New FC-12 Issues

OmegaZero

Inspired
Finally got my Axe-Fx III back from repair today so I got my first chance to plug in the FC-12. How bright is the main screen supposed to be compared to the mini ones? On mine, at default settings the mini screens are very bright (almost a bit washed out) but the main screen is quite dim. The main screen contrast was at 100% by default; if I turn it down it's blank by 77%. I've tried to get a picture but I can't get that really shows the difference. I assume this isn't normal, but I wanted to check with others before I contacted support.

Also, I'm getting an odd double preset load with Axe-Edit open. I thought the new architecture was supposed to make it alright to have both connected, no? If I change presets on the FC and Axe-Edit is connected the new preset loads... and then loads again a few seconds later. Is this normal?

Can you factory reset the FC-12? It's on option on the Axe-Fx -- last tab under the FC menu.

Edit: also make sure the FC is running firmware 1.03 -- it shows the version when you start it up.

I initially did the factory reset as instructed in the FC quick start guide. I also saw M@'s post about the FW and confirmed I am running FC v1.03. I updated the Axe to v3.0, Axe-Edit to the latest, and re-did the FC reset while troubleshooting but nothing has changed.

I am hoping to hear from other FC owners to confirm these are not known issues / normal expected things before I open a ticket and start dealing with return shipping. How bright is the main screen vs the mini screens normally? Am I the only one getting a double preset load with Axe-Edit open?

Finally got my Axe-Fx III back from repair today so I got my first chance to plug in the FC-12. How bright is the main screen supposed to be compared to the mini ones? On mine, at default settings the mini screens are very bright (almost a bit washed out) but the main screen is quite dim.
If the difference bothers you, mess with FC Global Brightness.

The main screen contrast was at 100% by default; if I turn it down it's blank by 77%.
That's how my FC-6 is, too.

Also, I'm getting an odd double preset load with Axe-Edit open. I thought the new architecture was supposed to make it alright to have both connected, no? If I change presets on the FC and Axe-Edit is connected the new preset loads... and then loads again a few seconds later. Is this normal?
I'm not sure what a "double preset load" is, but you're talking about the brief audio gap, you can pause communications on Axe-Edit to eliminate that.

Finally got my Axe-Fx III back from repair today so I got my first chance to plug in the FC-12. How bright is the main screen supposed to be compared to the mini ones? On mine, at default settings the mini screens are very bright (almost a bit washed out) but the main screen is quite dim. The main screen contrast was at 100% by default; if I turn it down it's blank by 77%. I've tried to get a picture but I can't get that really shows the difference. I assume this isn't normal, but I wanted to check with others before I contacted support.

You can adjust the contrast of the main LCD and the switch LCDs from the Axe-Fx III itself. Go to SETUP, FC Controllers, Remote page.

There is also an "FC Global Brightness" setting that you can play with - this adjusts the overall brightness of the rings and the switch LCDs.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what a "double preset load" is, but you're talking about the brief audio gap, you can pause communications on Axe-Edit to eliminate that.

When I change presets with both the FC and Axe-Edit connected it loads the preset twice with audio drops both times. For example, when I push a preset switch on the FC there is a drop while it changes presets pretty much immediately. Then, a second or two later, there is another drop when Axe-Edit gets the message and it changes. The same thing happens the other way around too - making the change in Axe-Edit and then the FC catching up. It's like it's loading the preset an extra time. I thought the new client/server architecture was supposed to fix this kind of thing. Hopefully it doesn't do this with mirrored FC controllers. That would be rough...

I had the same issue with mine. 1.03 firmware. My large screen was dull gray with dark gray text.
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too. How did you get it to show in a picture? I keep trying but you can't really tell in the pic.

Last edited:
I was initially concerned that turning the global brightness down to fix the washed-out mini screens would make the main screen too hard to read. Interesting discovery: the FC Global Brightness setting doesn't change the main screen. Not sure if that is by design, but it seems counterintuitive (i.e. not "global"). Anyway, turning it down to 12% makes the mini screens the same brightness as the main screen. That is to say, they are all now consistently hard to read in direct light. 12% seems awfully low, and the fact that it blanks out at 77% contrast also seems suspect. Though Rex said his does this as well...

When I change presets with both the FC and Axe-Edit connected it loads the preset twice with audio drops both times. For example, when I push a preset switch on the FC there is a drop while it changes presets pretty much immediately. Then, a second or two later, there is another drop when Axe-Edit gets the message and it changes. The same thing happens the other way around too - making the change in Axe-Edit and then the FC catching up. It's like it's loading the preset an extra time. I thought the new client/server architecture was supposed to fix this kind of thing. Hopefully it doesn't do this with mirrored FC controllers. That would be rough...
I'm not sure that's loading the preset twice, but there are two audible events. If you pause communications, it doesn't happen.

The things you are describing with your FC-12 are pretty much how mine performs. My global brightness does not affect the main screen, and yes, I get audio “hiccups” when changing presets with Axe Edit open. It will be interesting to see what you find out, as to if there is something wrong or not.

Go to the HOME screen
Press SETUP (E)
Press Enter (FC Controllers)
Press Page >> 4 times
Adjust the contrast for the Main Screen and mini screens
Adjust Global brightness to taste.

My values are 90 - 47 - 70 and I can read everything perfectly.

The main screen is a little dimmer than the mini strips but readability is perfect.

It seems that the usable range of these controls is a bit variable. On my FC, the Main LCD Contrast is usable from 100-87%, the Mini-Display Contrast from 57-31%. The sweet spot is at 90% and 44% respectively. As long as there's a good value in there, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Finally got my Axe-Fx III back from repair today so I got my first chance to plug in the FC-12. How bright is the main screen supposed to be compared to the mini ones? On mine, at default settings the mini screens are very bright (almost a bit washed out) but the main screen is quite dim. The main screen contrast was at 100% by default; if I turn it down it's blank by 77%.

What you describe is what mine was like also, except in addition to what you describe my main LCD was a dull gray with gray writing. It looked nothing like the one on the Fractal web site or videos people have been posting.

Last edited:
Go to the HOME screen
Press SETUP (E)
Press Enter (FC Controllers)
Press Page >> 4 times
Adjust the contrast for the Main Screen and mini screens
Adjust Global brightness to taste.

My values are 90 - 47 - 70 and I can read everything perfectly.

The main screen is a little dimmer than the mini strips but readability is perfect.
Seems like something is different here. I'm currently at 24% FC Global Brightness and the mini screens are still noticeably brighter than the main screen. I can read the minis OK as long as there's not a light over them. It just seems like the main screen is way too dim. As others have said, it doesn't look at all like the pictures or videos I've seen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom