Nearfield monitor article

Thanks for posting. I'm still learning a lot of this stuff, so I love reading articles like this. :)

Let's talk about it

As the author of the article in question, I'd like the opportunity to address anyone's misgivings about the content of the article.

As someone who had been involved in one way or another with the sales and marketing of all kinds of loudspeakers from car audio to home theater to studio reference monitors - including working closely with representatives for the speaker manufacturing industry - since 1979, and who had been involved with both the broadcast and media post-production industry since the 1990s, and has been an audio tracking and mix engineer since 1999, I have had much experience with loudspeaker design and performance from many angles of the industry over the years - both in the home and in the studio - and I stand by my descriptions and analysis as stated in the article in question.

I will admit that the constraints of the media of the article - I have to limit myself to somewhere around 1500 words per article maximum, else in these Twitterized days of short attention spans no one would read them - cause me to have to sometimes keep the details too short and sweet to do full and complete justice to some subjects.

For those that have misgivings about the veracity of the content or the thrust of the article, I will be glad to calmly and frankly discuss these misgivings here. Maybe we can all gain something positive from this.

Glen Stephan,
Independent Recording Network

Last edited:
It is a very interesting article. I have personally found that many home speakers are indeed hyped in the low end. They tend to make everything sound good. I am not so sure this is a bad thing. As when I hear a high quality studio monitor (for example ATC), they actually tend to make a lot of things sound bad. All of those classic recordings we know and love tend to get ripped apart and somehow the magic disappears. This is apparently lack of distortion and coloration. Another thing that makes itself obvious in a high quality studio monitor is bass. You listen to various recordings and something will sound like it has no bass. Then if you put on something else the speaker explodes with bass. So the lack of hyped bass is very apparent. When you get a good studio monitor, you can also hear things like reverb and delay in recordings, which may not have been so noticeable before. There are many home speakers that sound "better" than many so called monitors. Just because something has the label "Studio Monitor" doesn't mean its good. So you do have a point there. A monitor being active helps a lot in clarity. The fact that you can get active monitors from many companies now is a good thing.

I whole-heartedly agree with the article's starting point: loudspeaker marketing is loaded with hype. That hype often becomes "common knowledge," and myths are born.

I'm not so comfortable with the fact that the article's speaker evaluations are based almost entirely on manufacturer's published frequency response specs. Manufacturer's specs are loaded with hype. If you read the specs closely, you'll see that a speaker's published response curve often disagrees with its published frequency response. How do you know which one (if any) is true without testing? Response curves themselves are often doctored with curve smoothing that minimizes response peaks and dips (accurate respones curves are more jagged than what you usually see in a published spec). Those peaks and dips tell you a lot more about a speaker's transparency than the frequency response spec, even when the spec is true.

Kudos to Glen for inviting frank discussion. That takes courage. Kudos, too, for pointing a finger at audio mythology—it's rampant.

There are indeed many "home" speakers that have a "hyped" response - especially but not exclusively on the low end. One of the first pair I owned way back when I was a teen was like that (the old Realistic Mach One.) But there are just as many - if not more - that are either not "hyped" at all, at least not on purpose, or actually over-respond somewhere in the midrange.

Surprisingly enough, a significant midrange bump is often coveted by mixing studio engineers over actual flat accuracy (I'm not one of them, but there are many other engineers I respect who do good work who do.) The textbook example is the (in)famous Yamaha NS-10, found in more recording and mixing studios than almost any other single piece of gear. The NS-10 was actually originally built and marketed by Yamaha as a home bookshelf speaker, and has a prominent midrange bump, rather flabby bass response, and high end that most supposed golder-ear audiophiles would cringe at. But chances are more than not of your favorite songs on your own playlist have been either mixed or mix-checked fully or partially through NS-10s somewhere along the line.

But the questions always remain: Just how much "hype" can a manufacturer afford to purposely engineer into a speaker with a $100 retail price point when they can really only single-source the quantity of speaker elements they need to build the speaker form one source that already has an un-hyped range into it's offered element? How much "hype" do they really *want* to engineer into a $1000 speaker being marketed to audiophiles - who know better than to believe that a "death curve" or "smiley face" EQ hype on the edges of the spectrum actually makes things sound "better"? The truth is that there is just so much variation in sound performance - hyped and not hyped, flat or seismic, intentional and incidental - among various lines and models of "home speakers" that any such generalized myth as "home speakers are hyped" is just plain inaccurate.

