New computer suggestions?

I like Macs for recording and video editing. The thing people don’t realize with the Macs is that the hardware cost is seemingly high vs a PC but the software cost is much lower than on a PC. I bought logic and final cut pro years ago and I get free version updates. I can also install it on as many Macs as I own and give to my kids via family sharing.

Making an appointment at the Genius bar is so you don’t have to wait in line and it works quite well. Appointments are pretty standard IMO. You wouldn’t take your car in to be serviced without an appointment.

Apple store is a pain in the ass, pisses me off almost every time I go there. But 5 minutes on Windows 10 is enough to remove any notion I have of leaving Apple.

I am feeling this now. My usually trusty Surface Pro has decided the MIDI devices I need to program over USB aren't going to be allowed to coexist with keyboard drivers. This PC's days are increasingly shorter if this seeming driver conflict can't be fixed. My even older iMac does everything MIDI/USB flawlessly, so I've started window shopping Mac Books. Music-oriented stuff just seems more reliable on Mac. I'd far rather be practicing than fighting IT headaches.

Your script is missing a key piece at the end: "format c:"

Heh many, many years ago I decided to blow away my Linux partition/disk and start fresh with a clean install of Linux and performed:

rm -rf *

...at the system root, completely forgetting that I had my Windows partition mounted in Linux, so, yea essentially I did a "format c:" on the Windows side of things...doh...!!!

Heh many, many years ago I decided to blow away my Linux partition/disk and start fresh with a clean install of Linux and performed:

rm -rf *

...at the system root, completely forgetting that I had my Windows partition mounted in Linux, so, yea essentially I did a "format c:" on the Windows side of things...doh...!!!
Only sort of... A format is lower level than just removing files.

Also, to be complete, you want:

rm -rf /

The * is a shell glob that won't match files or directories whose name starts with "." And it is also relative to your current working directory.

/nerd hat off

Has any Mac user spent the same amount of $ on a good quality PC as they have on a MacBook Pro? I hear people bash PC's all the time but they usually bought a cheap piece of junk laptop on sale for less than $600 but then say their MacBook Pro is so much better but spent 4x the amount.

Yea, Apples and oranges here for sure. IME a large part of why PC's get a bad rap is because people buy cheap PC hardware made by dodgy vendors with horrible drivers (that never get updated, etc.) and stuffed full of objectionable bloatware,etc. Every PC I've ever owned has run very stable and fast with Windows.

My organization uses thousands of Apple desktops, laptops, and tablets. I've worked with Apple devices for decades (was an Apple authorized tech for years), and I can state with certainty that they are not 'operationally superior' vs the PC/Windows platform as is commonly believed, especially in an enterprise environment. It's always a happy day at work when Apple pushes an incremental OS update and all devices stop printing to 95% of our printers; that's happened far too many times for me to count. I won't even get into their years long, numerous wifi issues.

While I think it's great that people have a choice and can use whatever platform they like, it's just not true Apple hardware/OS is 'a Holy Grail' platform of stability and reliability. Good PC hardware is very stable and reliable. Run Linux on PC hardware and that is a "Holy Grail" platform...:cool:

Last edited:
Only sort of... A format is lower level than just removing files.

Also, to be complete, you want:

rm -rf /

The * is a shell glob that won't match files or directories whose name starts with "." And it is also relative to your current working directory.

/nerd hat off

That's likely the command I used...I just can't remember exactly it's been so long since I've used it...and yea I realize a format is much lower level but at the end of the day, I had a system that wouldn't boot into Linux or Windows...the results were just like a 'format c:'...arg!

I built a beast of a Windows machine for my wife this past weekend. ~$2k buys you an absolutely astounding amount of power if you're willing to piece it together yourself. If I could put macOS on a machine like that I'd be very, very happy.
You really can get pretty beastly for less, but yes, right on the money............my latest PC I put together is right at $2K. the 32gb of ram ate a lot of it. SSD OS drive, 2 other internal HD's . I7, etc, etc. The only thing I didn't go crazy on was the graphics card. I got a mid range, around $200.

