New 18.00 Public Beta

Maybe it interacts better with the G3 modeling? I can get that nasty tone with out sounding noisy harsh. Or maybe it's just a placebo effect with the amps reacting better so I'm just hearing it different.
both actually and definitely a "positive side effect" of G3. the amps are reacting better on their own (playing dynamics, guitar volume etc.) so they will react better and more natural to feeding them with drive pedals. it's not just Fuzzes but ODs and Boosts as well.

Finally broke down, and beta'd up. I'm still waiting on the RV50, and the SVbass, but even they sound better in the highs. In fact, that's been the thing I can say I like most about 18. In 17.xx I found I was cutting my highs from the default settings to make them sound their best, but would sometimes make it hard to make certain amps stand up in the band mix, which made it necessary to make other boosts, and cuts, then tweak a domino of other advanced settings to keep the character in line. Now I find I'm pushing my highs a little up past default, and not touching much of anything else. It's way easier to keep the character I want, and it stands up in the mix without any major tweaking.

In 17.xx I found I was cutting my highs from the default settings to make them sound their best

exactly!

i probably said this before, but in everything previous to 18, i would go crazy on that Amp block Graphic EQ to sculpt the highs, some lows, to make it sound smoother and not too harsh.

in 18, i literally set only gain, bass mid treb, and output level. amazing.

Cliff.. this might be secret information but..

After all models get G3-ified, is there much more to improve amp-wise?
I mean like, are the amps going to be yet improved in the future or is G3 the maximum it gets?

I just want to know if we will tweak amps forever or if we will tweak them for G3 and this is it..
And in both cases, I'll be very happy! Hahaha

in 18, i literally set only gain, bass mid treb, and output level. amazing.

I'm probably still going to be using the high, and low cut, but mostly because it seems to keep the local sound guys from destroying my tone. Apparently, it makes our tone more "live ready", however, now I'm going to experiment with giving the highs more room.

I'm also using a couple of advanced controls on a couple of amps, but it's stuff like variac, and tube type. Mostly just "flavoring" stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sound is bold and threedimensional and more focused... and this improove not the amps tones only, but the reaction of the cabs IRs too and even in the EFXs area (modulations, delays and verbs but i think even whas) 'coz i think the efxs processing can operate on a more rich stuff!!! Ouh and... the dynamics... stellar! I think that the ramp from piano to forte/fortissimo now have more and more steps inbetween!

I mean like, are the amps going to be yet improved in the future or is G3 the maximum it gets?

I just want to know if we will tweak amps forever or if we will tweak them for G3 and this is it..

If you happy in both cases, so why you mention that here - even the real amp designer improve allways the amps they're making, so therefore the Axe will be improved aswell, as Cliff is a genius...

Guess it was already asked somewhere but does AE operates ok with 18b?
I know its not updated yet but does it runs?

Last edited:

Wondering about the same question. Somewhere he wrote final version...is that meant just as another release version, or is that the final?

All right, I just tried to combine Quick rod 1 with Recto2 vintage red with 58 and 128 stock Cabs - headphones only - and I am having a hard time to stop PLAYING. It is like almost 2 hours now and I still don´t want to stop ...

but I have to, otherwise nothing gets done today :D

V18 is simply rich in overtones, dynamics and every goodness you can think of ....

If you happy in both cases, so why you mention that here - even the real amp designer improve allways the amps they're making, so therefore the Axe will be improved aswell, as Cliff is a genius...

The real amp designers don't try to match their amps to real amps as the Axe FX does..
If the Axe FX reached the plateau where there's not improvement anymore to be done, so there won't be improvement to be done to the amps anymore..

Cliff always says "Axe models are closer to the original real models now, both in tone and feel".. real amp designers will never say "this new improvement in this model makes it sound and feel closer to the real model now"..

Improvements to the real amps won't make it sound necessarily better nor closer to anything as the improvements to the Axe do..
I asked to know if we will be able to create like, the ultimate John Petrucci preset, where there won't be space for improvements in the amp in the future, which would be really nice..
Or if it's going to continue to be updated and sound/feel even better, which is awesome but will make presets outdated as they usually get after few FW updates..

I'd be really happy in both cases..

As noted above, direct headphone monitoring has greatly improved. The Blue Mofi cans have helped a lot with that too.

I picked up my Axe II fw 5.07 and even back then it was better than awesome with headphones. Now the tone is so cozy it's like getting under a warm blanket.

Back
Top Bottom