And on the other end of the spectrum, if speakers lableled "studio monitors" are so flat, why the hell should we pay $6000 for a high end pair of Tannoys or Genelecs when we can get supposedly "flat" studio monitors from mAudio or Yamaha for only 1/20th of that price? If "studio monitors" are so flat, why are entire forums built around the back-and-forth arguments that brand A of studio monitor is so much better than brand B, and vice versa? In fact, why buy $6000 Genlecs when we can buy $700 Genlecs that have the word "studio monitor" blazoned across them just as big? I got news for you,folks; those forum people are not arguing over a dB or two in variation, they are arguing over just as wide a range of speaker performance and personal taste and preference as one finds in the home market. And a $700 pair of Genlecs sounds just as different from a $6000 pair of Genlecs as they do from a $6000 pair of Martin Logans.

The dig at the frequency response specs is a valid one. I did my best in researching the article to select only those speakers I could find that had either fairly reliable spec publications including +/- variation specs and/or actual published response plots, or (preferably, where possible) had independent measurements available in third-party reviews or similar. I also recognize - and made a strong point of explaining this in the article - that freq response is not the be-all and end-all of speaker performance. One cannot judge exactly how a speaker sound based just on published frequency response specs.

However, these response specs do provide a good example "baramoter" of the huge variation in speaker performance among various speaker models in both "home" lines and "studio" lines, and illustrate well that any such generalizations such as "home speakers are hyped and studio speakers are flat" just plain don't hold up under the scrutiny of closer examination and the reality of retail price-point marketing.

People like easy generalizations and oversimplifications that sound at first blush to make sense, because it makes the world simpler to deal with. But the real world is rarely that simple and easy, and the sooner that the budding home engineer dispels themselves of these over-simplified myths, the better they will understand the hobby or vocation they are diving into and the better and faster they will be at their efforts.

G.

Last edited:
Surprisingly enough, a significant midrange bump is often coveted by mixing studio engineers over actual flat accuracy (I'm not one of them, but there are many other engineers I respect who do good work who do.) The textbook example is the (in)famous Yamaha NS-10, found in more recording and mixing studios than almost any other single piece of gear. The NS-10 was actually originally built and marketed by Yamaha as a home bookshelf speaker, and has a prominent midrange bump, rather flabby bass response, and high end that most supposed golder-ear audiophiles would cringe at.
Agreed: NS-10s are inaccurate and sound crappy. They are an example of the "other" purpose for studio monitors. They're used for mastering, and their purpose is to give the engineer an idea of what his mix will sound like on a typical medium-crappy consumer system. If you can make your mix sound good on an NS-10, it will sound good on anything.

But the questions always remain: Just how much "hype" can a manufacturer afford to purposely engineer into a speaker with a $100 retail price point when they can really only single-source the quantity of speaker elements they need to build the speaker form one source that already has an un-hyped range into it's offered element?
Enclosure and crossover design are more-or-less fixed costs. There's no added design cost if you design-in, say, a mid-bass hump. In fact, designing carefully for flat response can consume more design hours than just throwing in a peak somewhere and calling it a day. Crossovers and porting are just some of the ways you can "hype" a design at will without affecting your price point.

And on the other end of the spectrum, if speakers lableled "studio monitors" are so flat, why the hell should we pay $6000 for a high end pair of Tannoys or Genelecs when we can get supposedly "flat" studio monitors from mAudio or Yamaha for only 1/20th of that price? If "studio monitors" are so flat, why are entire forums built around the back-and-forth arguments that brand A of studio monitor is so much better than brand B, and vice versa?
"Flat" is relative. +/-3 dB is a whole different game from +/-1 dB. There's also the cult of the pricetag to consider—more mythology. Back-and-forth arguments about Brand A vs. Brand B can be found on every forum on every topic. They don't prove or disprove that there is a real difference. Heated Internet debates don't tell you much about anything.

I got news for you,folks; those forum people are not arguing over a dB or two in variation...
They often have no idea how many dB they're arguing about. :) And a dB or two can make a huge difference, as many forum members have discovered. Look through your presets for one that uses GEQ or PEQ in small amounts—just 1 or 2 dB— and hear how much the sound changes when the EQ is bypassed.

However, these response specs do provide a good example "baramoter" of the huge variation in speaker performance among various speaker models in both "home" lines and "studio" lines...
They provide a good example barometer of manufacturers' claims, but not of their products' performance. Relying on published specs has the unintended consequence of rewarding the manufacturers who play the most weasel games with their numbers.

