Name 7 guitar players you really like...

many. of course lots of the big names (hendrix, govan, metheny etc) that have already been mentioned - plus these fusion or metal players: -
allan holdsworth
doug cerrito
greg howe
luc lemay
james murphy
alex skolnick
joe pass
vinnie moore
kazuhito yamashita

&tons more
erik mongrain
scotty anderson ....

Last edited:
Mine would be..

Guthrie Govan
Andy Timmons
John Petrucci
Richie Kotzen
Steve Vai
Marco Sfogli
Andy James
Tom Quayle

These guys would be my top 8 on my list right now. I would put Martin Miller on my # 9.

I'm sure most of you here have heard Andy Timmons before, but on the off chance that some haven't, here's one of my fave moments:

This vid was the first time I heard him, and I still think it's one of his best performances, it's just magical :)

This was also the first video i clicked when i was checking him out,and i'm glad i did! I used to see him on Ibanez catalog with his signature guitar,and never knew who he was and the kind of music he plays. So one day,i searched him on youtube and came across this vid. I was hooked then and he's one of my fav guitarist right now! Not only he's a great player,he's also a very down to earth guy.

Jordan Rush (Abolish the Echelon)
Gutherie Govan
Joe Cocchi (within the ruins0
Michael Keene (The Faceless)
Mark Morton (lamb of god)
Tosin Abasi (AAL )
Luke Hoskins (Protest the Hero)
John Baizley (Baroness)

no particular order =)

Yeah so many great but obvious choices... One glaringly huge oversight IMO is

Pete Thorn

If you're not a fan of Pete's, then you don't like great guitar players! Not only is he a cool, totally approachable sort of fellow, he NEVER misses! He writes and plays his own excellent licks (mostly), and is theoretically and technically spot on... way under-rated!

Okay I'm done man-crushing! LOL

Yeah so many great but obvious choices... One glaringly huge oversight IMO is

Pete Thorn

If you're not a fan of Pete's, then you don't like great guitar players! Not only is he a cool, totally approachable sort of fellow, he NEVER misses! He writes and plays his own excellent licks (mostly), and is theoretically and technically spot on... way under-rated!

Okay I'm done man-crushing! LOL

Absolutely, he's great! :)

I guess for me there's some blurry lines between guitarists and the songs they wrote but, in no particular order:

-Brian May
-Slash
-Buddy Holly
-David Gilmour
-Eddie van Halen
-John Mayer
-The Edge

you sure this is in the right thread

Michael Shenker
Edward Van Halen
Uli Roth
John Sykes
Harry K. Cody
Yngwie Malmsteem
Eric Johnson

My other list
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Guy
Joe Walsh
Joe Bonamassa
Allan Holdsworth
Pat Metheny
Tom Morello

Qualifier......this is obviously not meant to be a shredders list. Pretty much a no shred zone actually.

1. Jimmy Page (sloppy playing yes, writing original-memorable-classic-tasty guitar riffs he is 2nd to none)
2. SRV
3. Elliott Randall
4. Joe Walsh
5. Robin Trower
6. Norman Brown
7. Pat Travers

Larry herring
Steve vai
Brent Mason
Tom Quayle
SRV
Guthrie Govan
Derrek Trucks
Tommy Emanuel
Joe Satriani
Malmsteen
Chet Atkins
Jimi
Jimmy Page
James Hetfield
Eddie
Dimebag
Jerry Cantrell
Both from slayer
Danny gatton
paul gilbert
Slash *
Ry Cooder

these are in no order they all had influence on me over time and i wont judge them on imperfections they may have in their personality (we all have them)

Last edited:
I base my list upon a mixture of technique, AND more importantly, songwriting. You can be a god at playing your guitar, but if you can`t compose a great song you`re nothing IMO.

- John Petrucci
- Toni Iommi
- Devin Townsend
- Gregor Mackintosh
- James Hetfield
- Billy Duffy
- Jon Nödtveidt

Back
Top Bottom