New computer suggestions?

I just want to see how long I can actually use it! I have 3 iMac's in total two are from 07 and one is a 2012 machine.
My wife's 2012 MBPro is limping along. I've done a battery and trackpad replacement on it. And swapped out the DVD drive for an SSD+Spinny Disk combination. If it makes it through the end of the year I'll be amazed. Once it dies, my iMac is the last Mac in the house. Everyone else here uses Windows because they like to PC game.

Speaking of things ruining your computer, on my last PC I installed iTunes and it was never the same. That is some scary software.

I had to install it once so I could transfer mp3's to a simple iPod. Never again will I infect another computer of mine with that piece of malware that people dare to call software. Worst media player EVER!

My wife's 2012 MBPro is limping along. I've done a battery and trackpad replacement on it. And swapped out the DVD drive for an SSD+Spinny Disk combination. If it makes it through the end of the year I'll be amazed. Once it dies, my iMac is the last Mac in the house. Everyone else here uses Windows because they like to PC game.

I will probably keep going with Mac, no gaming here I don't have the time! I do like how things are dialed in for the user with their OS..

I need to get a new computer soon. I have an old windows 7 computer with 4GB of ram running Ableton 9 and it's pretty slow. When I open a big project it has to "warm up" for several minutes trying to load all of the audio files. If I try to play the song before it's ready the audio will cut in and out. Once it's going though everything runs fine.

I have a version of Ableton 10 suite ready to install, but don't want to waste a seat on this old computer. I have never been an apple user and just having to use my wife's macbook pro for a few minutes frustrates the hell out of me since I have to re-learn how to do everything. I was planning on building a new PC but am afraid of Windows 10 and the auto updates ruining everything. Maybe I should build one and put Windows 7 on it. I'll probably wait paralyzed by indecision until my current computer dies.

I need to get a new computer soon. I have an old windows 7 computer with 4GB I'll probably wait paralyzed by indecision until my current computer dies.

At the very least maybe upgrade your ram the current machine, cheap enough these days give you a little extra out of your current machine.

4 gig's is pretty low, Windows 7 is minimal 1 gig for 32 bit and 2 for 64 bit then you put Ableton into the mix which I believe is 4 gigs, your page file must go crazy.

After my experience at the Apple store yesterday I will never recommend an Apple product.

It’s about 45 minute drive. I walk in with my broken MacBook and ask to have the unit sent out for repair. “Do you have an appointment?” What??? “You need to make an appointment. The next available time is in four hours”.

I ask to speak to a manager. Same story, need to make an appointment. I explain to him that the backlight has failed and that I’m an engineer and confident that it’s not something configured incorrectly. Won’t budge. After five minutes of arguing with I told him that in the time he spent arguing with me he could’ve filled out a repair order. He didn’t care. Then I told him that I would never buy another Apple product and I won’t. Fuck Apple and their arrogant hipster bullshit attitude.

I built a beast of a Windows machine for my wife this past weekend. ~$2k buys you an absolutely astounding amount of power if you're willing to piece it together yourself. If I could put macOS on a machine like that I'd be very, very happy.

After my experience at the Apple store yesterday I will never recommend an Apple product.

It’s about 45 minute drive. I walk in with my broken MacBook and ask to have the unit sent out for repair. “Do you have an appointment?” What??? “You need to make an appointment. The next available time is in four hours”.

I ask to speak to a manager. Same story, need to make an appointment. I explain to him that the backlight has failed and that I’m an engineer and confident that it’s not something configured incorrectly. Won’t budge. After five minutes of arguing with I told him that in the time he spent arguing with me he could’ve filled out a repair order. He didn’t care. Then I told him that I would never buy another Apple product and I won’t. Fuck Apple and their arrogant hipster bullshit attitude.

Apple store is a pain in the ass, pisses me off almost every time I go there. But 5 minutes on Windows 10 is enough to remove any notion I have of leaving Apple.
That's the conundrum I face as well. I just can't get along with Windows. :/

I built a beast of a Windows machine for my wife this past weekend. ~$2k buys you an absolutely astounding amount of power if you're willing to piece it together yourself.

My current PC build is just over a year old and is an absolute monster. I have a custom build and spec'ed the parts (ASUS motherboard, Intel chipsets, ASUS 1070 video card, ,etc) with a local builder and it's truly is a beast.

I was planning on building a new PC but am afraid of Windows 10 and the auto updates ruining everything. Maybe I should build one and put Windows 7 on it. I'll probably wait paralyzed by indecision until my current computer dies.

I have absolutely no problems with that system running Windows 10. I run many things that will tax a system big time such as Photoshop, Neat Image (photograph noise reduction), RAW image converters, tons of Photoshop plugins, panoramic stitching software, HDR compositing software, Blender 3D (I make awesome band logos with it lol), Visual C (I fiddle with audio visualization/OpenGL a fair bit), video editing, and of course large Reaper sessions full of processing, plug-ins, etc...it eats all of that stuff for breakfast...

My PC is scary fast and stable; I've not crashed it and I do tax the system frequently. Buy good PC hardware with components that have reputable vendor/driver support and your off and running. Aside from the Windows 10 updates that are hard to control, I've no complaints as far as stability or speed with it on my system.