I have not bought a PC in 20 years, well except for laptops. My Asus i7 killer laptop is 6 yrs old and runnin hot and heavy

I have not had the Apple issues above,,,but they do make the easiest audio computer...if you want try www.mac4u.com
Thye bui;d custom Macs and have a warranty

Sorry, not true at all. like I( said......Here we go again....it's a preference and the BS cult following is a huge turn-off for me. I started with Macs but switched to windows and never looked back. I switched because I wanted to become a certified tech. Back then 90's -2k the meat (as in work) was in the PC world and still is. By that I mean the disproportionate percentage of PCs vs Macs in the world. Which still holds true today. Apple is all about phones and ipads.

I think Macs are good computers. No arguments there at all. Great computers..........................I just get so tired of the my dad can beat up your dad mentality. I think I actually used that same line in one of these threads many years ago...

You really can get pretty beastly for less, but yes, right on the money............my latest PC I put together is right at $2K. the 32gb of ram ate a lot of it. SSD OS drive, 2 other internal HD's . I7, etc, etc. The only thing I didn't go crazy on was the graphics card. I got a mid range, around $200.
She's a gamer so there's a pretty bad ass graphics card in there. That alone was 1/3 of the price of the machine.

dilbert-unix.png

Sorry, not true at all. like I( said......Here we go again....it's a preference and the BS cult following is a huge turn-off for me. I started with Macs but switched to windows and never looked back. I switched because I wanted to become a certified tech. Back then 90's -2k the meat (as in work) was in the PC world and still is. By that I mean the disproportionate percentage of PCs vs Macs in the world. Which still holds true today. Apple is all about phones and ipads.

I think Macs are good computers. No arguments there at all. Great computers..........................I just get so tired of the my dad can beat up your dad mentality. I think I actually used that same line in one of these threads many years ago...
Well....like I said...Audio and recording computers. Virtually every modern studio in the US and abroad houses Macs for there reliability...this is not a server or network conversation. As a recording artist I would not be with out a Mac. Calling avid at 2am when you are recording a project for an artist makes the call at least 1/10 in length...btw this isn't y2k...this is the music industry.

She's a gamer so there's a pretty bad ass graphics card in there. That alone was 1/3 of the price of the machine.

Gamer here too, and my ASUS/NVidia 1070 was also ~1/3 of the price of my current system. I got a certain 1070 card that had performance within ~10% of a standard 1080 card that costs $300 more. Since NVidia constantly tweaks the drivers to extract more performance over time it'll only get better....was a relatively economical card for it's performance.

I also do a fair bit of 3D rendering and photographic/imaging work and wanted a modern, high end card to accelerate all of that....and for gaming I am blown away how blazingly fast these cards are....just amazing performance. It runs the new Vulkan graphics API flawlessly (the next gen API)....couldn't be happier.

Well....like I said...Audio and recording computers. Virtually every modern studio in the US and abroad houses Macs for there reliability...this is not a server or network conversation. As a recording artist I would not be with out a Mac. Calling avid at 2am when you are recording a project for an artist makes the call at least 1/10 in length...btw this isn't y2k...this is the music industry.

Tell me, WHY do most studios have Pro Tools? Because it was there first...Period...The BS Hype followed thru and would you expect all the studios to trash Pro tools and Macs and go in another direction? Of course not. It's not about reliability, it's about what I said in the beginning. But you go on dreaming how macs are the best at this and that. That's your right. But it doesn't make it right. This stupid discussion has gone on for decades and I am personally sick of people trying to push the narrative about the all mighty mac. Not sick opf you, mind you. Just the BS............. :)

You see, the difference between you and me is I do not say windows is better. I am just saying Macs are NOT better and NOT worse either. Jeeezzzz

Last edited:

Yeah, hat is pretty much the biggest killer these days. I have a lowly Nvidea Geforce 650 ti Boost 2GB. I am not an avid gamer but I am a Lara Croft freak. from game one to Present. I play the present games with no issues at all. I think the 32gb of ram really helps. But I know it's not a gamers card. Well it used to be :) Actually they do use Rise of the tomb Raider and Tomb Raider (Last 2) in many benchmarks these days. One day I will have one of those Big $$$ cards cause I want one!

Don't post ever really, but follow the forum pretty frequently. Funny enough this exact topic has been on my mind recently. I currently use a MacBook Pro 15 as my main computer. I have a degree in Audio Production and primarily use Pro Tools (what I learned on and am most comfortable with). For the most part I am very happy with the experience, but my current machine is a 2012 i7 that I have upgraded with a couple of SSD's and RAM obviously, but it simply doesn't have the juice for some of the sessions I'm working on, not to mention it's getting a little old now.

My day gig is working in the datacom industry so most of my work applications are Windows. I am really tempted to buy one of the new Dell XPS' right now and just switch completely. That is what I would recommend to anyone who is looking at a new portable machine. It just baffles me that Apple can call their current models "Pro" when the PC landscape is just killing them as far as hardware goes. It seriously isn't even a fair fight in the hardware department at this point. I'm just having a really difficult time convincing myself to let go of MacOS.

I would happily pay a premium to be able to run a full functioning version of MacOS on a killer PC without having to hack or create virtual machines. Really wish Apple would consider opening up their OS on other hardware for the Pro consumers.

Tell me, WHY do most studios have Pro Tools? Because it was there first...Period...The BS Hype followed thru and would you expect all the studios to trash Pro tools and Macs and go in another direction? Of course not. It's not about reliability, it's about what I said in the beginning. But you go on dreaming how macs are the best at this and that. That's your right. But it doesn't make it right. This stupid discussion has gone on for decades and I am personally sick of people trying to push the narrative about the all mighty mac. Not sick opf you, mind you. Just the BS............. :)

You see, the difference between you and me is I do not say windows is better. I am just saying Macs are NOT better and NOT worse either. Jeeezzzz
Hmmm.,,I don't ever remember saying windows was worse or macs are best...what I did say was it is a good experience using apple for recording. If I was software developer not a professional musician then I might think otherwise. Again all of the studios that have protools and macs isn't just marketing. If they didn't work well they would be replaced with a better architecture. Remember these are businesses too. Avid provides 24/7 support designed for people who record professionally...thats all. Most studio from offices use windows machines for business activities .. The correct tool for the the job thats my reason for using a mac for music...thats all. If I was building a server based set up for a bank,,,maybe it would be windows or unix...IDK.

Every time I see a thread with a subject of computer suggestions or mac vs pc, makes me cringe but at the same time I read every word. This time I'll add!
Built a new machine last year cost around $1300, heart of the machine is two SSD's, one spinner, Ryzen 1700 (8 core) 16 gigs of ram, Asus board. Machine chews through anything that's thrown at it. And yes! it runs Windows 10, before that running Vista for years. Why ?? Because it worked just fine. (I installed it after service pack 2). Also run Windows 10 on a laptop, like it.
Did have a problem on the machine a few weeks ago that was built last year, long story short correct profile. Took a half hour out of my day to correct. didn't have to make a appointment with a "Genius" (Ha ha yeah right) Don't get me wrong Mac has great warranties, and it is a beautiful product. But that title of "Genius" just comes off as condescending (condescending to the general public). Maybe I'm being sensitive ???
I thing what gets everybody crazy in the long run there are two types of Mac people (IMO) there are Mac "Users" and there are Mac "Losers".
The losers are the most vocal and make PC users very defensive at times, but certain PC users also get stupid.
At the end of the day both platforms get the job done.

John

Back
Top Bottom