New firmware 4.0.1 makes all my patches very high-end/shrill sounding and loud.

mcgyver

Inspired
Hi all, I just updated my firmware to 4.0.1 and all of my patches sound very shrill/high-end.
And they are all extremely loud now. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of older firmware to back it down?
Or can anyone enlighten me to why this happen?

Thanks
Jamie

NOTE: THIS VERSION WILL LIKELY CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. THERE HAVE BEEN NUMEROUS CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. AN AMP MODEL CAN BE RESET BY TEMPORARILY CHANGING THE AMP TYPE AND THEN CHANGING BACK TO THE DESIRED TYPE. THIS WILL LOAD THE MODEL WITH DEFAULT PARAMETERS.

NOTE: FACTORY BANKS HAVE BEEN REDONE TO REFLECT THE CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS. THE SYSEX FILES TO INSTALL THE BANKS ARE INCLUDED ALONG WITH THIS FIRMWARE.

Overhauled power amp modeling. Master Volume control is now usable over a larger range. Reduced harshness in many amp models. Most amps will sound more “open”. Adjusting the MV in existing presets is recommended for optimum results.

Added “Grid Modeling” parameter to Amp block. Turning this to OFF bypasses the grid modeling in the power amp which can reduce subjectively undesirable distortion.

Added “FAS 6160” model. This model is based on the PVH 6160 model but more open and less fizzy than the original amp. Also, a virtual choke has replaced the resistor found on the original’s power supply filter. This results in a bouncier feel.

Added Tape Echo algorithm to Delay and Multidelay blocks. This algorithm simulates a tape echo where modulation occurs due to tape speed variation. In the Delay block the algorithm is implemented as a two head monophonic tape “deck”. The Time/Tempo parameters set the distance between the record and first playback head. The Ratio parameter sets the relative distance between the record and second playback head as a percentage of the first playback head. The Multidelay block is implemented as a monophonic deck with four independent heads. See the updated manual for full details.

Fixed TEMPO R parameter affecting left time in Dual Delay.

Added Dry Delay Shift for Thru-Zero mode of Flanger. This allows moving the thru-zero point from the center (default) to the edge or anywhere in between.

Exposed Advanced Whammy Start and Stop parameters to modifier control.

Increased output level for Octave Distortion model in Drive block.

Added support for all MIDI Voice Messages when MIDI Adapter Mode is on. This allows using the MIDI ports for keyboards and other devices other than foot controllers.

Fixed Recall Effect not working in certain instances.

See the FW 4.x announcement thread .....

I can understand updating the underlying amp algorithms, but why mess/change the drive, MV levels in each amp for existing presets? Shouldn't (couldnt't?) those have stayed the same, while revising the algorithms. If the relationship between these knobs changed, it would really help knowing the formula to get those ratios back to where they were before. For example, raise drive 1.5 to get it back to 3.04 values.

Sorry to be so critical about this over multiple threads, but I don't think I ever bought a device that each firmware update plays a magic trick on the presets (now it's here, now it ain't). What's the point of wasting time creating your own presets when they are whacked (literally) every three months? I'm not a professional musician, but I would think that a pro wouldn't want their presets screwed up like that. And yes, I appreciate Cliff's work and genius involved in making these revisions. But that's irrelevant to the issue involved.

PS - I have typing on an IPad!

Guys touring do not update on the road, unless they only use two sounds.

It can be frustrating but no one forces you to update.

Reactions: jon
Well, we are kind of forced to update ,being on the cutting edge of a new product. The point I think Adinfinitum is trying to make.
And I 100% agree that if a firmware update is going to change your amp model sounds. Then there should be some clear guidelines to what has changed exactly. And a way to retain or keep your original sound and settings after the update.

Well, we are kind of forced to update ,being on the cutting edge of a new product. The point I think Adinfinitum is trying to make.
And I 100% agree that if a firmware update is going to change your amp model sounds. Then there should be some clear guidelines to what has changed exactly. And a way to retain or keep your original sound and settings after the update.

