Nearly 100 degrees direct sunlight

JRod4928

Power User
Any tips to prevent overheating the FM9 this weekend? My main preset is at 82%.

I've played outdoors but never this high temperatures and not for a 2 hour gig.

I know it's designed for this. But I'm open to taking precautions if anyone has ideas

Yes, it's designed for it. BUT a black enclosure in the sun can get really hot. CPU usage really doesn't matter, that causes a couple-degree temp rise internal at most.

Putting a sun cover over the FM9 is your best bet. Search the posts, there were pics of people's sun covers posted a while back. Or liquid cooling...

same here..I had to play outside..the temp was 40 Celsius at noon when wI did sound check..suddenly my AxeFx Ultra shut down..no sound ..nothing..I was desperate.The show was in the evening at 21.00 at the show time everything was ok and ready ..but man, the emotions....For some hours I was desperate...I just bought to aircooler small size I put in the back of my rack..and thats it

I've played 110+ degrees in direct sun on a black stage with my Ultra, and it kept going. My Roland VG-88 wasn't so cooperative. Also played some insanely hot gigs with the II, and it was ok as well. Cover it with a white sheet or reflective insulation and run a fan on it. I can't think of anything else.

I've done multiple 100+ gigs with the FM9. No issues at all. More than I can say for my Line 6 wireless receiver that went out due to heat.

More work = More heat

Ask yourself. What's better, to have that extra drive pedal, or plex delay ... or to lower your CPU to a more reasonable level?

Did a 92-degree gig yesterday where we had a cover over the band, but as usual I was on the sun side, so full sun on my FM9. No problems, other than a bit of difficulty reading the displays. Overall the scribble scrips were champ, quite readable, unlike the main display and switch LEDs.

Keep it out of direct sunlight, same with ipads or phones, they will shut off. Stay hydrated, not just water, can drink too much water. And heatstroke is no joke.
Sorry for laughing but how easy we went from "cover to avoid heating for fm9" to "prevent heatstroke"...
And by the way at first sight I read "heartstroke" that's not even a word...

Keep it out of direct sunlight, same with ipads or phones, they will shut off. Stay hydrated, not just water, can drink too much water. And heatstroke is no joke.
Agreed, I don't think that the displays are actually rated for high temp. Generally semiconductors are rated to 125C, but plastic components (like some capacitors) and displays are rated for much lower temp.

I had 2 quarts of Gatorade. And water. And... tacos!

ps 125C = 257F

Sorry for laughing but how easy we went from "cover to avoid heating for fm9" to "prevent heatstroke"...
And by the way at first sight I read "heartstroke" that's not even a word...
Just thought I'd throw it in, I've had it happen and I'm sorry for trying to give someone some information that might help them not die.

Heatstroke is not uncommon here. I, and many musicians I know here, have become sick from the heat; to the point of confusion/shivers/vomiting. Organizers couldn't care less.

Any tips to prevent overheating the FM9 this weekend? My main preset is at 82%.

I've played outdoors but never this high temperatures and not for a 2 hour gig.

I know it's designed for this. But I'm open to taking precautions if anyone has ideas
I always block the sun on outdoor shows. I stand my pedalboard bag up in front of the board.

Heatstroke is not uncommon here. I, and many musicians I know here, have become sick from the heat; to the point of confusion/shivers/vomiting. Organizers couldn't care less.
I played an outdoor show last week where we were under one of those cheap pop up shelters, it was hot as a MF, AND we were getting swarmed by cicadas constantly. Least favorite show I've ever played. But we brought plenty of bottled water for the heat, at least.

Back
Top Bottom