Need to upgrade from RCF 12 sma to sizzly

I tried to load them as a speaker cab ir like i do for ownhammer live but that doesn't work?
Also when using a 3rd part cab like ownhammer live what settings do you choose in the cab
i assume you turn mic off? what about speaker size etc?

I use a PEQ at the end of all of chains thru the RCF, just set band 5 to blocking and roll back the high end to taste.
the Live n Loud OH IRS are a huge improvement for playing well.....live.
they are darker and fatter sounding, much more like a regular guitar cab, have you tried those yet.
no changes to any settings. with the Brit super amp sim I love the Brit modern
with my mark IV (USA Lead) patch I mixed the USA Modern and the Cali 4X12 (with the R121 on it) and found a very realistic sounding and feeling simulation of my old Mark IVA
IMO these latest OH IRS are really on track now.

No matter how I tweak the axe with the fx I hear a what I describe as a fuzziness around
the distortion. I find this results in ear fatigue after a while. I don't get this from my tube amps...
  1. Does the fuzziness sound better or worse when you're playing loud?
  2. If you can share a clip and a patch, it'll be easier to address the problem.

BTW: I find it interesting that now that a lot of Dumble discussion is up quite some people say "the Axe has less harmonic content".

So am I crazy for saying the input trim can add to the frizziness of an amp sim?
Crazy? No. But there should be no audible effect on fuzziness within the useful range of the Input Trim control. Have you heard a difference?

Last edited:
Simple one. If you like it in your face. That's how FOH is. Allways. Try to Cut the cab so much that you like it.
It's another animal. Flat is cool, but not the answer for me. I need balls. Yet. The only way i got that was a DSR 115 in my back
and a GOOD sounding wedge in my face. But That's what i Tried so far.

That Sounds killer, of course

Crazy? No. But there should be no audible effect on fuzziness within the useful range of the Input Trim control. Have you heard a difference?

Yes,

We all know if your hitting the front end of a device with a hot signal it's going to change the way it sounds. All of the amp sim input trims, (Ha say that three times really fast) default at 1.00 and every amp should be different in the way that it reacts to a guitars input signal with respect to it's gain structure. I have found if I'm looking for a particular tone or gain structure with a specific amp sim I can play with this and fix a lot of problems to a certain degree with an overly fizzy sound being one of them.

The bridge pup in the guitar im using now has an OP of 13.5k which is pretty hot for the type of tones I like to get. I then remembered reading something that someone posted about how his sound man told him that his guitar sounded all fizzy in the FOH system even with the inputs set up for tickling the red LED's. I didn't think much about it at first but then I remembered that the fix was to adjust the input trim and thought, what the heck let's play with it and see what happens. I found the results are worth the effort at least for the guitar I'm using now, it seems to have made a significant difference in the fact that I'm no longer considering changing out the pups. So for what ever it's worth to the OP give it a shot it only takes seconds to see if it's going to make a difference instead of tuning parameters that may not necessarily need to be tuned ;).

I get it...you're talking about the amp block input trim, not the one in the I/O menu. You're right: that can make a difference.

For your continued "fizz"/"sizzle" that has remained through multiple FRFR speakers:

1. Check your guitar- if it's old or made in china, you might some wiring/grounding problems that make noise

2. Check the obvious things on the Axe: input level, input trim, output level(s), etc.

3. Check your cables- bad cables make for bad noises

4. Check your room outlets- if your house has bad wiring, grounding, or inconsistent voltage, you might be getting noise from there

5. Unity gain- do as best you can to get ALL your gear volumes at noon (FRFR volume, axe output, axe input, amp ctrls, cab level, etc.)

6. Make sure you just do a simple patch (amp/cab/rev) with as untouched ctrls as possible.

7. Try another fx processor thru the RCF's at Guitar Center or some other store- it could be your hearing. I know lots of musicians with "artifacts" in their hearing for various reasons.

That's all I've got. Hope it helps.

Just use the high low cut in the cab block. It is much easier and saves CPU. If that does not work I say post the patch here since sine guys have the RCF they can see if they hear the sizzle

Back
Top Bottom