New Dream Theater Album is Up For Streaming.

Ok I listened back at home on my Dynaudio BM5A's. Even this ridiculously compressed audio sounds very alive compared with the last album, which is great. As already mentioned by others, I think that they really did improve on the vocals, they are not nearly as literal as they had been in the last album -phew. But at the end of the day, unfortunately its just not enough for me.

Its great that these guys can still make a lot of people happy with their music, and further to that, its worthy of them to produce this album if this is the music that they enjoy and are proud of playing.

Here's something I was thinking about today: Most of DT's music, I have little hope of playing - they are seriously awesome musicians. But guess what? In my mind, I can conjure up tonnes of riffs, melodies and solos just like what Dream Theater play...try it at home guys.. its so easy to do... Why is that?!? And why can't I just as easily conjure up more mainstream, emotive, catchy songs in my mind? Well, I have formed my own opinions about that, positive and negative toward DT, but I will just say the positive - These guys are a mega-cohesive team.

Ok, now that this is out and in audio formats that sound better than the SC streaming link... I absolutely LOVE the opening riff to "The Looking Glass"! I really dig the whole song, but that opening riff... so inspired by Alex Lifeson, and I'm sure that's a major reason why I like it so much, but man... really diggin' it!

Ok I listened back at home on my Dynaudio BM5A's. Even this ridiculously compressed audio sounds very alive compared with the last album, which is great. As already mentioned by others, I think that they really did improve on the vocals, they are not nearly as literal as they had been in the last album -phew. But at the end of the day, unfortunately its just not enough for me.

Its great that these guys can still make a lot of people happy with their music, and further to that, its worthy of them to produce this album if this is the music that they enjoy and are proud of playing.

Here's something I was thinking about today: Most of DT's music, I have little hope of playing - they are seriously awesome musicians. But guess what? In my mind, I can conjure up tonnes of riffs, melodies and solos just like what Dream Theater play...try it at home guys.. its so easy to do... Why is that?!? And why can't I just as easily conjure up more mainstream, emotive, catchy songs in my mind? Well, I have formed my own opinions about that, positive and negative toward DT, but I will just say the positive - These guys are a mega-cohesive team.

To this day they are still a very influential band for me and my all time favourite band to be frank.
The second one that comes close are Haken. Their album The Mountain is a must listen.

Ok, now that this is out and in audio formats that sound better than the SC streaming link... I absolutely LOVE the opening riff to "The Looking Glass"! I really dig the whole song, but that opening riff... so inspired by Alex Lifeson, and I'm sure that's a major reason why I like it so much, but man... really diggin' it!

This album is definitely their finest since Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. I love that Alex Lifeson inspired riff as well. Still waiting for my pre-order to arrive.

Try as I might I never really could 'get' Dream Theater (and its not purely because they mis-spelled Theatre either). Their stuff should be right up my street musically. Bands that are into straying away from cliche and formulaic arrangements is the stuff I really enjoy. I really should love this band but I still can't. What the hell is wrong with me?? GAH!! "Nurse....the screens!"

Try as I might I never really could 'get' Dream Theater (and its not purely because they mis-spelled Theatre either). Their stuff should be right up my street musically. Bands that are into straying away from cliche and formulaic arrangements is the stuff I really enjoy. I really should love this band but I still can't. What the hell is wrong with me?? GAH!! "Nurse....the screens!"

Maybe its not your cup of tea man :)

Last edited:
Do :encouragement:

Their recent, 'difficult third album' Asymmetry is good in places, but kinda challenging. I'm trying to stick with it as there's some great stuff in there, whereas their first two albums (Themata and Sound Awake) are just properly excellent!

Btw, it's on Spotify. Haven't listened on YouTube, but on Spotify it sounds pretty good in my earplugs.

Never been much of a fan of music that is too complex to enjoy without submerging yourself, but this is engaging enough to keep listening. I'd say the songwriting did not take a back seat to the pyrotechnics on this one. I will listen more than once.

Given this a week or so to digest before I commented. As with a lot of DT albums, I was a bit cautious with it at first, but I'm really enjoying it now, all apart from the last track which aside from a few sections and riffs which are super cool, I just can't get into it. The structure of it seems a little random to me - and it's definitely not a jot on Octavarium as some were suggesting it might be.

The other tracks are great though, favourites are The Looking Glass, Enigma Machine and Behind the Veil.

Will need to get my hands on the 24/96 version, I mean... look at this!

Y4ElxFQ.jpg

Attachments

• Y4ElxFQ.jpg
    Y4ElxFQ.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom