NEED - XL+ to MK2 Preset converter

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
G'day,

As the subject says - We really need a way to import XL presets into Mk2 models.
Please

Thanks
Pauly

Really need? More like a nice to have. The Mk2 is a discontinued product. No insentive to use limited resources for a discontinued product. I doubt it happens unless it happens in an indirect way where minimal effort is required as a result of development on one of the active products.

Not likely to happen. The presets structures are completely different. Different size, content, etc.
Think of it like trying to convert 32 bit audio to 16 bit. Half the data is lost, so it will not sound anything like the original.

The option to import the preset into Axe Edit (as XL) while offline and then select MK2 to see (estimated) CPU usage would be nice.
Then us "legacy" guys can edit the preset until we get the CPU down to 80% before we import into our fully functional discontinued product.

I don't think that it would take much coding in Axe Edit and I'd be happy to beta test that functionality!

Really need? More like a nice to have. The Mk2 is a discontinued product. No insentive to use limited resources for a discontinued product. I doubt it happens unless it happens in an indirect way where minimal effort is required as a result of development on one of the active products.

Eh, not sure that reasoning works, since all versions of the Axe FX II are still receiving firmware updates. Axe FX II is the current product and there are just various hardware revisions (Mk1, Mk2, XL, XL+). Are the presets really that significantly different between various Axe FX II firmwares? Obviously not since they're compatible in one direction.
;-)

Mind you, I don't see it happening, as a converter is along the lines of an offline editor. They nixed that awhile ago in exchange for editing stability.

Maybe - but at least you could still listen to the song!

Thanks
Pauly

Not likely to happen. The presets structures are completely different. Different size, content, etc.
Think of it like trying to convert 32 bit audio to 16 bit. Half the data is lost, so it will not sound anything like the original.

Hi Kroubik,

It's still supported in firmware etc. Makes it hard when you have an XL and a MK 2 (which I do)

Thanks
Pauly

But thats the whole point of converting.

Aren't the algorithms the same as well as the parameters? If that's so, then there is no "data to lose" and the difference is in file format. A converter from one format to another should be possible.

The problem is probably because of the expanded x/y functionality on some XL blocks. Of course it's possible to just take the state from scene one and leave it at that for the remaining scenes.
But it's not glitch free even for me importing Axe II Mk 1/2 files into my XL+.
If the preset contain a FX block that has X/Y function in XL but not in the Mk 1/2, it will by default be Activated even if it's bypassed in the original preset. For example Trempan, GEQ and others.
Also cabs will show the wrong cab slot of the original use a user cab slot.

I'm sure it can be done, but Fractal doesn't seem to want to put down any resources to make it possible.

Back when we were still on the old forum ( I think ), Cliff stated that it would be possible ( but he must have run some #'s ) because he said if he used Fractal resources to produce it, he'd have to charge for it ( I guess, kinda like Cab-Lab ) ? He was doubtful that anyone would want to pay for it, or if he could sell enough units to recoup the development costs ....

Now, just to be clear .... He didn't say ALL of that, but I'm 'reading between the lines' based on the things he did say .... So, if you don't like it, don't flame Cliff cause nothing here was directly quoted ....

I hope we get a solution like this in the future, and I WOULD pay for it. I am waiting for the Ax8, and I look at the huge library of user tones available at the AxeChange - But if none of them are compatible with Ax8, I cannot use them.

Same goes for people with older hardware I guess.

I think the best way to make the software would be that if I import an XL+ preset to Ax8, the software will tell me, which features of the preset that are incompatible with my hardware, and then I can choose, how I will handle each issue.

Terrain following radar uses dsp's to manage the radar signals. I don't know anything about dsp's but since the Axe-FX uses dsp's I'm sure adding a terrain following mode to the Axe-FX would be trivial at best.

As a MkII owner I would like this, but doubt I'd pay for it, to be brutally honest. So it is in that 'would be nice' zone.

I wonder if an AE function to load an XL preset off line (LOTS of MIDI editors allow import of a preset with no hardware connected) and export all the individual blocks would be helpful? I'd like to see more block sharing since that is what I tend to rip from presets but since they have to be exported individually, I think exchanges tend to be sporadic.

In fact, I would find the offline AE import valuable in general for observation even if the block export did not happen. I have frequently wished for this, even when the MkII was current and there was no compatibility issue. And we DO know that AE CAN import both flavors of preset.

....::You would need someone with an XL or XL+ to view the preset in AxeEdit. Once there, have them hold CTRL, ALT, SHIFT and press EXPORT. This will create a .csv file that you can read in a text editor that will show all parameters of all blocks in the preset.::
Zang Angelfire Inspired

Back
Top Bottom