Oh yea, Doom 2016 with all the graphics options cranked to "Ultra" with a 16:9 monitor doesn't even make it sweat....buttery smooth, consistent framerate and does it look amazing...:cool:

Last edited:
...arrogant hipster bullshit attitude.

I went to an Apple "Geek-Week" 'retreat' once. Work sent me. One of the attendees had the colored Apple logo shaved on her head :eek:, and the attendees were huge Apple freaks. I was out of my 'element' to say the least lol.

An Apple engineer from Texas then started spewing information about the PC platform that simply wasn't true. I called him on it and presented the facts. The entire room of 'the cult' all looked at me with a look that said 'how dare you'. Especially Apple-logo-head...I can still remember her glare. The whole thing was weird.

I conceded the point so things wouldn't turn into a Steven King novel, or an X-Files story, and retreated into my Apple provided complimentary bagels and snacks. They did have good snacks and food though. I learned my lesson lol. They really have some 'invested' fans....

Last edited:
Here we go..........PC's are cheaper. easier to upgrade and your choice of parts is not limited. That said, sure macs are nice. I was a Mac guy for a while until I got tired of all the proprietary bs.
One is NOT better than the other, different, yes.

With ALL laptops your upgrade options are limited no matter which way you go.
I do admit I still am on Win 8.1x64, both desktop and laptop.

Many years in the IT biz and I have seen the word wars about this is better than that. Had a few hear years ago. Happens everywhere. BS though. Once just costs more.
Just buy what you buy for the right reasons. Not because it sounds cool to have a Mac. Not because it sounds cheaper to have a Win machine. Do your homework.
I run projects on my laptop with 100+ tracks and have no issues. Once again. windows 8.1x64. Win 7x64 is OK also.

OK I am ready to be flamed-heat suit is on...............

I went to an Apple "Geek-Week" 'retreat' once. Work sent me. One of the attendees had the colored Apple logo shaved on her head :eek:, and the attendees were huge Apple freaks. I was out of my 'element' to say the least lol.

An Apple engineer from Texas then started spewing information about the PC platform that simply wasn't true. I called him on it and presented the facts. The entire room of 'the cult' all looked at me with a look that said 'how dare you'. Especially Apple-logo-head...I can still remember her glare. The whole thing was weird.

I conceded the point so things wouldn't turn into a Steven King novel, or an X-Files story, and retreated into my Apple provided complimentary bagels and snacks. They did have good snacks and food though. I learned my lesson lol. They really have some 'invested' fans....

As usual its not so much the product that I hate, it's the fan club that rubs me wrong big time. I have a good friend and there's two things I know I should never talk to him about, politics and Apple. Biggest Apple fanboy that I know. He did mix an EP of my previous band though in his home studio on his Apple systems, so I've learned to bite my tongue. Oddly enough, even though Logic seems to be the DAW of choice for Apple users, he uses Cubase.

PS Sonar Platinum is now FREE. Yes FREE. Leaps and bounds ahead of many daws.

Yeah it's called Cakewalk by Bandlab now. It's got the same features as Sonar Platinum, but none of the third party plugins like Addictive Drums 2 are included. It's also 64 bit only. 32 bit versions of Windows won't run it. Glad somebody snatched it up from Gibson's trashcan. Would have been a shame for it to just die off.

That's an unfortunate and frustrating experience Cliff. By no means am I an Apple fanboy and honestly, I use my Imac and iphone for very little and by no means explore all the features - but what I do use it for, it works. I have to say my experiences with the Apple store were much different and they actually went out of their way to fix an issue I had with my phone ( which I think was entirely my fault). And I didn't have an appointment. They looked at it for about 2 min, and promptly got a new phone out of the back, set it up for me and I was on my way...
Like any kind of huge retail company, peoples experiences will vary throughout each store.

Has any Mac user spent the same amount of $ on a good quality PC as they have on a MacBook Pro? I hear people bash PC's all the time but they usually bought a cheap piece of junk laptop on sale for less than $600 but then say their MacBook Pro is so much better but spent 4x the amount. Will a Fender Squire Strat be as a good as an American Fender Strat? I rarely hear people say they spent over $2000 on a PC that couldn't compete with a MacBook Pro. Back in the day Macs had SCSI hard drives and the best hardware but people still tried to compare cheap laptop PC's to them.

My PC is from 2013 running Windows 10 and the only issue I had was when I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I did a clean install of Windows 10 and haven't had an issue since. I don't recommend disabling windows update permanently but I have a batch file on my desktop for Disabling and Enabling Windows Updates. I make sure to enable and install updates once a week and then disable Windows Update.

There are 3 things you MUST do with Windows 10 for it to run Smoothly:
1. Lower UAC (User Account Control) all the way and reboot
2. Open CMD (Command Prompt) and run the command and then reboot: POWERCFG /H OFF
3. When installing a program, you MUST ALWAYS right click on the install file and select Run as administrator
* NOTE: You may have to follow steps 1 and 2 again after Windows 10 version upgrades

Here's my Batch file code. Just copy the text into a text document (Not MS Word!) and save and name it WinUpdate.cmd and you must right click on the file and select Run as administrator or else it won't work. If you don't know how to do this, donate your computer to a good cause and go back to just playing guitar :rolleyes:

Code:
@ECHO OFF
CLS
NET FILE 1>NUL 2>NUL
IF '%ERRORLEVEL%' == '0' ( GOTO MENU ) ELSE ( GOTO NotAdmin )

:NotAdmin
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO You didn't right click on this file and select Run as administrator
ECHO.
ECHO Press any key to exit and remember to run this file as administrator
ECHO.
PAUSE >NUL 2>&1
EXIT

:MENU
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO *******************************************************************************
ECHO.
ECHO This program will Disable or Enable Windows Update
ECHO.
ECHO Type 1 to Disable Windows Update
ECHO Type 2 to Enable Windows Update
ECHO Type Exit to Exit and not make any changes
ECHO.
ECHO *******************************************************************************
ECHO.

SETLOCAL DisableDelayedExpansion
SETLOCAL EnableDelayedExpansion
SET _MENU=
SET /P "_MENU=Type Number, then hit Enter: "

IF /I !_MENU!==1 GOTO WU_DISABLE
IF /I !_MENU!==2 GOTO WU_ENABLE
IF /I !_MENU!==EXIT EXIT

ECHO.
ECHO "!_MENU!" is not a valid selection, Please try again.
ECHO.
TIMEOUT /T 2 >NUL 2>&1
CALL :MENU

:WU_DISABLE
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO Disabling Windows Update Service
ECHO.
SC CONFIG wuauserv start= disabled
ECHO.
ECHO Stopping Windows Update Services
ECHO.
NET STOP wuauserv /Y
ECHO.
ECHO Press any key to exit
ECHO.
PAUSE >NUL 2>&1
EXIT

:WU_ENABLE
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO Setting Windows Update Service startup type back to default
ECHO.
SC CONFIG wuauserv start= delayed-auto
ECHO.
ECHO Starting Windows Update Service
ECHO.
NET START wuauserv /Y
ECHO.
ECHO Press any key to exit
ECHO.
PAUSE >NUL 2>&1
EXIT

Has any Mac user spent the same amount of $ on a good quality PC as they have on a MacBook Pro? I hear people bash PC's all the time but they usually bought a cheap piece of junk laptop on sale for less than $600 but then say their MacBook Pro is so much better but spent 4x the amount. Will a Fender Squire Strat be as a good as an American Fender Strat? I rarely hear people say they spent over $2000 on a PC that couldn't compete with a MacBook Pro. Back in the day Macs had SCSI hard drives and the best hardware but people still tried to compare cheap laptop PC's to them.

My PC is from 2013 running Windows 10 and the only issue I had was when I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I did a clean install of Windows 10 and haven't had an issue since. I don't recommend disabling windows update permanently but I have a batch file on my desktop for Disabling and Enabling Windows Updates. I make sure to enable and install updates once a week and then disable Windows Update.

There are 3 things you MUST do with Windows 10 for it to run Smoothly:
1. Lower UAC (User Account Control) all the way and reboot
2. Open CMD (Command Prompt) and run the command and then reboot: POWERCFG /H OFF
3. When installing a program, you MUST ALWAYS right click on the install file and select Run as administrator
* NOTE: You may have to follow steps 1 and 2 again after Windows 10 version upgrades

Here's my Batch file code. Just copy the text into a text document (Not MS Word!) and save and name it WinUpdate.cmd and you must right click on the file and select Run as administrator or else it won't work. If you don't know how to do this, donate your computer to a good cause and go back to just playing guitar :rolleyes:

Code:
@ECHO OFF
CLS
NET FILE 1>NUL 2>NUL
IF '%ERRORLEVEL%' == '0' ( GOTO MENU ) ELSE ( GOTO NotAdmin )

:NotAdmin
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO You didn't right click on this file and select Run as administrator
ECHO.
ECHO Press any key to exit and remember to run this file as administrator
ECHO.
PAUSE >NUL 2>&1
EXIT

:MENU
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO This program will Disable or Enable Windows Update
ECHO.
ECHO Type 1 to Disable Windows Update
ECHO Type 2 to Enable Windows Update
ECHO Type Exit to Exit and not make any changes
ECHO.
ECHO.

SETLOCAL DisableDelayedExpansion
SETLOCAL EnableDelayedExpansion
SET _MENU=
SET /P "_MENU=Type Number, then hit Enter: "

IF /I !_MENU!==1 GOTO WU_DISABLE
IF /I !_MENU!==2 GOTO WU_ENABLE
IF /I !_MENU!==EXIT EXIT

ECHO.
ECHO "!_MENU!" is not a valid selection, Please try again.
ECHO.
TIMEOUT /T 2 >NUL 2>&1
CALL :MENU

:WU_DISABLE
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO Disabling Windows Update Service
ECHO.
SC CONFIG wuauserv start= disabled
ECHO.
ECHO Stopping Windows Update Services
ECHO.