People like easy generalizations and oversimplifications that sound at first blush to make sense, because it makes the world simpler to deal with. But the real world is rarely that simple and easy...
A big +1, Glen. Shout this from the rooftops!

Agreed: NS-10s are inaccurate and sound crappy. They are an example of the "other" purpose for studio monitors. They're used for mastering, and their purpose is to give the engineer an idea of what his mix will sound like on a typical medium-crappy consumer system. If you can make your mix sound good on an NS-10, it will sound good on anything.
You'll actually rarely find an NS-10 in a pro mastering studio, they are far more the domain of the tracking/mixing studio. Pro mastering engineers tend to be the audiophiliacs of the music production chain and far prefer the ultra-accuracy of the highest-end far fields.

The whole "if they sound good on NS-10s, they'll sound good on anything" theory is directly related to the midrange bump in their response. (it actually goes even further back than the NS-10; engineers used to love to convert old Auratone public address speakers for use in mix checks with the same rationalization.)

There are/were two ideas idea behind that theory. The first dates back to the days when most folks listened to music on AM radios and crappy portable record players. Producers and engineers wanted to make records that sounded good and sold well on those crappy-sounding (by studio standards) playback systems. So by having a crapping-sounding speaker in the studio on which to check their mixes, they could ensure that the record would sound good in the ol '66 Chevelle or on the ol' Columbia record player.

Nowdays, such crappy playback systems are not the paradigm they once were, but many mix engineers still like to hear accentuation in the midrange area around 3k-5k (give or take a few cycles amongst friends). That range is one of the most troublesome and most "crowded" frequency ranges in the audible spectrum - i.e. most common instruments and voices spend and share a lot of their energy at those frequencies. It is also the frequency range where the average human ear is the most sensitive at virtually all volumes. As such, it is an area that's easy to over-saturate with guitar, keyboard, vocals and such, to the point of easy harshness. By listening on a speaker that harshes the mids easily on it's own, it makes it easy to tone down the mids in the mix so that they then dont harsh on any speaker, including the flatter ones.
Enclosure and crossover design are more-or-less fixed costs. There's no added design cost if you design-in, say, a mid-bass hump. In fact, designing carefully for flat response can consume more design hours than just throwing in a peak somewhere and calling it a day. Crossovers and porting are just some of the ways you can "hype" a design at will without affecting your price point.
True enough. But hyping via crossover design is not what most people are talking about when they talk about "hyping" home speakers. That usually refers to boosting the response efficiency towards the ends of the spectrum in more of a "smiley face" EQ curve simulating something like n A or C weighted "loudness-button-style" boost. And that kind of performance typically requires more expense in the speaker element quality and enclosure or porting design than in simple crossover tuning.

When you wind up with a speaker that is strong in the mids but weak on the ends, that is far more often the result not of "hyping" the mids, but far more simply of not being very efficient or accurate on the ends of the spectrum. That's not "hyping", that's just profitable and economical speaker construction.

And in today's booming "home studio" market, there's no shortage of the desire for marketing highly profitable and economical speakers to take advantage of the market. Nor is the "studio monitor" market immune from the realities of OEM supply and cost, nor the intense competition of having to sell more speakers at better margins at price point X than your competitor. Sometimes the driving force in a speaker design is not some specification goal as it is to whether OEM Smith can commit to manufacturing and shipping 10,000 woofers a month to brand name loudspeaker company Jones fast enough and for a small enough cost so that Jones can get a speaker model on the market fast enough and profitable enough to kill rival company Brown's popular speaker at a similar form factor and price point in time for the next NAMM show.

But beyond all that, the bottom line is that all one has to do to hear for themselves the mythology vs. the truth is to take their ears down to their nearest quality audio outlet, put a blindfold on, and listen for themselves. There is as much difference in studio monitors as there is in home speakers, and there is a whole lot of crossover (pun incidental) area in performance between the two.

And maybe even more to the point (and a driving reason for this wide variety in both camps) is that virtually every set of ears and brains has different preferences. Some people prefer flat, extended, accurate response. Others prefer accentuated [insert your favorite frequency band here]. Some are simply fooled by a speaker design's overall efficiency, and are fooled into thinking that because speaker A delivers a higher SPL than speaker B at the same input wattage, that speaker A sounds better.* Many people - included many pros and self-professed audiophiles - can't even agree on what "flat" actually sounds like. There are those that insist (just for example) that Mackie 824s are "hyped" whereas something similar to the NS-10 is "flat", when in fact just the opposite is far closer to the truth according to every impartial test known to man.

