New firmware 4.0.1 makes all my patches very high-end/shrill sounding and loud.

I don't remember haveing to cycle the power after up-dateing to 4.01??
I've now read this more than a few times. Is it possible there is a bad copy of 4.01 floating around or that the entire firmware did not upload to the axe correctly? I doubt it though...

I got no message to reboot but the Axe-FX II did reboot. And this was expected since the Firmware.txt file stated,

7. After the flash has been reprogrammed the unit should automatically reboot. Occasionally the unit may not reboot automatically in which case turn the unit off, wait several seconds and turn back on.

dang didn't i just read something where someone said from 4.01 and on it will ask you to manually reboot the device?

My Axe had a message to manually reboot when the update finished. I performed the update from the Axe-Edit. The Axe-Edit never showed the update to be complete. But the Axe showed the firmware had installed.

I also have extremely trebley presets after the update, some presets got whacked in a bad way. But I fixed them all. No need for wise guys to be insulting anybody for posting an observation. Some of you are way overboard on making obnoxious sarcastic comments. Get a life.

Lastly, while trying to load Smilefan's "Stone in Schon" patch, I get an excess cpu display on the axe fx that causes a horrible buzz. The only way to eliminate the excess cpu message is to reset the axe fx. I tried to bypass all devices in this patch, but even with all devices bypassed the excess cpu message remained.

Bypassing has no effect on CPU use, if a block is in the chain, it is consuming CPU. This is fundamental. And widely known. AND in the manual.

Hi all, I just updated my firmware to 4.0.1 and all of my patches sound very shrill/high-end.

My v3 presets also sounded like crispy transistor distortion, thin, etc. etc. (wierdly enough, this encouraged me since I knew there were 'big changes' afoot...lol.) until I initialized the amp, zero'ed it completely, etc. and was back to my happy place in a couple of minutes for every preset.

FWIW, I found the transition between v2 -> v3 was a more 'difficult' transition than v3 -> v4, in terms of just getting things back where I wanted. v4 has also caused me to drop pre amp-PEQ blocks I sometimes used to fill in midrange freqs in dirtier tones.

Last edited:
No need for wise guys to be insulting anybody for posting an observation. Some of you are way overboard on making obnoxious sarcastic comments. Get a life.
thanks for the tip, but i think many of the sarcastic comments were directed at the statement about being "forced to update," not about fixing his sound.

i think everyone here is on board to help people get the sounds they want and also figuring out if there was an update error or similar.

it just amazes me how different everyones' experience is with updating firmware. my presets didn't get shrill or trebly at any update point. some have gotten shrill from 2 to 3 only... some happened from 3 to 4 only... i don't understand why it isn't more consistent and have to think it's the way each person adjusts his/her axe-fx prior to firmware updates.

Last edited:
dang didn't i just read something where someone said from 4.01 and on it will ask you to manually reboot the device?

Yes, but please note that the firmware update process is not controlled by the new firmware being uploaded, but by the current firmware that you are running while updating. So you will only see the manual reboot request if you already have installed 4.01 or newer.

Yes, but please note that the firmware update process is not controlled by the new firmware being uploaded, but by the current firmware that you are running while updating. So you will only see the manual reboot request if you already have installed 4.01 or newer.
I had 4.00 and installed 4.01 and saw the message. So maybe it's from 4.00 and up. Makes sense.

I've now read this more than a few times. Is it possible there is a bad copy of 4.01 floating around or that the entire firmware did not upload to the axe correctly? I doubt it though...

no, it was something done before or after the firmware update. The firmware has a checksum. if it loads the is a VERY high probability it is good. if it loaded and was bad, it would bork the axefx.

In this case it was probably reloading the presets that fixed things.

My Axe had a message to manually reboot when the update finished. I performed the update from the Axe-Edit. The Axe-Edit never showed the update to be complete. But the Axe showed the firmware had installed.

I also have extremely trebley presets after the update, some presets got whacked in a bad way. But I fixed them all. No need for wise guys to be insulting anybody for posting an observation. Some of you are way overboard on making obnoxious sarcastic comments. Get a life.

Mine did the same, I used AxeEdit to update the firmware via USB on Windows 7 64 bit. The AxeFx II prompted me to cycle power. When I did, AxeEdit gave an Unknown Firmware error.

But 4.01 was shown in the AxeFx -> Utility -> Firmware page so all was good. And I didn't get any whack presets. But I did reload banks A, B and C as per the firmware notes.

