like a POD and especially when it gets into the higher gain. Perhaps they modelled Six Sigma into this round of products.

In my opinion, Line 6 are making a mistake with their amp choices.
It seems likee they are so oriented around the mid/low gain amps, the just breaking up sound.

Speaking as a metal guy, I don't give a flying **** about those amps, I want crystal cleans and high gain brutality, which the axe can do.

I know its a fractal forum and all, but the HD sounds exactly like my pod XT Pro. That's my honest opinion.

It probably will be a decent product, but it doesn't sound like a huge improvement to me, especially in the modeling area, the effects sounded way better than in previous versions. I listened to the sounds on their website.

But compared to youtube clips of axe, there is still a noticeable difference, which is kinda funny ... :)

and for the record I don't own axe fx. :)

MoJiggity said:
bmi said:

English euphemisms are pretty silly lots of times

But they are English! :eek: Badass' is American slang and not at all the kind of thing an English'
person would say. To us that would suggest that you have a problem with you posterior region.
Oh how you have corrupted our glorious mother tongue. :roll:

Stroya said:
In my opinion, Line 6 are making a mistake with their amp choices.
It seems likee they are so oriented around the mid/low gain amps, the just breaking up sound.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Not exactly the same reasons as your's, but because the 'average Pod customer' probably only knows half of the amps. It looks like they're trying to be a bit more 'boutique' in their choices or almost leftfield if you will. Leave that to FAS I say ;)

bmi said:
I'm afraid to be the witness of the biggest lie since Orson Welles. ;)
Don't conclude nothing on Line 6 samples. Line 6 samples are always awful. I don't like these either, but they're already better sounding than samples of X3/XT.

I won't sell my Axe Fx of course, didn't expected that. But still waiting to see if the POD HD is good enough as an emergency backup/pedalboard/looper

http://line6.com/dt50/sounds.html......

I like it, I like the way it sounds I like the way it looks.....

I love my axe fx, and I love competition

but its a nice all in one package.....

Wouldn't a rack mountable version of the atomic reactor just be awesome, like a combo look?

anyways it seems "digital technology" in the dt50 is only used in the since that as the poweramp is at lower volumes "digital reinforcement" keeps it sounding saturated, but it has preamp and poweramp tubes. so its really a completely different product but I have to admit, I started out not even the slightest bit intrigued, like not even a little, and now I'm curious to see if this thing can throw a punch. I'll keep my axe fx, just a better overall solution and couldn't dream up better sounds. Plus I'm a miserably poor college student, but I'm intrigued... for whatever that's worth....

The new DT seems to have a feature I miss in the Axefx: better poweramp option. Althoug simple, they put pentode/triode option, class, and feedback (damp) option. We have already seen these feature in tube amps, and we (guitarist) have known their sonic signature. The next step will be swapping tube type.
I wish Cliff will gift us a poweramp type param, ie "6L6 pentode", instead of new amps.

Back
Top Bottom