There are a thousand different-sounding studio monitors and a thousand different-sounding home speakers with overalpping performance quality because *there is a market for them*. And there is a market for them because a thousand different people will have a thousand different personal reasons and preferences and taste and hearing differences to create a market for such diversity.

* this efficiency illusion is a popular sales trick used by retail sales outlets across the country. Identify a speaker in your sales inventory that has a relatively high efficiency and profit margin (and therefore commission reward), and make sure it is the "B" speaker in an A/B listening comparison against a less efficient speaker that is perhaps not as profitable. Make a show out of the point that you are not touching or changing any settings on the sound source. 5 times out of 6, the unwitting customer -educated or not - will be convinced that the louder, more efficient (and more profitable for the retailer and salesperson) speaker sounds better, and will likely pick that one to buy - especially if they are at similar enough price points.

G.

The whole "if they sound good on NS-10s, they'll sound good on anything" theory is directly related to the midrange bump in their response.
+1.

Nowdays, such crappy playback systems are not the paradigm they once were...
You're right: truly crappy systems are pretty much a thing of the past, although cell phones, Ipods and docking stations have lowered the bar on what constitutes "high fidelity." But as you say, people do like their "smiley" curves.

But hyping via crossover design is not what most people are talking about when they talk about "hyping" home speakers. That usually refers to boosting the response efficiency towards the ends of the spectrum in more of a "smiley face" EQ curve simulating something like n A or C weighted "loudness-button-style" boost. And that kind of performance typically requires more expense in the speaker element quality and enclosure or porting design than in simple crossover tuning.
"Hyping" of one part of the spectrum is sometimes achieved by "de-hyping" another part. For example, reduced mids = smiley-curve response. This can be achieved, among other ways, by changing the impedence of one leg of the crossover, or creative choice of crossover point. The most common kind of "hyping" is the mid-bass "hump" exhibited by those "surprising-amount-of-bass-for-such-a-small-size" bookshelf systems. This is usually achieved in the port design; it works independent of speaker element quality, and it's no more expensive to manufacture a "hyping" design than it is to manufacture a flatter design.

And in today's booming "home studio" market, there's no shortage of the desire for marketing highly profitable and economical speakers to take advantage of the market. Nor is the "studio monitor" market immune from the realities of OEM supply and cost...
+1 on the next three paragraphs. You speak much truth here.

The most common kind of "hyping" is the mid-bass "hump" exhibited by those "surprising-amount-of-bass-for-such-a-small-size" bookshelf systems.
I agree with virtually your entire post. There is often a legitimate reason in musical physics and psychoacoustics for this particular detail, however, and while I may just be arguing semantics, I don't know that I'd put this under the category of "hyping"- at least not under the definition as intended under the myths that the original article was meant to address.

Its is a natural property of human hearing and brains to interpret a large amount of energy in the low-order overtone frequencies of a fundamental frequency as an actual large amount of energy in the fundamental itself, even if the fundamental is not really there. For a hypothetical example, if your signal has large peaks at (say) 110Hz, 165 Hz and 220Hz, the human senses will tend to believe it is hearing an A1 note (fundamental frequency: 55Hz), even if that fundamental note is not being reproduced by the speaker - of even if that fundamental does not even exist in the source material.

Taking advantage of this fact of nature is indeed, as you say, one of the ways that speaker manufacturers can get such efficient *apparent* extended bass response out of speaker systems with under-sized or under-juiced woofers.

The two caveats with this detail as it concerns the home vs. studio markets and the idea of spec'ing a speaker's response, however are:

1. This rule of nature and of speaker design applies equally to all speakers, regardless of whether they have the "home entertainment" or "studio monitor" monikers stenciled across their boxes. If you have a $99 speaker with 4" woofers that delivers a relatively deep apparent bass response, the reason for that apparent response is rarely different based upon it's marketing or use classification. All else being equal (price, form factor, etc.) "studio monitors" are rarely any more altruistically designed in this respect than "home speakers". Call this trick "hyping" if you wish - I'll accept that - but you'll find this kind of "hyping" just as much in the small "studio monitor" as you will in the small "bookshelf speaker."

