New AxeFx II Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you kidding me? Of course it was for "tactical reasons."

That's business. If Cliff said back in Sept "oh yes, we're working on the next generation of the Axe right now. It's going to be super amazingly awesome, better than the Ultra and Standard, so you should definitely hold off until sometime mid next year." That way the company would have made no money after September and the company would have run dry and folded.

It's not "disturbing," the Ultra is an incredible product and it sounds better than any other modeler that's shipping today. There's always something new coming down the road. Grow a pair.

Are you kidding me? Of course it was for "tactical reasons."

That's business. If Cliff said back in Sept "oh yes, we're working on the next generation of the Axe right now. It's going to be super amazingly awesome, better than the Ultra and Standard, so you should definitely hold off until sometime mid next year." That way the company would have made no money after September and the company would have run dry and folded.

It's not "disturbing," the Ultra is an incredible product and it sounds better than any other modeler that's shipping today. There's always something new coming down the road. Grow a pair.

+1

BTW, it no secret that Cliff has been developing algorithms for the future for sometime. He has spoke about new cab modeling processes, amp modeling improvements, etc. He probably has things on the board (development) that won't fit on the current platform.

It really seems like he got an epiphany regarding dual processors. I remember the dual processor thread a long while back. I think I started it. It sounds like he finally over came the issue he stated there.

I think Cliff out grew the current hardware before we did and its left some confused because they don't see this. even me a little at first but this is only going to make the future brighter for everyone.

Around that same time Cliff mentioned he was working with the new SHARC DSPs, similar to the ones in the Pod HDs. He listed tech detail why they were only about half as powerful as the Ultra's TigerSHARC, though much, much cheaper.

It's quite possible that back then, he was considering doing Axe-Lite with SHARCs and that was the 'other projects' he referred to. Much of what is now the Axe-II design could have began with the Lite version, maybe he changed his mind and decided (within the last 6 months) to keep to the high-end market and spare no expense.

I was thinking...maybe he originally tried using 2 of the SHARC DSP's in parallel like he ultimately did with the Axe-Fx II. Then the breakthrough when he figured out how to use the TigerSHARC's to do the same thing and instead of making an INFERIOR product, he could make a SUPERIOR one. This is just speculation, though.

Anyone try asking him how long it took to develop the Axe-Fx II mainboard? The post where he mentioned no new version in the works was 8 months ago. It's already been established he'd been working on new algorithms. The hardware couldn't have taken too long considering Cliff's experience with high end electronics...

Like this is a surprise? Java weren't we all talking about the 'next generation' a couple of years ago? Or three? Let me translate: Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

There won't be an Ultra II. The AxeFX II is the Ultra II. I could see a lower cost unit some time in the future but that would mean an entirely new business model, probably with outsourced fabrication and maybe a partner. I get the feeling however that Cliff's interest is in making things better rather than cheaper.

There won't be a Ultra II. The AxeFX II is the Ultra II. I could see a lower cost unit some time in the future but that would mean an entirely new business model, probably with outsourced fabrication and maybe a partner. I get the feeling however that Cliff's interest is in making things better rather than cheaper.

There's no way you actually know that. Just speculation.

There won't be an Ultra II. The AxeFX II is the Ultra II. I could see a lower cost unit some time in the future but that would mean an entirely new business model, probably with outsourced fabrication and maybe a partner. I get the feeling however that Cliff's interest is in making things better rather than cheaper.

Perfect it, license it, retire.

The MFC having an RJ45 jack in it doesn't necessarily mean that Axe-FX II was already in development. It only means that thought was given to having a connector for future use. The Axe II could have still just been in the idea stage at that point. Since we don't know how the development cycle went, it all speculation on our parts.

It's natural for designers to always be thinking about the next iteration of their products. It's part of the creative mind. And, in the technology world, the saying is: Innovate or Die.

Revision 1.0 of the Axe-Fx II didn't have the RJ-45. It had two pedal jacks. Then one day I was staring at the MFC and thought "Ya know, I could remove a pedal jack and fit an RJ-45 and communicate with the MFC over that". It was serendipity, not secrecy.

And the beta Users dumped their's.
I'm getting sick of this. You need to name the "beta users" and show us that they sold theirs. I can tell you specifically that your allegation is false, but I'm giving you the opportunity - one more time - to back up your accusation. If you make it again without providing said support, you will receive an infraction.

Quote Originally Posted by hoss

"And the beta Users dumped their's. What a trainwreck (not the amps)."

And which beta users would those be?

Please let me get this straight. You're saying you know of *no* owners who had advance notice of the AXE II release and sold their old units, correct?

