Need help with modulated reverb

jguss

i just got my B-stock FX8 (Looks perfect to me.) and am trying to recreate my old pedal board with fx8 blocks. The digitech Polara modulated reverb is my always on effect. I've been trying to create a reasonable facsimile without much luck. I've looked at the recommendations within the axefx manual but can't get the deep chorusing that the Polara does so well. I suspect there's more to it than the depth and rate parameters, but you'd need to be an audio engineer and then some to figure out where to start.
Does anyone have a good modulated reverb patch I could use as a starting point, or could someone explain a more detailed process I could follow?
I've created a detune block to stack but I'm not getting the random reflections I'm looking for.
Thanks

i just had a listen to a demo of the pedal. i think you might actually get fairly close with a multidelay

try the plex detune
set the four delay times to random values so the shortest and longest times are about 400ms apart. the length of the shortest delay is like your "pre-delay" time - it will define how quickly the effect becomes apparent. you might need to make the values closer together if the reverb you're going for is actually quite short. you don't want to hear the individual repeats of the delay
make sure diffusion is set to 100%
try setting the detunes between about 5 and 10 cents. two at + values and two at - values.
try attaching an lfo to the master detune parameter, to gently and slowly modulate the overall detune
let me know how you get on!
if you have problems, point me to a clip that closely resembles the effect you want and i can make you a block file

i just had a listen to a demo of the pedal. i think you might actually get fairly close with a multidelay

try the plex detune
set the four delay times to random values so the shortest and longest times are about 400ms apart. the length of the shortest delay is like your "pre-delay" time - it will define how quickly the effect becomes apparent. you might need to make the values closer together if the reverb you're going for is actually quite short. you don't want to hear the individual repeats of the delay
try setting the detunes between about 5 and 10 cents. two at + values and two at - values.
try attaching an lfo to the master detune parameter, to gently and slowly modulate the overall detune
if you have problems, point me to a clip that closely resembles the effect you want and i can make you a block file
Thanks so much for the response. I'll give this a try and let you know how I fare.

try the plex detune
For some reason I can't seem to edit the delay times in the plex detune patch. Are they locked for some reason? I am a newbie after all. Thanks

Set the tempo values to none. Also download the delay blocks from my website. Link below in my sig. Check out my vid on youtube about where to put them

Absolutely. You got me very close with your initial settings. Now I'm wondering which settings I should be modifying to change the depth of the modulation; how to change proportions of the reverb to the modulation, etc. i could spend days trying to get a handle on all the variables. I wish these settings were their own patch with the multi variables rolled into one or two knobs.
Anyway, so begins the learning curve. Thanks so much for the generosity with your expertise.

i'm not sure what "shorten the depth" means here - are you referring to the modulation (in which case follow rex's advice) or are you referring to the time (in which case there's a time parameter)

Hi simeon, hi jguss, would it be possible for you to share the blocks? simeon, perhaps I'm blind but I didn't find anything on yout website. best regards!

yeah, there's no link to it at the moment. i need to update my site. look down in my sig where it says "download FX blocks..."

By "depth" I was referring to the decay time of the reverb not modulation. Poor choice of terminology on my part.

Hi Simeon,
I just wanted to close the loop and let you know that this patch turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. Definitely a learning curve with the FX-8, but the results are simply astounding.

good man. glad you sorted it yourself as well (rather than just asking for a block). rare these days :)

go ahead and download my delay blocks if you haven't already - HERE - lots of nice stuff in there. dump the unzipped folders into the folder called fractal audio > axe edit > blocks and then you can recall them in fx8 edit.

thanks a lot for these examples and your explanations - a very good starting point for my own tries!

Back
Top Bottom