2. This kind of "hyping" may fool our ears, but it doesn't fool frequency response measurements. If (for example) a speaker's response curve falls off at 6db/octave below 90 Hz, it's going to show that in the response curve and specs regardless of any "hyping" or not in the mid-bass region. In fact, such hyping will not flatten the response, but will in fact have just the opposite effect.

And one last note on your comments regarding the manufacturer's fudging of the response specs. I don't disagree that there are lies, damned lies and manufactuer's specifications. But not only have many, if not most, of the specs I use in the article been independently verified via third-party reviews, but - maybe even more telling - that even if if the specs are indeed overly-optimistic, they still make my point...perhaps even more so.

I mean if (again, just for example) MAudio specs out the BX-8a "studio monitor" as 50-20k +/-5db and those specs are fudged to the optimistic side, that would not bode well at all for that speaker's designation as a "flat studio monitor". Taken at face value, those specs are mediocre at best, and frankly not even close to what most would consider as a flat and accurate studio monitor. And if MAudio is actually fudging those numbers (and I don't actually believe they are in this particular case, based upon independent test results), meaning the reality is even worse than those numbers, that would take that studio monitor even farther away from the myth of flat monitors than the numbers already suggest.

When looked at that way, the "barometer" is perhaps even more sensitive to the truth than eve the face value numbers indicate.

G.

You have a point about semantics. I've been using the word "hype" to describe the emphasis of one portion of the spectrum at the expense of others, as in "hyping" the mid-bass. I have no idea whether that's the most common usage. And as you say, that surely won't flatten the response. In truth, I've heard a lot of "home speakers" that have an extravagant mid-bass that I've never heard in even the cheapest speakers that are marketed as studio monitors; I've found that mid-bass hyping is way more common in the "home" variety.

And you're right about human hearing implying a lower-frequency fundamental that isn't really as strong as you hear it to be. The problem is that frequency response specs only tell you the end-points of the response curve; they don't tell you anything about what's going on in the body of the curve, which is the lion's share of what you actually hear. A speaker rated at 60 Hz to 17 KHz +/-5dB can be noticeably less colored than one rated at 40 Hz to 20 KHz +/- 3dB, if the first speaker only has 1 dB of ripple in the curve, and the second speaker has 3 dB of ripple. And that's my main point: frequency response specs—even when they're accurate and independently verified (thank you for that, by the way)—don't tell you anything about how accurate a speaker is, and they're not a solid foundation to evaluate or compare speakers from.

Jeez, Glenn, we sure do have a lot of back-and-forth for two guys who essentially agree on most points. :) It's fun, though. ;)

Jeez, Glenn, we sure do have a lot of back-and-forth for two guys who essentially agree on most points. :)
Yeah, that can easily happen in geek-talk forums :) but usually when I drill-down this deep into a subject in a puublic forum, it's for the edification of the non-particpating readers as much as it is a direct one-on-one conversation. I figured you already knew about the implied fundamental thing, for example; I explained that more to fill in the blanks for others reading this thread than an attempt to school you on something you obviously already understood.

Another thing that also happens all the time in forum back-and-forths like this is that the main principles wind up kind of talking past each other with slightly different agendas disguised as the same issue. In our case here, we have a slightly different focus when it comes to the accuracy or veracity of speaker response specifications.

I agree with virtually every point you make regarding the fuzziness of such specs. But none of those concerns, truthful as they may be, actually affects the main thesis for which they have been used in the article, which is to dispel the flat vs. hype, studio vs. home differential myth.

Every valid point you make has to be applied across the board to every speaker listed, regardless of it's designation. Such added global fuzziness to all the specs cannot cause the studio monitors and the home speakers to suddenly separate out in the list from each other in performance characteristics; the incestuous overlap between the two categories will remain.

And again, even if the specs were biased to look better than they actually were, this bias would be applied equally to both studio monitors and home speakers - manufacturers do not fudge the specs more for one category more than the other.

And while you're right that those specs cannot tell you how a speaker actually sounds, they do tell enough about the speaker to shed a truthful light on some the shadowy myths the original article addresses. Just two of many examples:

1. Again, the myth about "hyping" in home speakers almost never has to do with bumps in the middle of the spectrum somewhere. It's almost always expressed in some form of talking about how the edges of the spectrum - i.e. the bass and/or sub bass and the high freqs - are allegedly "hyped", because the unwashed masses like the sound of smiley-faced response curves. Well, when a manufacturer (again, just one example) specs a speaker's low-end response at (say) 55Hz +/- 3dB, you couldn't call that speaker "hyped" on the low end no matter how you want to fuzzy up that spec. And even if there were an upper bass bump for the implied fundamental thing, it would have to be one of <=3dB, which, while it may fill in some flabbiness in the low end sound of the speaker, would fall far short of any mythical definition of a "hyped" low end.