Nobody is forceing you to update - nobody.
Furthermore, IF you want to keep your original sound - don´t update.
The purpose of the updates are among others to improve the sound, which can´t be done without changing the sound.
RB

Well, we are kind of forced to update ,being on the cutting edge of a new product.

I have no idea what this means. Forced? Bull.

The reason to update is to change things. If you don't want it to change, don't update.

I don't think anyone could definitively say things like "in 4.01 turn master up 2db, bass down 1.5, mids 3," etc... It's going to be different or every amp, guitar, setup etc.

I might be shooting myself in the foot.. but...

With this update, the MV received a significant change. Consider this: With a tube amp that has a Master Volume, there will still be a "sweet spot," and for some/many amps, it is still when the amp is cranked up a bit. Not dimed, but still running hotter than I experienced with pre4.x.x. With 4.x.x, I can now treat the MV more.. "realistically." IMO. So, if I run my MV up around 1-2 o'clock now, it is not.. "causing a harshness that was there previously." That is a all-inclusive, ball-park statement that some/many may disagree with. It is my experience.

So! Because a tube amp is very interactive.. turn one knob, and the relationship between it all changes (such as.. tonestack range, etc).. I am not sure a definitive "MV @ 3.5 previously = 5.45 now" &guide* could even be put out there. Well, at least not reliably. IMO. I guess maybe.. compare it to sending your amp out to get some component values changed; your old "values" would no longer be relevant, and figuring out a formula of some sort to simulate those old settings would be difficult to highly improbable IMO.

For some, it will "suck." Look at the Digitech 2120. It is what it is, and no changes are forthcoming. You have a Constant, not a Variable; but, that is something you really do not have a choice in. You buy it, you should know that ahead of time. As Mike Brady might say, "Caveat Emptor." On the other hand, you have different fingers. And with the Axe-Fx II, you have a product that is still being actively.. enthusiastically!!!.. being developed. Ver3 firmware will work just fine. I have pieces of software that I will not update until I see what happens with more recent versions. Heck- Pro Tools is so borked with the latest version that I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon, even if it were free! Point is, Cliff/Fractal do a great job with warnings, and if a release says it will alter the sound, it is something to consider. It can be a lot of fun to ride the front of a wave, but it is also the spot that can pull back just enough to drop you face first into the sand.. and then pound you (nearly) to death as it rolls over you. It can be really difficult to NOT want to ride that wave!!! :D

"Life sucks doesn't it?"

Thanks for your intelligent insight on this thread!

Last edited:
Does anyone have a copy of 3.0.4 firmware they could share? Thanks to all who offered your suggestions and help. And to the few of you that had nothing except sarcastic stupid sh!t to say. Well, I guess I don't need to say anymore. You morons know who you are.

Did you check the global setting to make sure your power amp and cab settings were on.
Also the sag is above min values.

The gain changed but not as drastically as you seem to be experiencing. It sound like something else is going on.

Does anyone have a copy of 3.0.4 firmware they could share? Thanks to all who offered your suggestions and help. And to the few of you that had nothing except sarcastic stupid sh!t to say. Well, I guess I don't need to say anymore. You morons know who you are.

instead of being nasty just learn from the mistake. when a new firmware comes out read the release statement, if 90% of your patches use recto orange and the firmware statement says "RECTO ORANGE IS COMPLETELY REWORKED" don't update unless you have some time inbetween gigs/rehearsals to get yuor settings back up to speed

"Life sucks doesn't it?"

Thank for your intelligent insight on this thread!

Why? I'm a moron, remember?

Some of you are real helpful. NOT.

i try to help in many threads on this forum. but it gets frustrating when basically the same thread keeps popping up left and right, and many of them have the same answer from the same people.

i'm not sure why the OPs tones have become "very high-end/shrill sounding and loud." but that's not something i experienced when i updated. i still disagree that "we are kind of forced to update." and i think that there are "clear guidelines to what has changed exactly": the release notes.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom