Need help choosing a bass ...

maschoff

Experienced
Ok, I'm a guitarist and am looking for a bass that I can record with using the axe and no bass tone gets me going like Justin Chancellor's but I'm not a bassist and cannot justify spending 6 grand on a Wal bass ...

I've been looking and have found a bass that's closer to my target range; looks like I can pick this up for $2600. ... without the blood splatter ...

Stuart Spector Designs, LTD - Makers of fine electric and bass guitars: UNCOMPROMISING QUALITY | UNPARALLELED VERSATILITY | UNBELIEVABLE SOUND

Anyone have any ideas or know where I might find this cheaper? I'm looking for something that can do it all ... yeah right :)

Let me know your thoughts :)

I'm no bass player, but my wife is. She's been through quite a few of them and her favorite is her Ibanez SR 900. It's a discontinued model, but occasionally, they come up on Ebay for around $600 (you'll have to bid against her, however ;)). Basses are a lot like guitars in that the neck profile is more important than the sound, which can be changed through different pickups/amps. Her second fav is a prototype Mockingbird (the actual prototype from BC Rich's heritage classic series re-released this year from a new factory) and that thing is a BEAST. It's a little bulky for her to stand and play at gigs, but she loves it sitting down at home and practice. She's been eyeing a carbon fiber Emerald Flow bass recently, but hasn't taken that plunge yet.

You are just going to have to try out everything that you can get your hands on because just like guitars, they all feel and sound different.

Ok, I'm a guitarist and am looking for a bass that I can record with using the axe and no bass tone gets me going like Justin Chancellor's but I'm not a bassist and cannot justify spending 6 grand on a Wal bass ...

I've been looking and have found a bass that's closer to my target range; looks like I can pick this up for $2600. ... without the blood splatter ...

Stuart Spector Designs, LTD - Makers of fine electric and bass guitars: UNCOMPROMISING QUALITY | UNPARALLELED VERSATILITY | UNBELIEVABLE SOUND

Anyone have any ideas or know where I might find this cheaper? I'm looking for something that can do it all ... yeah right :)

Let me know your thoughts :)

Well, as a TOOL fan and J.C. fan, I can tell you that you can get tones similar to his without a Wal Bass (although ain't nothing like the real thing...see my avatar!). For years, I used the Schecter Stilletto Studio (Diamond Series) basses with active EMG pickups and D'Addario XL Nickel Wounds, played with a pick, and you can get pretty close. Check out the audio/video links on this site for an idea of what they can sound like:

TOOLfist Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos

These Schecter basses are (if you get a good one) well-made, good sounding, and feel good right out of the gate - especially in the $400-800 US price range. Ibanez is also pretty good in this price range.

Suart Spector basses are really nice and sound great. If you're in the $1500+ price range then there really are a lot of options (G&L, Ernie Ball, Modulus, Warwick, others). At some level, I do think that it is just as much about playing technique as it is the bass, and there are a lot of "modern" basses configured for this type of tone. Bang for buck, though, definitely check out the Schecters...JMHO.

i used to play a peavey foundation s... that had an amazing neck for one who is not endowed with long phalanges!! I thought it sounded nice...was 20 years ago mind!!

Thanks Everyone, I appreciate your ideas. I'll probably wait until after the holidays to buy, so I'll try to get down to the local GC and see what they have but I already know it's slim pickings which is really why I appreciate your guys' input so much.

Another thought: how about a Musicman Stingray? Justin used a Stingray for Forty-Six and 2, and IMHO that is one of his signature Tool bass tones. They typically run somewhere in the $1,400- $1,800 range. Cheers!

-AL

I'll add another +1 for Schecter basses. Whether guitar or bass they make really good value guitars/basses. I have a DV-4 and Stiletto Studio 5. They were setup really well right out of the box. I like how they play and sound. If possible give them a try, you might be able to surprise yourself and save some money in the process.

Best of luck in your search.

Another +1 for Schecter. I own three Schecter guitars (Gryphon, C-1 FR, Hellraiser C1-FR) and three basses (Stiletto Custom-4, Stiletto Custom-5, Studio-4 Fretless). The quality of Schecter is completely solid and the necks are amazing. The Custom-4 bass is my main bass. You can seriously fly on the neck. You can go either Schecter or Ibanez and find something you'll be really happy with without spending three mortgage payments on it.

:) Ok, I just ordered a black Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 ... should be here by Friday :) ... I'll let you know how it goes :)

By the way, Schecter uses coated bass strings on their basses (except for the fretless which has flats). Some people don't mind them, but I tend to find them sticky, for lack of a better term, especially for finger style playing. I usually swap them out for a set of DR Hi-Beam strings, but there are obviously any number of great strings out there to suit your tonal tastes and playing style. Try out the stock strings and see how they feel to you first though. You may not mind them at all.

:) Ok, I just ordered a black Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 ... should be here by Friday :) ... I'll let you know how it goes :)

Cool. I've got the same bass in a 4 string version (actually 2 of 'em for gigging - one in 440, one in Eflat tuning, LOL) and until recently it was my "go to" bass. I love the feel and "speed" of the neck (which is a full 2 octaves) and it fit like a glove from day one. Here's hoping the best of luck to you and your new bass!

A lot of Justin Chancellor's tone comes from the overdrive. I've gotten similar tones using a Sansamp BDDI in front of my amp. Sometimes a little chorus effect helps too.

That Spector should be an incredible bass and you should easily be able to get close with some overdrive and the right amp and cab of course. I actually owned a Spector Euro LX a couple of years ago (wish I hadn't sold it) and it came very close to a Tool tone. It was capable of very aggressive tones that really cut through the mix and was a top notch quality bass.

A lot of Justin Chancellor's tone comes from the overdrive. I've gotten similar tones using a Sansamp BDDI in front of my amp. Sometimes a little chorus effect helps too.

That Spector should be an incredible bass and you should easily be able to get close with some overdrive and the right amp and cab of course. I actually owned a Spector Euro LX a couple of years ago (wish I hadn't sold it) and it came very close to a Tool tone. It was capable of very aggressive tones that really cut through the mix and was a top notch quality bass.

classic JC bass track here, Schism: Tool - Schism (Bass Instrumental) - YouTube

Primary tone has a little grit that shows up more when he plays the lower lines, but not as much for the fast hammer-on line played in the verse. Yes, for sure the SansAmp Bass Driver can get you close to that...and so can the AxeFx without a doubt. Would love to see a SansAmp Bass Driver added to the Drive Pedal models for bassists.

The Schecter Stilleto Studio 5 has arrived. 20121214_121512.jpgOn first inspection, I am very impressed; good build quality, and intonation and string height are perfect, no need for a trip to the guitar shop. Overall a very fun and playable bass. Using the Axe-Fx II's SV bass amp and 8x10 SV bass cabs, I was able to dial in JC-like tones very easily. :) I'm going to check out the RedWirez bass cabs now; I'll upload samples once I get time. Need to look for good bass presets and setups for the Axe too. Thanks everyone! Saved me money and made me a happy camper, I totally appreciate it!

Reactions: DLM
I'm no bass player, but my wife is. She's been through quite a few of them and her favorite is her Ibanez SR 900. It's a discontinued model, but occasionally, they come up on Ebay for around $600
As a guitar/bass player I LOVE the Ibanez SR series too .. play an SR755 right now
SR755BSF.gif

this type will be the next one.. but BIG difference in Price $$$
Ibanez.com | Basses | SR5005E

SR5005EOL.gif

Back
Top Bottom