2. Regardless of how a speaker actually sounds, when a manufacturer has to spec their speaker out to +/- 5dB or more just to be able to give a somewhat "normal" frequency range, you could not rightfully call that speaker "flat" as expected of a "studio monitor". And if it does show a spec with a tighter spread (+/-3dB or less), but a narrower than expected frequency range, that is a dead giveaway to inaccuracy in the extended range. Again, not the kind of flat, extended performance one would expect from the mythical pigeonhole definition of a "studio monitor".

Frequency response specifications may not be quite the DNA test for speaker performance we would like. You're absolutely right about that. But useful information can be gleaned from them nonetheless, and they can indeed be used to truthfully dispel the illusion of performance disparity between the marketing classification of speakers as either "studio" or "home".

G.

Last edited:
Another thing that also happens all the time in forum back-and-forths like this is that the main principles wind up kind of talking past each other with slightly different agendas disguised as the same issue. In our case here, we have a slightly different focus when it comes to the accuracy or veracity of speaker response specifications.
Talking past each other. That's kind of what we're doing, now that you mention it. I think it's not so much a different focus as it is our only point of fundamental disagreement. You can't judge flatness of response from a speaker's frequency response spec because there's no flatness information in that spec.

Such added global fuzziness to all the specs cannot cause the studio monitors and the home speakers to suddenly separate out in the list from each other in performance characteristics; the incestuous overlap between the two categories will remain.
Agreed.

And again, even if the specs were biased to look better than they actually were, this bias would be applied equally to both studio monitors and home speakers - manufacturers do not fudge the specs more for one category more than the other.
We don't know that. Spec-fudging isn't transparent enough to allow us to draw conclusions about how it's applied.

And even if there were an upper bass bump for the implied fundamental thing, it would have to be one of <=3dB, which, while it may fill in some flabbiness in the low end sound of the speaker, would fall far short of any mythical definition of a "hyped" low end.
A 3 dB upper bass bump would be an immediately noticeable "more bass" situation.

2. Regardless of how a speaker actually sounds, when a manufacturer has to spec their speaker out to +/- 5dB or more just to be able to give a somewhat "normal" frequency range, you could not rightfully call that speaker "flat" as expected of a "studio monitor".
That spec has insufficient information to draw any conclusions about the speaker's flatness.

And if it does show a spec with a tighter spread (+/-3dB or less), but a narrower than expected frequency range, that is a dead giveaway to inaccuracy in the extended range. Again, not the kind of flat, extended performance one would expect from the mythical pigeonhole definition of a "studio monitor".
You're right—that would show inaccuracy in the extended range. But that still doesn't tell you anything about the speaker's flatness in the remaining 95% of the spectrum.

Hey you two, get a room! :-D

If we got a room, you wouldn't be able to watch, which you obviously are. :) I hope you brought your camera...

Reactions: yek
Where we are talking past each other is that I am concerned with the thesis of the original article, of dispelling the myths of disparity in performance between speaker marketing designations. I use response specs as a way of ILLUSTRATING that thesis, which they can and do do accurately and successfully.

And while you agree with the point of the article, the focus is on saying that the specs used are not unimpeachable enough to PROVE the thesis that you agree with.

I agree with you also, just like you agree with me. Where we disagree is on - and even there, only in some tech details - is whether the tip of the point here is the veracity of the myth or the veracity of speaker specs.

@ yek: Rex and I would have gotten a room by now, but we're too busy arguing over the wallpaper :).

G.

Nah, it's not about proof. Where we disagree is whether the specs chosen even support the thesis—whether you can glean any info about flatness of response from a frequency response spec.

Bottom line: if you know your monitors and you know how they sound, actual frequency response and flatness are almost secondary.

And for the life of me, I can't see why you object to the green wallpaper. :)

Last edited:
Glen & Rex
Let's cut to the chase.
What are your recommendations at various price points?
and/or
When will Pt2 of the article be available?
And I ask that on a serious note as I am not trying to throw fuel on the fire.

Back
Top Bottom