New FM3 and I’m unhappy somehow...

whitewolfgang

...but not necessarily with the Fractal per se. It’s my Friedman ASC 10 that’s got me bummed I think. It’s SO damn dark and lower mid heavy with the FM3 that I want to put it on the auction block (the Friedman). I’m coming from a Helix LT background and really put in a ton of time and effort to get it to sound good to my ears but never thought it sounded decent right out of the box, either through headphones or the ASC-10. The Fractal Immediately sounds TREMENDOUS through headphones and my lower grade studio monitors but doesn’t translate well into the Friedman. So here’s my questions:
1. Will the global settings on the FM3 bring out the top end sparkle in the Friedman? If so, will I have to flip the settings back and forth to keep the same tone for my monitors and headphones?
2. I haven’t played a gig since doing a New Year’s guest shot with my son’s band two years ago- it’s all in home studio stuff for me 99% of the time now. Do I simply sell the Friedman and upgrade my studio monitors and live in that world now? I still have a couple of other small tube amps f non-modeling purposes.
Anyway, just frustrated by the prospect of retooling every patch just so it sounds good through a specific Powercab and would love to hear input from the Pros here. Thanks for helping a new guy out!

I had an ASC-10 for a short while. My experience with that thing is that it wanted to be cranked pretty loud before it started sounding really good. At lower volumes, that I would be comfortable playing in my apartment, it sounded pretty dark to me too. I have since gotten rid of it and play through studio monitors and headphones.

I am also on the quest to find something for playing outside the home with friends, and am in the process of trying out a 1x12 cab with an Orange Pedal Baby to see how that goes.

Could be the partially the room? it is not uncommon for people to do a bit of eq for each new venue anyway

just add an eq block near the end of your chain that gets turned off when using headphones, or goes to output 2 only and keep output one setup for your headphones

I'm a home player. I have an Atomic CLR Neo Mk2 and a pair of Adam A7x's. I find I use the Adams almost 100% of the time. Nothing wrong with the Neo, sounds great, but the A7xs also sound great, so most of the time I don't even think to turn on the CLR.

1. Will the global settings on the FM3 bring out the top end sparkle in the Friedman?

It's not impossible. In fact, I'd try that by setting OUT 2 to LINE LEVEL and COPY OUT 1.

Then you can use Out 1 for headphones with a fully independent global EQ on Out 2 to see if you can move it closer to what you like, with the ability to reference either one. Just be aware of the effects of Fletcher Munson curves and watch out for ear fatigue.

I replied to your post at the Gear Page but just to reiterate, try elevating the ASC10 off the floor. It’s a completely different sound experience. On the floor, the bass is ridiculous and I couldn’t eq it out. Elevated, it sounds wonderful.
+1. Unlike the ASM-12 that I have and love, the ASC's don't tilt up to blast the sound at you. I'd try acwild's suggestion, as well as what Matt also said above - try playing around with the OUT1/OUT2 EQ's. I bet that will help things come around.

I had the ASM-12 for a while, hated it compared to my CLR. It was too bassy/muddy and had a high level of background hiss which was annoying for late night playing.

cosmetically it looked awesome, but wasn’t ideal in terms of acoustics

I know some people like them because it sounds more like a guitar cabinet, in that it’s loud and bassy, but I Don’t want my frfr to have a character

I want it sonically transparent so the modeling shapes the sound

I had the ASM-12 for a while, hated it compared to my CLR. It was too bassy/muddy and had a high level of background hiss which was annoying for late night playing.

cosmetically it looked awesome, but wasn’t ideal in terms of acoustics

I know some people like them because it sounds more like a guitar cabinet, in that it’s loud and bassy, but I Don’t want my frfr to have a character

I want it sonically transparent so the modeling shapes the sound
Hey; at least it's $1k and weighs 93lbs!

• Haha
Reactions: ESW
Back
Top Bottom