Richard

If you disable the poweramp modeling, it should be A LOT less compressed. Did you mean gid modeling?

Bypassing effects do not lessen CPU usage. You need to remove unused effects or change them to a less cpu intensive algorithm. For example, change cabs to Loren's mono.

Bypassing has no effect on CPU use, if a block is in the chain, it is consuming CPU. This is fundamental. And widely known. AND in the manual.

Thanks for the advice. I uploaded 4.0.1 firmware again, and the new factory patches as well. I'm using the latest version 258 of axe-edit to make all of my patch changes and preview the patches. I took an old patch I had created from the previous firmware and selected the amp model I was using and clicked on "initialize" in axe edit to reset it back, and I tweaked it again starting from scratch. I found I had to increase the "depth" knob in order to change low string palm mutes from sounding thin and tinny to a thicker tone with more bass. I am also looking at some of the changes that Yek has done to his 4.01 patches to see what values were modified to get some ideas as well. I have turned grid modeling on and off in a few different 4.01 factory patches, but I don't hear that much of a difference. Maybe it's because I am playing at low volumes. So far, the sound seems to have improved and isn't as tinny and shrill as it was before.

Does anyone else have a problem with Smilefan's "Stone in Schon" patch causing an excess cpu usage error when loading it through axe-edit? I just wanted to see if this was happening to anyone else so I can rule out an issue with my hardware.

Thanks.

Regarding "thin" tone: just want to share this with you:

I've come across a few situations where I got a "thin" overall tone after editing with Axe-Edit.
I was able to solve this by resetting the system params (Utility menu). Alternatively reset the Global EQs.
Maybe it helps.

Edit: another issue may be Speaker Drive. At high values it doesn't sound good. Turn it down where applicable.

Last edited:
I only use the front panel for creating tones and only use axe edit to update firmware and backup/load patches. Maybe that's why I've never experienced any sudden tone problems? I mean, it is still in beta right? No disrespect to the amazing team working on the program, but beta means ready for testing not a final product. Could there be some bug?

Can we start a poll asking those who have had these crazy tone jumps if they use axe edit for creating tones?

I've got a feeling it's something to do with Axe-Edit. This seems to be the common denominator.

I had an issue with cab block not sure if it was caused by AxeEdit or not but might be worth a look. Basically the cab block was defaulting to cab size of 0 and mic distance of 0. I set them both back to default and all was good again. This only happened with some patches and seemed to be triggered by switching between the x and y configs on the cab block. Worth a look?

spence

Regarding "thin" tone: just want to share this with you:

I've come across a few situations where I got a "thin" overall tone after editing with Axe-Edit.
I was able to solve this by resetting the system params (Utility menu). Alternatively reset the Global EQs.
Maybe it helps.

I only use the front panel for creating tones and only use axe edit to update firmware and backup/load patches. Maybe that's why I've never experienced any sudden tone problems? I mean, it is still in beta right? No disrespect to the amazing team working on the program, but beta means ready for testing not a final product. Could there be some bug?

Can we start a poll asking those who have had these crazy tone jumps if they use axe edit for creating tones?

I've got a feeling it's something to do with Axe-Edit. This seems to be the common denominator.

I had an issue with cab block not sure if it was caused by AxeEdit or not but might be worth a look. Basically the cab block was defaulting to cab size of 0 and mic distance of 0. I set them both back to default and all was good again. This only happened with some patches and seemed to be triggered by switching between the x and y configs on the cab block. Worth a look?

spence

Thanks for all of the advice. I use axe edit about 99% of the time, so maybe this is the issue. I do notice that sometimes the axe fx sounds "thin" and not normal, and other times it sounds ok so maybe axe edit is causing this. I will experiment with creating some patches from scratch using the axe fx instead of axe edit, and see if this helps eliminate the thin sounding issue.

FWIW, I am running Windows 7 64 bit, and for each new version of axe edit I have installed it on top of the previous version without uninstalling the previous version.

If there's anything else I can check in axe edit that would be of help, please let me know.

Thanks.

FWIW, I am running Windows 7 64 bit, and for each new version of axe edit I have installed it on top of the previous version without uninstalling the previous version.

Same here Windows 7 64 bit.

I have been having strangeness with AxeEdit 255 and 258 too.

But to be fair, I used to use only the AxeFx for editing and just recently starting using AxeEdit because I upgraded to large led hd tv as a monitor. So although I have been patch editing a long time, only recent AxeEdit user.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom