Name 7 guitar players you really like...

I guess for me there's some blurry lines between guitarists and the songs they wrote but, in no particular order:

-Brian May
-Slash
-Buddy Holly
-David Gilmour
-Eddie van Halen
-John Mayer
-The Edge

Prince
Brad Paisley
Clarence White
Jeff Beck
Randy Rhoads
Paul Kossoff
Peter Green
Danny Gatton
Roy Buchanan
Tommy Bolin
Rory Gallagher
Johnny Hiland

Last edited:
Jimmy Page
John Mayer
Stephen Carpenter
Fredrik & Marten from Meshuggah
Mike Einziger
James Hetfield
Dave Grohl

Love what those guys do with their music, songs, sounds and moods!
Also love Steve Vai, Hendrix etc. But I would choose any of these 7 guys over any other guitar player.
Combine their styles and you have a winner!

The guy with the long blond hair
The shaggy guy with leather and long beard
Mr big guns and magical fingers
Weird but talented guy
Mr spandax
Mr big hair
Mr/Mrs jury is still out

I'm going to play now...

Definitive top 3, in no particular order:
Danny Gatton
Rory Gallagher
Jimi Hendrix

Random 4:
Mark Knopfler
John Fogerty
BB King
Klaus Eichstadt
(yes, the guy from Ugly Kid Joe)

And of course, Cliff Chase :mrgreen

Guthrie Govan
Richie Kotzen
Brad Paisley
Andy Timmons
George Lynch
John Mayer
Vai

(Vito Bratta, Misha Mansoor, Jeff Loomis, Brent Mason, Vai, Tony Macalpine, John Sykes, Joe Bonamassa, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Nuno Bettencourt get honorable mention, off the top of my head)

Here are a few favorites that come to mind. Tired to name a few that weren't already stated.

Andy James
Marco Sfogli
Andy Timmons
Alex Skolnick
John Petrucci
Marty Friedman
Daniele Gottardo

Glenn Tipton.
James Dean Bradfield
Randy Rhoads
Elliott Randall, because he is a gentleman, and I think he liked my rig.
Clarky
PaulMapp8306 - I won't tell you who he really is, to protect his forum anonymity.
Francis Rossi - very haunting.

Lukather
EJ
Scott Henderson
Coldplay (love the vibe)
Bonamassa
Satch
me... ok I said "me" on the guitar players I'm not inspired by, but I still like me :)

Excellent list and you did the Hendrix/EVH comparison almost exactly as I was going to and have 4 of the 7 I would pick (JH, EVH, Vai and RR.) I would add:

Satriani - just a stunning amount of virtuosity and musical ability.
David Gilmour - One of the greatest songwriters ever and plays so musically he does not have to shred.
SRV - Who did the blues better than this?

1- +1000 for Vito Bratta. He was creative, unpredictible and yet very musical. This guy shoud be a legend!
2- Jimi Hendrix. Guitar playing was never the same again after Jimi. He is to the guitar what Einstein his to science.
3- Eddie Van Halen. He took Jimi's stuff and brang it to another level. So many inovative techniques and tones this guy created. HE is a legend!
4- Jason Becker. He was a virtuoso at 20 years old when ALS stroke him. I can't imagine how genius he would have become over the years. He was fast but very melodic at the same time. A totaly gifted musician who deserves respect!
5- George Lynch. Mr.Tone himsef. I begun paying guitar in the 80's hair metal era. George was the man. I wonder how many Hotrods Plexis Marshall sold because of George. I don't like his modern tone. Too much phaser and I hate Randalls.
6- Steve Vai. Because love him of hate him, he's just an amazing guitar player. Period.
7- Randy Rhoads. HE first combine Metal and Classical music. Forget about Mamsteen, Randy was the fu@#$ guy!!!!

Jimi Hendrix
Brian May
Gary Moore
Robben Ford
Davis Gilmour
Mark Knopfler
Jon Jorgenson

Bonus Round:
=========

Paul Gilbert
Steve Morse (being disqualified from Guitar Player of the Year for so many consecutive wins has to say SOMETHING)
Blues Saraceno
Duke Levine
Tim Pierce

I don't think my top 5 favorite players will ever change. The other two are players that are awesome and I've been listening to them a lot lately. But these might change over time. However I'm not sure with those two, as they are mindblowingly good.

John Petrucci
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Criss Oliva

Paul Gilbert
Jakub Zytecki

Wow, there are so many I want to mention but heres my top list (in no paticular order)

Slash
Tosin Abasi
Jimi Hendrix
Misha Mansoor
Steve Vai
Tony Macalpine
Jeff Loomis

just from the top of my head but there are several more!

Edit: Had to mention Andres Segovia, Javier Reyes, Guthrie Govan, Jose Gonzalez and that's it?... Gah, probably someone I forgot :p

Last edited:
Frank Zappa
Guthrie Govan
Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah)
Jerry Cantrell
Denis D`amour (Piggy- VoiVod)
Chuck Schuldiner
Link wray

I couldn't even come up with seven. I am much more of a songwriter than guitar player, so I am way more fascinated with Bruce Springsteen being able to tell a story in three verses for which others need a whole book, than in instrumental excellency. Heck, I even like listening to good riffing and chord work more than to leads and shredding! I know, I am weird and should be legally forbidden to own and use a guitar.
That being said, the ones that come to my mind would be:
- Rik Emmett
- Brian May
- Steve Rothery
Then there is the stuff that Steve Vai played on Alcatrazz's "Disturbing the Peace" and with the David Lee Roth band which I really liked.
Finally, a performance that I found very special: Jeff Beck's performance of "A Day in the Life" at the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame concert 2009!

EDIT:
I forgot Tom Morello.

Last edited:
Just as I thought, not so many jazz people around.
Here's my list:

Pat Metheny
Eivind Aarset
Steve Khan
Bill Frisell
John Scofield
Wayne Krantz
Scott Henderson

I love Andy Too. Love what he did w/ Sgt Pepper. His tone took a turn for the better when he switched to Mesa. But he's always been very good. While I do like this List. I also like the 7 Players you don't like list. You have an explanation for every guitarist you didn't like. I respect that. Although I disagree with the list. I still find it interesting to see what other players don't like as well as like.

Back
Top Bottom