New 18.00 Public Beta

It's an 8 ohm Blackhawk WGS AlNiCo in a dual ported Bludotone 1X12. It''s my cab. It sounds a little sweeter to me than an EVL-12 does.

This cab has turned out to be EXACTLY what I have been looking for! The Fuchs ODS-50 that I owned, and used exclusively, for the five years preceding my purchasing and AxeFX was a 1x12 combo loaded with a mid-'80s EVM-12L. Though this enclosure is closed & ported and uses a different driver it sound a lot like the Fuchs combo enclosure with the EV driver. Paired with any of the Dumble ODS style amps in the AxeFX, most specifically the Fox ODS (Fuchs), the tone is perfect for my preference. This IR sounds Bad @ss with the TripTic Classic too!!

Thanks austinbuddy for sharing this IR! :) I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming Cab Pack.

When you think it can't get any better....

Bunch more amp models have been G3'd.

With every update (15 > 16 > 17) I thought we'd reached the pinnacle of sound and feel.
But after playing the G3'd amps in the 18beta I'm stunned by the new Axe-FX experience.
Just wow! Can't wait for the full release with all amps changed into G3.
Don't think I'll be using Ideal/Smooth modes anymore.

Last edited:
The problem with profiling using only a microphone is you don't know what part of the output frequency response is due to the amp and what is due to the cab. So you have to make some assumptions about the amp frequency response.
That was a key issue for me (along with general approach/work flow) when I was considering my next big modeler. Since I use a power amp/cab sometimes, the Kemper old method would necessarily have to do what Cliff is describing, and it would severely diminish its potential as a 'preamp'; whereas Axe could easily do both. There were probably methods for getting around it (just having preamp only or DI outs) but I'm sure most were not/did not shoot profiles that way.

It is cool they are addressing that limitation for their users by providing a solution since IMHO it is one of the major shortcomings of that device (along with the fixed operating point). I still wonder if there won't be some 'fragmentation' in the user profiles. Since I'll bet a lot of people will not shoot them that way unless it is trivial/automatic to do.

In general, I want my cab IRs and my amp model decoupled so I can run PA->CAB or FRFR at will (downside here is that for FRFR there is some certainly some coupling that happens that is desirable, of course, AFX tries to account for this with speaker resonance et al). It would be nice the AFX had some metadata in the IR that could specify what target values to use prior to manual adjustment./fine tuning

Don't post much these days, but 18 b7 is just the absolute tits. 1000 thank you's to Cliff and all at FAS. Unbelievable.

Scott is very Christian and sometimes writes Biblical stuff under the chassis. Did yours have that ?

Yeah, the last time I was at his shop he had a lot of Christian references around. Scott is a really nice guy and a very good guitar player too. He modded a Marshall 1987x for me and it was incredible - it is the only amp I've ever regretted selling.

Has anyone noticed that some of the new Fender models, specifically the Vibrolux and Tremolux, now stay virtually clean even when dimed?

No work like a charm, maybe check your i/o input level or reset your amp block

Input level won't change the gain unless it's set to something very extreme, but then even the signal would be lost or clipping all the time. Maybe the Input Trim would be a better place to dig around or Global Amp Gain.

Has anyone noticed that some of the new Fender models, specifically the Vibrolux and Tremolux, now stay virtually clean even when dimed?

Play with the amp block trims and MV and you should be getting growling solid sustain with your solos.

Adjust your levels if necessary.

I spent half a day playing with my goto combination of Fas Modern and 5150ii and put a riff or two down in context of a mix.

I have to say I don't think I've ever been happier with the resultant guitar sound coming out of my monitors... with a real 5150ii...

I didn't think I'd ever say that.

The resultant sound is huge yet natural and it fills the right space in the mix without stepping on other instruments or getting nasal in any way.

Before this FW, I had a lot of pre amp block filtering, filtering between amp and cab and filtering after the cab. To get it to respond right and to help it sit in the mix. Not anymore!

I spent half a day playing with my goto combination of Fas Modern and 5150ii and put a riff or two down in context of a mix.

I have to say I don't think I've ever been happier with the resultant guitar sound coming out of my monitors... with a real 5150ii...

I didn't think I'd ever say that.

The resultant sound is huge yet natural and it fills the right space in the mix without stepping on other instruments or getting nasal in any way.

Before this FW, I had a lot of pre amp block filtering, filtering between amp and cab and filtering after the cab. To get it to respond right and to help it sit in the mix. Not anymore!

Love hearing that man!!! I am holding out until the final version with editor, love hearing you guys share your experiences:D

Thanks for the answer Cliff! They should hire you for marketing because you managed to clearly describe what their upgrade is versus the unclear explanations they have put out but I think you are a little too busy for that.

Ok enough of that product and back to rocking on 18B for me!

That was a key issue for me (along with general approach/work flow) when I was considering my next big modeler. Since I use a power amp/cab sometimes, the Kemper old method would necessarily have to do what Cliff is describing, and it would severely diminish its potential as a 'preamp'; whereas Axe could easily do both. There were probably methods for getting around it (just having preamp only or DI outs) but I'm sure most were not/did not shoot profiles that way.

It is cool they are addressing that limitation for their users by providing a solution since IMHO it is one of the major shortcomings of that device (along with the fixed operating point). I still wonder if there won't be some 'fragmentation' in the user profiles. Since I'll bet a lot of people will not shoot them that way unless it is trivial/automatic to do.

In general, I want my cab IRs and my amp model decoupled so I can run PA->CAB or FRFR at will (downside here is that for FRFR there is some certainly some coupling that happens that is desirable, of course, AFX tries to account for this with speaker resonance et al). It would be nice the AFX had some metadata in the IR that could specify what target values to use prior to manual adjustment./fine tuning

I owned/compared both a Kemper and an Axe FX a while back. The Axe FX so much more replicated the true range of sounds i hear in a real amp, volume settings from three to ten, there was no compelling reason to keep the Kemper. It was a one trick pony.

I've never really messed too much with FAS Modern II until tonight and all I can say is holy shit.

Great percussive crunch that fits in the mix perfectly with very little DAW intervention.

Maybe this has already been mentioned and I missed it....but if not

One of the few things I've struggled with with the Axe Fx is getting a good Fuzz sound. Or maybe an "optimal" fuzz sound to my liking. As far as I've seen nothing in the drive blocks has changed, but I swear every preset with fuzz just sounds and feels like what I've always wished for.

Maybe it interacts better with the G3 modeling? I can get that nasty tone with out sounding noisy harsh. Or maybe it's just a placebo effect with the amps reacting better so I'm just hearing it different.

Don't know. Don't care. I just know this is now one more element I love about the Axe.

Would be curious if anyone else has found the same to be true?

Back
Top Bottom