Look at the history of completed listings on eBay and tell me some people weren't tipped off. Please!

The sell off started on April 27, two days prior to the start of the "countdown" on April 29, with units selling as high as $2650 for an ULTRA on April 27. Look if you don't believe me. Do you think that buyer is pissed now?

It's not a big deal really, but to deny that some people had inside info and sold their units for a lot more than those of us not privy to this information before the prices dropped dramatically is to deny the obvious. The evidence says otherwise. I refer you to the eBay completed listing history as proof. What more proof do you need? No, I can't name names, but I can name eBay names of the sellers. Maybe I should collect all the ebay names of those who sold before the countdown and post them with the sale prices for all to see. I think that would settle this particular question.

eBay user "derekjurovich" sold an ULTRA on eBay for $2650 on April 27th. Did this person have a "vision", or was it just coincidence? If it was coincidence, there are a lot of simultaneous coincidences. The probability of that happening is almost ZERO.

All I expect from a company is honesty. I see no evidence of dishonesty on the part of Fractal Audio. You simply CAN'T tell your competition or even your customers what is in the works for the future. Had the AXE II been announced to the world months ago, Fractal would have gone broke for lack of sales.

The only thing I don't quite get is that the old models have generally been out of stock for some time now, so an announcement a couple of months ago would not have hurt the company (how could it if they had nothing to sell and no competitors to the AXE II) and would have lessened the negative (for owners) impact on prices of old units.

Again, that's life and I see nothing inherently unfair about it. But in light of the *extremely convincing* circumstantial evidence I find it impossible to believe that nobody knew and nobody dumped their units on ebay, and for MORE than they paid new in some cases - MUCH more.

But that's OK. However, denying that it happened on some scale is not OK. It's impossible to find beta testers without tipping off a few people. My guess would be they were asked to keep it under wraps, but apparently some didn't if indeed they were requested to.

DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS from the completed listing sales on ebay just PRIOR to the countdown, with very few listings prior to April 27. On April 29 when the countdown started ebay was flooded with units. That's understandable, but the units sold prior to the start of the countdown look as if the owners were tipped off.

If you have a logical explanation for an ULTRA selling for $2650 (along with a few others at high prices) two days prior to the countdown I'm all ears. Please explain so people will stop thinking that it happened. If it did happen, don't say it didn't.

Thanks.

I'm getting sick of this. You need to name the "beta users" and show us that they sold theirs. I can tell you specifically that your allegation is false, but I'm giving you the opportunity - one more time - to back up your accusation. If you make it again without providing said support, you will receive an infraction.

OK, here are the eBay names - you figure out the real names.

derekjurovich $2650 APR. 27
fractalworldwide $2499 APR. 27
soundm71 $2399 APR. 28

etc. No time to go through this. It is what it is. I'm not complaining that it happened in a few cases, only saying it happened on a limited scale.

No. You explain to us how you managed to confuse a few ebay sales - FYI, "fractalworldwide" has sold lots of ultras on ebay, and some of his have sold for higher prices than the one you list - with "insider trading."

I'm not complaining that it happened in a few cases, only saying it happened on a limited scale.
With no evidence to back up your accusation. Same admonition applies. Either back it up, shut up, or face infractions. This kind of implicit character assassination constitutes direct violation of the rule against personal attack.

derekjurovich $2650 APR. 27
fractalworldwide $2499 APR. 27
soundm71 $2399 APR. 28

etc. No time to go through this. It is what it is. I'm not complaining that it happened in a few cases, only saying it happened on a limited scale.

Fractalworldwide is not a beta tester. I actually don't even know who those other people are. I didn't confirm or deny anything. The user just has no fact to support any of his claim. Your misreading of fractalworld wide proves the point.

"If you have a logical explanation for an ULTRA selling for $2650 (along with a few others at high prices) two days prior to the countdown I'm all ears. Please explain so people will stop thinking that it happened. If it did happen, don't say it didn't."

uhhhh because that was an auction and somebody bid that high. Whether the seller knew or not it would have sold that high.

Last edited:
Fractalworldwide is the guy that I sent an email to eBay to get him to change his username. No idea who he is and he's not a beta tester.

Revision 1.0 of the Axe-Fx II didn't have the RJ-45. It had two pedal jacks. Then one day I was staring at the MFC and thought "Ya know, I could remove a pedal jack and fit an RJ-45 and communicate with the MFC over that". It was serendipity, not secrecy.

Ah, cool...thanks Cliff...that indirectly answered my question about why there is only 1 expression pedal jack on the Axe II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom